Skip to main content

Your favourite recipe

Chicken schnitzels

If you have never made your own chicken schnitzels, I promise they are ten times better than bought ones!
Ratios of the flour/breadcrumbs/egg depends on how many schnitzels you end up with, just add more as needed

Ingredients
-2x chicken breast fillets
-half a packet of Panko breadcrumbs
-1 cup of flour (can be plain or self-raising, both have worked for me)
-lemon zest-1 lemon
-1 egg, beaten
-salt/pepper

Method-
Take 3 bowls and put the egg in one, flour in another and the bread crumbs in the last bowl. Put the lemon rind into the bread crumb bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix together.

Next, take your chicken breasts and slice them into schnitzels. I just hold the breast, look at it side on and place my knife depending on how thick I want them and cut horizontally , I usually get 3 or 4 to each breast.

The next step is coating them. Using your left hand, grab each schnitzel and coat it in the flour and then the egg. Then, still using your left hand, place it into the bread crumb bowl. With your right hand grab the crumbs and put them onto the top side and pat them into the chicken. Then turn over and repeat with other side. (Separating your hands makes less messy fingers)

Once all the schnitzels are coated, put some oil (I use olive oil, I think some others are better for frying though) into your pan and fill up until it would be half way up the schnitzels. Turn onto med-high heat and once heated, put the chicken in in batches, flipping once until both sides are golden and cooked through.

I usually serve it with sweet potato mash, honey carrots and some corn. Yum!

You can tweak the recipe by adding Parmesan/other herbs any way you like.
Reading this made me salivate.

I love crumbed chicken. I've never made it myself though.

GF AND VEGAN BANANA & PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS

My gf and I are huge procrasti-bakers. I found this recipe on the web and put my own little spin on it. This is great for anyone with allergies / food requirements (obv not those with nut allergies), as she's a Coeliac and a vegan (which covers my lactose intol v. nicely).

Ingredients:
- 2 "flax eggs" (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp water all up), can use 2 eggs if not vegan
- 2 medium-ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (can use honey if not vegan)
- 3 tbsp almond milk (nicer to use than soy) (can use regular milk if not vegan)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking POWDER (have used baking soda once before by mistake. never again)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup + 1/2 tbsp oat flour

1. Preheat oven to 175C and line a muffin tin with 8 paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix flaxseed + water and letting rest for a few minutes.
  3. Next add bananas and mash. Add maple syrup, baking powder, vanilla, almond milk, peanut butter and stir.
  4. Add almond meal and oat flour and stir once more. If you're using flax eggs, its safe to taste for flavour to test the sweetness. If you want it sweeter, add maple syrup to taste.
  5. Pour mixture into baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes; or until a tooth pick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean and they become somewhat firm to the touch with a little give.
  6. Remove and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Then cool all the way on a cooling rack
  7. Store in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap for several days. Freeze for longer storage.
You can also add toppings. I usually like to spread a bit of peanut butter over the finished product and stick a dried banana into it, but I've also put chopped almonds on top when it gets to about the 15-minute mark of baking, which is also pretty nice.

I've found they're an awesome (and ethical!) post-workout protein snack.

GF AND VEGAN BANANA & PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS

My gf and I are huge procrasti-bakers. I found this recipe on the web and put my own little spin on it. This is great for anyone with allergies / food requirements (obv not those with nut allergies), as she's a Coeliac and a vegan (which covers my lactose intol v. nicely).

Ingredients:
- 2 "flax eggs" (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp water all up), can use 2 eggs if not vegan
- 2 medium-ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (can use honey if not vegan)
- 3 tbsp almond milk (nicer to use than soy) (can use regular milk if not vegan)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking POWDER (have used baking soda once before by mistake. never again)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup + 1/2 tbsp oat flour

1. Preheat oven to 175C and line a muffin tin with 8 paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix flaxseed + water and letting rest for a few minutes.
  3. Next add bananas and mash. Add maple syrup, baking powder, vanilla, almond milk, peanut butter and stir.
  4. Add almond meal and oat flour and stir once more. If you're using flax eggs, its safe to taste for flavour to test the sweetness. If you want it sweeter, add maple syrup to taste.
  5. Pour mixture into baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes; or until a tooth pick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean and they become somewhat firm to the touch with a little give.
  6. Remove and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Then cool all the way on a cooling rack
  7. Store in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap for several days. Freeze for longer storage.
You can also add toppings. I usually like to spread a bit of peanut butter over the finished product and stick a dried banana into it, but I've also put chopped almonds on top when it gets to about the 15-minute mark of baking, which is also pretty nice.

