Skip to main content

Zoe the redneck homophobe...or not?

H

Hellzbellz

Please somebody, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn that the promo of Zoe at the start of the show had her declaring that she was essentially a right wing anti-gay country girl etc. Obviously she's a country gal, which is cool, but she seems to be besties with Benji and I think she seems to be a real sweetie. I was quite shocked when I saw her buddy up with Ben at first and now I'm questioning my own memory. Have I missed something or made a mistake? I'm hoping she has grown to realize that there is nothing wrong with gay people nd grown due to this realization. But I can't recall if she really was a bigot in the first place.
Ploise explain....;)

She made a point of saying she's a conservative from the country who doesn't like boat people. "You can't expect to come here floating on piece of wood and expect to get in."

I think there was some hints of stuff early on but we've seen nothing.

I guess just read into it what you think. I certainly have my impression of what she means and why she brought this up.

I have no idea about her being a homophobe.

I don't know about the gay commuity but I remember her saying she was against the boat people. And I think the producers were hoping her and estelle would get into it.

I don't know about the gay commuity but I remember her saying she was against the boat people. And I think the producers were hoping her and estelle would get into it.

All we ever saw on that really was in episode 4? Ray saying that he has much smarter friends with him who toldhim to shut up about it, because it's a "tic tac" compared to the larger problem. So I think ray had some issues but conceded he was wrong when educated.

Ben made a point about how to him he sees the boat people thing as an issue about racism which he was brought up entirely against because his mum worked in a primary school with a lot of kids who didn't speak English because they were so new to the country.

Beyond that, I am not sure if there's ever been any real discussion on it and that was just a snippet from a dinner conversation.

I bet that the whole boat people intro was edited to all hell to make her seem like a trouble maker.

She ain't no Terri (BB8), that's for sure.

I gather she's not too keen on vegetarians but that hardly distinguishes her in that household.

Thanks for clarifying that for me guys.

Yeah I remember thinking it was a set up for Zoe and Estelle to have a verbal biffo too, in the way that they were both promo'd to be diametrical opposites.

Well I disagree wholeheartedly with Zoe's views about refugees but hopefully she'll change her mind at a later date as she does appear to have an inherently kind nature. Perhaps she just needs to see more of the world. That's what I'm guessing.

Yeah I remember thinking it was a set up for Zoe and Estelle to have a verbal biffo too, in the way that they were both promo'd to be diametrical opposites.

Well I disagree wholeheartedly with Zoe's views about refugees but hopefully she'll change her mind at a later date as she does appear to have an inherently kind nature. Perhaps she just needs to see more of the world. That's what I'm guessing.

I wouldn't be too surprised if she was geared towards homophobia in some form due to the likely nature of her community (apologies if that sounds presumptuous, but perhaps rightfully so), and therefore perhaps getting to know a homosexual, and recognising they are mostly just nice regular human beings eliminated any such views. A lot of the time that's all it takes.

I am from a mid level country town originally and would be willing to bet you are right on that one Micky, some of them are shameful

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I didn't want to accuse her of bigotry straight up but often political views such as hers go hand in hand. Hopefully if our ruminations are right bout her being anti-gay, she has grown. You're absolutely right, sometimes it is all it takes.

I wouldn't be too surprised if she was geared towards homophobia in some form due to the likely nature of her community (apologies if that sounds presumptuous, but perhaps rightfully so), and therefore perhaps getting to know a homosexual, and recognising they are mostly just nice regular human beings eliminated any such views. A lot of the time that's all it takes.

Being exposed to gay people and realizing they are normal homosapiens too that is ;)

She never said anything about gays, just illegal immigrants. I agree with her. All you bleeding hearts have the right idea though!! Let everyone come here in droves! Our taxes can support the whole world! Let them bring their ideologies here too that are the cause of so much oppression and violence back home!

Look, we'd all love a perfect world. We'd love to help everyone, it's just not doable. We also have to police and regulate immigration otherwise it would be a catastrophic disaster.

Can we please not allow this thread to turn into a debate on immigration issues.

Please somebody, anybody, correct me if I'm wrong but I could have sworn that the promo of Zoe at the start of the show had her declaring that she was essentially a right wing anti-gay country girl etc. Obviously she's a country gal, which is cool, but she seems to be besties with Benji and I think she seems to be a real sweetie. I was quite shocked when I saw her buddy up with Ben at first and now I'm questioning my own memory. Have I missed something or made a mistake? I'm hoping she has grown to realize that there is nothing wrong with gay people nd grown due to this realization. But I can't recall if she really was a bigot in the first place.
Ploise explain....;)

Well she did not state she was anti-gay, however she did state she is against boat people coming to Australia.

you like seeing kids eaten by sharks, do you?

Anyone who encourages boat people is encouraging the death of people at sea.

Being kind would be to discourage them from coming.

Shame on your ignorance.

521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who encourages boat people is encouraging the death of people at sea.

Being kind would be to discourage them from coming.

Shame on your ignorance.

Can we please not allow this thread to turn into a debate on immigration issues.

Especially considering Marty is incapable of discussing this issue with any semblance of sensible or intelligent thought.

I was Born In the Far North I have lived in cities all over the world and your assertion is not only wrong but laughable to me

cheers

Back