Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

It is like watching a see-saw, one step forward...then a huge blow backwards, still the sane battle on....

DBRPMmMXcAAwdtK.jpg

Emmanuel Macron‏Verified account@EmmanuelMacron

TfyS4uXb_400x400.jpg

DBRMnujW0AAwsHn.jpg

Come here with us to work together on concrete solutions for our climate, our environment.

The site begins with a message from Macron. "Our job: To help you come work with us on our common challenges. Our commitment is ancient: France has always been a leader in the advancement of human rights and has left its mark in our common history. Our new challenge? Climate change."

He adds: "France is becoming an innovative hub of science, technology and progress. You may know our research hubs, such as La Sorbonne or Paris-Saclay. These are the places you have to come work in to develop new initiatives for our planet."

It is like watching a see-saw, one step forward...then a huge blow backwards, still the sane battle on....

DBRPMmMXcAAwdtK.jpg

Emmanuel Macron‏Verified account@EmmanuelMacron

TfyS4uXb_400x400.jpg

DBRMnujW0AAwsHn.jpg

Come here with us to work together on concrete solutions for our climate, our environment.

The site begins with a message from Macron. "Our job: To help you come work with us on our common challenges. Our commitment is ancient: France has always been a leader in the advancement of human rights and has left its mark in our common history. Our new challenge? Climate change."

He adds: "France is becoming an innovative hub of science, technology and progress. You may know our research hubs, such as La Sorbonne or Paris-Saclay. These are the places you have to come work in to develop new initiatives for our planet."

I like Macron. I think he will be good.

Reactions: kxk
POLL: Americans Trust James Comey Over Trump

By a 20-point margin, 46 percent to 26 percent, Americans say Comey is more honest and trustworthy than Trump, with the remainder unsure.

By a 17-point margin, 45 percent to 28 percent, Americans say that Trump made the wrong decision in firing Comey as the director of the FBI. In a poll taken last month, that margin was just 1 point.

Americans are learning

Look at the good leaders around the globe - all are younger.
We need younger more relevant and ethical leaders - not old men, who could care less how they fuck up the world they will soon depart
Younger leaders have something to lose, ie a liveable planet to survive

And the poor Brits are ANGRY....DUP IS FUCKED

593c127f16000022001156d9.jpeg

. “I’m seriously worried. The first thing that’s been said going into negotiations is lowering the abortion time limit. They’re not even in Number 10 and they’re fucking getting rid of our rights.”

“We’re here, we’re having a presence and we’re using our voice,” she added. Jaz, like thousands of under 24s at this election, used her first ever vote to support Labour on Thursday. “I imagined I’d wake up to much worse,” she said of the party’s performance.

A look back at the DUP’s previous statements on issues like abortion, gay rights, and climate change shows just how far away the party is from the vision for Britain offered by Corbyn and Labour during the campaign.

LABOR WON KENSINGTON!!!!

Harry & Wils home......most posh of posh spots, historical swing....I hope Kate votes Labor

Its all too weird. The world is weird.

I am finding the weird is so like school kids - dickhead JOCKS v GEEKS

If they don't learn to play together, they hate each other, and fight forever -
Eventually, GEEKS always win, JOCKS get attention until the GEEKS stop getting angry get smart and win:)

I just saw this on my facebook feed and it felt like it followed nicely the comment above.

"Yes.he is every bad boss, every harsh parent, every cruel selfish partner we have had. He is also our primal inner urge to justify our nasty words and bad behaviour. He is showing the world how damaging dishonesty, disloyalty, selfishness, and greed are. Pay heed, look within." ~ Kate Belle

"Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.”

Teresa May won't see out the term. She's far too weak. Not really leadership material. If she didn't have such a great buffer in the electorate she and her party would have been kicked out.

I just saw this on my facebook feed and it felt like it followed nicely the comment above.

"Yes.he is every bad boss, every harsh parent, every cruel selfish partner we have had. He is also our primal inner urge to justify our nasty words and bad behaviour. He is showing the world how damaging dishonesty, disloyalty, selfishness, and greed are. Pay heed, look within." ~ Kate Belle

"Trump’s grand and vulgar self-absorption is inviting all of us to examine our own selfishness. His ignorance calls us to attend to our own blind spots. The fears that he stokes and the isolation he promotes goad us to be braver, more generous.”

ohhhhhh Trump the bogeyman. Nightmare of the hippies and hipsters.

I hate hipsters.

Also nothing wrong with being selfish.

I hate hipsters.

Society would cease to function if everybody within it only focused on themselves.