I've found they're an awesome (and ethical!) post-workout protein snack.

Anything you recommend to sub. for the peanut butter?

Anything you recommend to sub. for the peanut butter?

The original recipe doesn't even have it in there. We just add it in because we love the PB and Banana combo

ETA: If it's just that you don't like the peanut butter taste but you want the goodness of nuts, you could probably use almond butter? It's pretty much the same thing but made with almonds instead.

Reading this made me salivate.

I love crumbed chicken. I've never made it myself though.

Try this! The Panko bread crumbs make them nice and crunchy :)[DOUBLEPOST=1418378284][/DOUBLEPOST]Does anyone have any Christmas cookie recipes? I'm keen to make some.

Try this! The Panko bread crumbs make them nice and crunchy :)[DOUBLEPOST=1418378284][/DOUBLEPOST]Does anyone have any Christmas cookie recipes? I'm keen to make some.
I just got home from seeing a 90's rock cover band at a bowling club (the drummer is my friend's brother) and we had dinner first. After having this on the mind I just HAD to have schnitzel. It was good, but I'm sure home made is better.

A shortbread or a sugar cookie?[DOUBLEPOST=1418409811][/DOUBLEPOST]
The original recipe doesn't even have it in there. We just add it in because we love the PB and Banana combo

ETA: If it's just that you don't like the peanut butter taste but you want the goodness of nuts, you could probably use almond butter? It's pretty much the same thing but made with almonds instead.

Thank you. I just don't like peanut butter but would be happy to work with almond butter.:thumbsup:

A shortbread or a sugar cookie?[DOUBLEPOST=1418409811][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thank you. I just don't like peanut butter but would be happy to work with almond butter.:thumbsup:

Umm I actually have no idea what the difference is... :facepalm: So either? :)

@khaleesi

Butter Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
250g butter, softened
1 Cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups plain flour

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350° F. (175 c)
In the bowl of your mixer cream butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in extracts and egg.
In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer turn out the dough onto a counter top surface. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.

DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side (closer to 1/4 inch rather than 1/8).
Bake at 350F ( 175) for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.

----------------------

The Shortbread, I just use the good old one that's on the McKenzie's Rice Flour box. It's pretty fail safe, but be warned, it's a delicate mixture so if you have aircon near the kitchen, have it on cool and 17 deg! lol

Here is the recipe that's on the Rice Flour Box.

http://www.mckenziesfoods.com.au/recipe/19/Traditional_Shortbread

:)

@khaleesi

Butter Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
250g butter, softened
1 Cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups plain flour

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350° F. (175 c)
In the bowl of your mixer cream butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in extracts and egg.
In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer turn out the dough onto a counter top surface. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.

DO NOT CHILL THE DOUGH. Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side (closer to 1/4 inch rather than 1/8).
Bake at 350F ( 175) for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.

----------------------

The Shortbread, I just use the good old one that's on the McKenzie's Rice Flour box. It's pretty fail safe, but be warned, it's a delicate mixture so if you have aircon near the kitchen, have it on cool and 17 deg! lol

Here is the recipe that's on the Rice Flour Box.

http://www.mckenziesfoods.com.au/recipe/19/Traditional_Shortbread

:)
Thank you so much!! I went to the home ware store yesterday and was supposed to only buy an Xmas tree cookie cutter and came out with an arm load of stuff so I need to get baking asap :)

Thank you so much!! I went to the home ware store yesterday and was supposed to only buy an Xmas tree cookie cutter and came out with an arm load of stuff so I need to get baking asap :)

It's always nice to have new kitchen toys with which to play.:woot:

Found some ninja shaped cookie cutters the other day, so thought I might try my hand at Gingerbread, so as an ode to BB in the days of yore, have our own Ginger Ninja's in the house! :laugh:

Back