Skip to main content

XXXI Rio Olympiad

Fiona

Is anyone taking an interest in and watching the Games? If so, what sports are you particularly interested in? For me it's cycling, weightlifting, male gymnastics, rowing, sailing, some of the equestrian, diving, shooting, golf.

Yesterday marked the start of the Rio Olympics with a spectacular opening ceremony. Its impressive even though their budget was slashed in half. I loved the Goon Bag Waltz at the start. Very multicultural.

Channel 7s coverage is a bit... well... shit. Their dedicated Channels seems to switch between events without warning. AND ALSO! They're fucking not showing the archery on freeview. They want me to pay 20$ so I can get "Premium" mode on their stupid fucking app, which FYI doesn't work to begin with. Yes the live streaming on the sports they do show is impressive, I don't want to have to wait a solid 5 minutes for the app to load up.

Anyways, rant over. The olympics are back again and it should be mentioned that the Mascots are probably the best I have ever seen.
XMZF_BH5q6LWmrgiKUEgskUkkRLTysN1N0YyH1Ziwy0.png

The cycling road race cobbled section of the course was appalling. I guess there was no effluent to deal with, so that's a plus. Very much hoping there wont be any terrorist acts. And yes, the mascots are very timothy leary.

Its gonna be interesting to see the long distance swimming events, especially if they are going through places filled with, as you call it, "effluent". That cycling course was pretty rough for the competitors which is a shame.

So Australia is currently number 1 on the medal tally board with 2 Golds! Whoooo!

Its gonna be interesting to see the long distance swimming events, especially if they are going through places filled with, as you call it, "effluent". That cycling course was pretty rough for the competitors which is a shame.

So Australia is currently number 1 on the medal tally board with 2 Golds! Whoooo!
It was amusing watching the bottles go flying on the cobbled bit. Excellently tricky course. Btw, who changed the title of the thread?

Yes indeed, earlier this year a few of the Aussie tour surfers refused to do the Brazil leg of the tour because of the water quality. It was a big call given that they sacrificed precious World Championship Tour points to do so.

Hopefully, with the 'dolling up' of Rio and surrounds, the issues such as water quality etc. may get some more attention.

As always, it is a question of $$ but hope is hope!

It was amusing watching the bottles go flying on the cobbled bit. Excellently tricky course. Btw, who changed the title of the thread?
Did you start an Olympics thread as well Hahaha?

If you did, I think the lovely Admins have merged them both together. This thread goes under the title I used.

Did you start an Olympics thread as well Hahaha?

If you did, I think the lovely Admins have merged them both together. This thread goes under the title I used.
It does, but uses my name. Teamwork. Right now, I'm catching up on the two gold medal swims as I was asleep for Mack's swim and came in halfway through for the relay. Night shift is going to be a bonus for live viewing. Also saw that leg break once on facebook. Once is enough. Yikes!

watching a replay of the Archery - loving the terry towelling hats

the aussie opening ceremony stuff looked great. Breaking with the long tradition of awefulness.

the canucks looked ok except for that huge marijuana leaf on the back

the aussie opening ceremony stuff looked great. Breaking with the long tradition of awefulness.

the canucks looked ok except for that huge marijuana leaf on the back
I saw a picture that implied that our uniforms looked like the new Medicare cards. Similar colour scheme. I reckon ours looked fresh, more light and a good break from the more harsh hues we've used in the past. I like the use of that putty/grey shade and white always looks crisp. I would like a look one time that isn't so suity. Have more flowing materials and designs.

I saw a picture that implied that our uniforms looked like the new Medicare cards. Similar colour scheme. I reckon ours looked fresh, more light and a good break from the more harsh hues we've used in the past. I like the use of that putty/grey shade and white always looks crisp. I would like a look one time that isn't so suity. Have more flowing materials and designs.
Id like to see what we did in the 50s, all au blazers the same accross all sports. dark green blazer with the crest and no 'artistic interpretation' I sound like a boring old stick in the mud when in fact, I am the opposite. Mind you i'd like them to look smart which is very grandma.

id might not be a bad idea to engage the taxpayers on what represents the country either

Id like to see what we did in the 50s, all au blazers the same accross all sports. dark green blazer with the crest and no 'artistic interpretation' I sound like a boring old stick in the mud when in fact, I am the opposite. Mind you i'd like them to look smart which is very grandma.

id might not be a bad idea to engage the taxpayers on what represents the country either
Yes, looking smart is the thing. It's a tough gig designing the uniforms. I do like the swimmers tracksuits. Lightweight and smart, lol. Clean lines. I know what you are saying though. Mind you, back in those days, everyone marched and I mean marched in, in strict formation which suited the severe blazer look.
A debacle if ever there was one if the taxpayers got in on the act. Somehow I think that class, smartness and downright good taste would be thrown to the wind.

Yes, looking smart is the thing. It's a tough gig designing the uniforms. I do like the swimmers tracksuits. Lightweight and smart, lol. Clean lines. I know what you are saying though. Mind you, back in those days, everyone marched and I mean marched in, in strict formation which suited the severe blazer look.
A debacle if ever there was one if the taxpayers got in on the act. Somehow I think that class, smartness and downright good taste would be thrown to the wind.
yep i played junior rugby for australia and the blazer was bottle green with gold pin stripes. the caps were the same with gold tassels. And yes, i think the swim tracksuits are great, the green is like an dusty blue green. I also like that we dont have the usa style gold lame 8 foot block lettering accross the back

yep i played junior rugby for australia and the blazer was bottle green with gold pin stripes. the caps were the same with gold tassels. And yes, i think the swim tracksuits are great, the green is like an dusty blue green. I also like that we dont have the usa style gold lame 8 foot block lettering accross the back
Lame being the operative word as opposed to larmay ( I don't know how to get the accent onto the e), but that's the Americans for you. Less is more really. I really like our coat of arms and done well, it almost has a filigree look about it.
I like your picture too. Lovely colours and it looks very relaxing.

Back