I hate hipsters.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/cui-bono/201501/good-neutral-and-bad-selfishness interesting article on the benefits amd disadvantages of different types of selfish behaviour - ie the options of win/lose, lose/lose or win/win

Reactions: kxk
Boris Johnson circles Theresa May as she faces calls to resign

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe...n/news-story/a6b792d0a41caaf77eea596c7858ed81

JUNE 11, 201710:21PM
68f0ac5b3227a314f731271a4004403e

Theresa May’s future as leader remains under scrutiny after claims Boris Johnson is preparing a new bid to become Prime Minister. Picture: Getty.
  • BORIS Johnson is being sounded out to replace Theresa May as Prime Minister as Britain’s battered Conservative party descends into chaos off the back of Thursday’s disastrous election result.

The colourful Foreign Secretary, a leading Brexiteer, is circling the wounded Mrs May, who is struggling to hold her job and strike a deal with a minor party in Northern Ireland to form a minority government.

He tweeted yesterday that claims he would launch a leadership coup by Monday were “tripe’’ and that “I am backing Theresa May. Let’s get on with the job.’’

Follow
Boris Johnson

✔@BorisJohnson

Mail on Sunday tripe - I am backing Theresa may. Let's get on with the job

But the British press were being briefed by allies of Mr Johnson that he was being pressed to take on the lame duck Mrs May, whose disastrous gamble to take Britain to an early poll cost the Tories majority government.

The clock is ticking on the Tories to settle their leadership dispute with the formal negotiations over Brexit starting on Monday next week.

Mr Johnson, a popular former Tory mayor of London, was a prime ministerial aspirant himself last year until a blindside from former ally Michael Gove ruined his chances.

Mrs May yesterday caved into senior Tory demands and jettisoned her Joint Chiefs of Staff, Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill.

The development comes as problems emerged between the Conservatives and the Democratic Unionist Party from Northern Ireland, which will help Mrs May form minority Government after she fell sort of a majority.

311bafa35510869007a9732bc56bb824

Theresa May’s future as leader remains under scrutiny after claims Boris Johnson is preparing a new bid to become Prime Minister. Picture: AP.Source:AP

The DUP is resisting Tory efforts to lock in to a formal coalition, prompting Downing Street to send Chief Whip Gavin Williamson to Belfast to try for a deal so they can’t be held to ransom by the DUP’s 10 votes.

In a further complication, the pending deal is upsetting the Scottish Conservative Party, which saved Mrs May from total humiliation by taking 12 seats off the Scottish National Party on Thursday night and giving the Tories 13 seats in Scotland — their best result in 40 years.

The Scottish Conservatives leader, Ruth Davidson, is engaged to her same-sex partner, Jen Wilson, and wants to get married in her local church. The DUP is opposed to same-sex marriage and abortion. Ms Davidson has expressed her disproval by tweeting a link yesterday to a speech she gave at Amnesty’s Pride lecture in Belfast last year.

She said she had sought and received assurances from Mrs May that she would try to advance gay rights in Northern Ireland — the only part of the UK where same-sex marriage is not permitted — regardless of the DUP deal.

90548143b5a2d8daaf0ed240ecd28db9

Boris Johnson tweeted yesterday that claims he would launch a leadership coup by Monday were “tripe’’ and that “I am backing Theresa May. Let’s get on with the job.’’ Picture: AAP.Source:AAP

Further, it was agreed months ago that the Scottish Conservatives would break away from the English Conservatives party, because they are opposed to Mrs May’s plans for a “hard Brexit’’ and want to campaign against Mrs May’s push to take Britain out of the EU single market.

The two parties would maintain a close relationship despite the formal break.

Ms Hill went quietly, issuing a brief statement saying: “It’s been a pleasure to serve in government, and a pleasure to work with such an excellent Prime Minister.’’

But Mr Timothy hit out, saying the campaign had failed to spot the surge in Labour support — a direct criticism of Australian campaigner Sir Lynton Crosby, who was also involved in Malcolm Turnbull’s disastrous election campaign last year.

“The reason for the disappointing result was not the absence of support for Theresa May and the Conservatives but an unexpected surge in support for Labour,’’ he wrote on the Conservative Home website.

dfa9a05c93f6b688e93305eb8ea617e4

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May is under pressure after the Conservatives lost their parliamentary majority in Thursday's election. Picture: AP.Source:AP

“One can speculate about the reasons for this, but the simple truth is that Britain is a divided country: many are tired of austerity, many remain frustrated or angry about Brexit, and many younger people feel they lack the opportunities enjoyed by their parents’ generation.

“Ironically, the Prime Minister is the one political leader who understands this division, and who has been working to address it since she became Prime Minister last July,’’ he said.

“The Conservative election campaign, however, failed to get this and Theresa’s positive plan for the future across. It also failed to notice the surge in Labour support, because modern campaigning techniques require ever-narrower targeting of specific voters, and we were not talking to the people who decided to vote for Labour.’’[DOUBLEPOST=1497188784][/DOUBLEPOST]I love that photo of Boris

Back