Skip to main content

Zoe the redneck homophobe...or not?

I wouldn't be too surprised if she was geared towards homophobia in some form due to the likely nature of her community (apologies if that sounds presumptuous, but perhaps rightfully so)

Yes, you're absolutely correct. People in rural areas are far more likely than those living in major cities be homophobes, as the link below demonstrates.

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/file/2010/11/15/2045177/immoral.pdf?rand=1289799771462

Of course, it's worth noting that people living in disadvantaged suburban areas are also more likely to hold homophobic views. Essentially the geographic spread of these views is influenced more by education than anything else, because education is the main way in which socially progressive views are disseminated within the population.

Anyone who encourages boat people is encouraging the death of people at sea.

Being kind would be to discourage them from coming.

Shame on your ignorance.

View attachment 29229

Shame on you for being a callous moron.

What makes you think that you are more capable of assessing what constitutes a reasonable risk than the people whose lived experience has led them to conclude that getting a boat to Australia is the best option for them?

I'm sick of this latest trend within the public discourse to treat refugees as ignorant children who can't help but jump into the oncoming traffic when they see someone eating an ice cream over the other side of the road.

I'm happy to welcome genuine refugees to Australia. I listened to a radio program a few years ago that featured an interview with the mayor of Young (? I think it was Young, but it was definitely country NSW) who was so grateful to have Afghan refugees in his town because they were willing to take the jobs that the town folk weren't. They kept industries alive. A lot of the old town people were interviewed, too and they were all really welcoming.

** Sorry, folks. No references. But the interviewer was Terry Lane, so it was quite a few years ago.

Last edited:
I'm happy to welcome genuine refugees to Australia. I listened to a radio program a few years ago that featured an interview with the mayor of Young (? I think it was Young, but it was definitely country NSW) who was so grateful to have Afghan refugees in his town because they were willing to take the jobs that the town folk weren't. They kept industries alive. A lot of the old town people were interviewed, too and they were all really welcoming.

** Sorry, folks. No references. But the interviewer was Terry Lane, so it was quite a few years ago.

I have heard several reports like that, about the positive influence it has on the communities.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. People in rural areas are far more likely than those living in major cities be homophobes, as the link below demonstrates.

http://images.brisbanetimes.com.au/file/2010/11/15/2045177/immoral.pdf?rand=1289799771462

Of course, it's worth noting that people living in disadvantaged suburban areas are also more likely to hold homophobic views. Essentially the geographic spread of these views is influenced more by education than anything else, because education is the main way in which socially progressive views are disseminated within the population.

Yep, I know I'm correct, I just didn't want to sound like I was making presumptions about all people in rural areas, because that would certainly be inaccurate. Nevertheless, people should not misconstrue our statements as being intolerant of people in rural areas who hold such views, but rather as being intolerant of intolerance generally! There is intolerance everywhere, and I disapprove of it wherever it takes place, however statistics demonstrate that it is more prominent in rural areas.

Those really are staggering figures that you linked me to. I can't even begin to imagine how one's sexuality - something completely natural, something unavoidable, something we're born with - could possibly be immoral. Surely racists wouldn't say being African is immoral? Outrageous.

the religion of intolerance

Yep, I know I'm correct, I just didn't want to sound like I was making presumptions about all people in rural areas, because that would certainly be inaccurate. Nevertheless, people should not misconstrue our statements as being intolerant of people in rural areas who hold such views, but rather as being intolerant of intolerance generally! There is intolerance everywhere, and I disapprove of it wherever it takes place, however statistics demonstrate that it is more prominent in rural areas.

Those really are staggering figures that you linked me to. I can't even begin to imagine how one's sexuality - something completely natural, something unavoidable, something we're born with - could possibly be immoral. Surely racists wouldn't say being African is immoral? Outrageous.

If Afghan refugees are devout Muslims, and are likely to be extremely intolerant of gays and women, why would you invite that intolerance to live next door?

If Afghan refugees are devout Muslims, and are likely to be extremely intolerant of gays and women, why would you invite that intolerance to live next door?

Devout Christians are the same, darling. Islam, Christianity and Judaism all worship the same god. They have different prophets.

tali neighbours

Devout Christians are the same, darling. Islam, Christianity and Judaism all worship the same god. They have different prophets.

Have you heard of local Christians torturing and hanging gay teens, or stoning women, lately?

Some prophets and their followers are more tolerant than others.

^^

It's very hard to argue with ignorance. Perhaps read a broadsheet occasionally?

She never said anything about gays, just illegal immigrants. I agree with her. All you bleeding hearts have the right idea though!! Let everyone come here in droves! Our taxes can support the whole world! Let them bring their ideologies here too that are the cause of so much oppression and violence back home!

Look, we'd all love a perfect world. We'd love to help everyone, it's just not doable. We also have to police and regulate immigration otherwise it would be a catastrophic disaster.

Totally agree Auskat!

@ Hellbella. You say Zoe seems kind so hopefully she'll change her mind about the boat people. About 1,000 people have died trying to reach Australia by boats. Where is the kindness in that? We have the highest refugee intake per capita in the world already. Encouraging people to come by boats is not the way to go.

Back