Skip to main content

XXXI Rio Olympiad

The track and field events are my favourites in the Olympics. Being a track and field competitor at school probably has something to do with my love of it.

I still get goosebumps with Cathy Freeman winning in 2000.
Track, swimming and tennis are my least favourite sports at the Games, but of course I get why lots of folks like them. I'm not a runner or a swimmer and prefer squash to tennis. Weight lifting and shooting would be my favourites I think.

The track and field events are my favourites in the Olympics. Being a track and field competitor at school probably has something to do with my love of it.

I still get goosebumps with Cathy Freeman winning in 2000.

I love track and field - the atmosphere is electric. I also love outdoorsy stuff like the cycling road races, triathlon, marathon etc. - Rio is a beautiful and peaceful city and I hope these Games can show that. I love/hate the swimming. I love Gymnastics and I admire how much skill they have

Track, swimming and tennis are my least favourite sports at the Games, but of course I get why lots of folks like them. I'm not a runner or a swimmer and prefer squash to tennis. Weight lifting and shooting would be my favourites I think.
I was very good in running events at school (bragging rights) :shamefully: I usually came first or second at the very least.

I always tried out for long jump, shot-put, javelin, high-jump, you name it. Swimming never has never really appealed to me but that is not to say I am not proud of our past and present swimmers. I so loved when the Aussie team made those loud mouth Yanks eat their words back in 2000 when they said they would "Smash us like guitars" and we beat them in the 4 x 4 relay. :D

I love track and field - the atmosphere is electric. I also love outdoorsy stuff like the cycling road races, triathlon, marathon etc. - Rio is a beautiful and peaceful city and I hope these Games can show that. I love/hate the swimming. I love Gymnastics and I admire how much skill they have
I'm with you on the marathon etc. Great stuff and quite often great scenery in there too. I was a volunteer driver at the Comm Games here in Melbourne and yes, the whole thing was an electric atmosphere. The closing ceremony at the G was unforgettable for the sheer vibe alone.

Gymnastics is such a beautiful and graceful sport to watch.

Spot on delcan. :thumbsup:

I so WISH I was in Rio although I would be probably partying hard in the street rather than watching any of the events (except make time to watch the track and field events). :shamefully:

:D

Ooh, I do like watching volleyball (court or beachside). Hahaha my sis and I wanted to experience the Olympics back in 2000 and we got cheapskate tickets to watch Egypt and Japan play in volleyball and we were pissing ourselves laughing at how excited the Japanese spectators were waving their little flags. :laugh:

I think Japan won? Lol we weren't really invested in either team winning but just wanted to say we were at the Olympic Games.

Sad right? :redface:

Ooh, I do like watching volleyball (court or beachside). Hahaha my sis and I wanted to experience the Olympics back in 2000 and we got cheapskate tickets to watch Egypt and Japan play in volleyball and we were pissing ourselves laughing at how excited the Japanese spectators were waving there little flags. :laugh:

I think Japan won? Lol we weren't really invested in either team winning but just wanted to say we were at the Olympic Games.

Not sad - it was an once in a lifetime experience!

Ooh, I do like watching volleyball (court or beachside). Hahaha my sis and I wanted to experience the Olympics back in 2000 and we got cheapskate tickets to watch Egypt and Japan play in volleyball and we were pissing ourselves laughing at how excited the Japanese spectators were waving their little flags. :laugh:

Lol

I have a very funny but embarrasing story to tell. At school, the Teachers had a running race at the end of the day and I being a spectator, watching on the sidelines was waiting for the teachers to run past and for some reason, stepped out from behind the viewing line just as they were running past and collided with my Maths teacher and we both went down like a sack of potatoes.

I was the laughing stock in highschool for weeks on end after that.:arghh:

The Bureau of Statistics will at least know where the athletes are on Census night. Is anyone having issues with their census as I know of many friends who are having problems within the last hour and a half. I did mine at 1840 before the 'rush'. Technically not a Rio topic but I did say athletes, haha.

The Bureau of Statistics will at least know where the athletes are on Census night. Is anyone having issues with their census as I know of many friends who are having problems within the last hour and a half. I did mine at 1840 before the 'rush'. Technically not a Rio topic but I did say athletes, haha.
I did mine and my flatmates census start time 5.45pm online without any issues.

Damn some of those questions were very invasive. I am surprised they didn't ask how many times we poop or wee in the night?

Last edited:
I did mine and my flatmates census start time 5.45pm without any issues.

Damn some of those questions were very invasive. I am surprised they didn't ask how many times we poop or wee in the night?
I wanted questions about pets. Oh, the wee in the night question would get some excellent answers.

I wanted questions about pets. Oh, the wee in the night question would get some excellent answers.
Yeah funny that no questions about pets was asked? Good point you raise.

I was very nearly tempted to answer the religious question with "Jedi" or "Tin Foil Hat Brigade" :p

Back on track (excuse the pun) I will be looking forward to next week when the "Track and field" starts.

I love all of it.

Yeah funny that no questions about pets was asked? Good point you raise.

I was very nearly tempted to answer the religious question with "Jedi" or "Tin Foil Hat Brigade" :p
I heard on the early news or read it that the Jedi people were going to have a knock on their door by the powers that be. Possibly a 'please explain' thing? No idea if that would actually happen though.

I heard on the early news or read it that the Jedi people were going to have a knock on their door by the powers that be. Possibly a 'please explain' thing? No idea if that would actually happen though.
Lol lucky I didn't put that down as my answer then. :hilarious:
If I did, I would say, go and see Pauline Hanson as she is the "Jedi Master" of "Please explain"? and could speak on my behalf.:D

Last edited:
My mate who is turning 40 tomorrow just missed out qualifying for the mens trampolining in the 2000 Olympics.:arghh: He was gutted. I won't remind him of it when I see him tomorrow. :muted:

I am watching the men on the bars on 7two and they are really impressive. So much strength and grace.

Back