Skip to main content

Would you rather another 2008 or Nine Series in comparison to BB 2020

Would you rather one of previous era's of BBAU over 2020 on Seven?

• Total voters

matts bb

Always Watching đź‘€
So some love the new format, some don't.
Some only dislike it because of the way its been pre-recorded and concocted in an edit suite over many months.

We all crave the original era of BBAU but we know we will never get that again.However with what we are presented today, if you had the choice would you rather another 2008 style series or even a Nine era (2012 - 2014) series over what we are being served up today? A series (though Nine broke the Ten mould) that is more genuine or respectful of the old format? I would be really interested to hear everyone thoughts.

Nines era wasn't perfect eg:
  • The lack of daylight in the later season into the house which allowed for more timeline manipulation of the day
  • Surley (Lol)
  • Sonia was pretty bad in 2014. I feel like if she wasn't so heavily pregnant in that series in that year she may have really come into her own, it seemed she really didn't want to be there. 2013 was better in hosting but still not perfect, but hey the woman was allowed to have a Bub!
  • Theme songs were pretty average
  • The Eviction set in 2014 was pretty lazy no real step up from 2013 (even if they did take @marquisite 's deign idea about coloured LED tubes surrounding the screen)
  • Lack of streaming
  • The Nomination Booth lol
  • Stupid things they forced housemates to do to generate content
I'm sure everyone here could continue the above list but there were some good things about that era eg:
  • The 2012 and 2013 house were actually pretty damn nice. A real step up in the way they were made and furnished. 2014 was horrible but the Kitchen and Bathroom were great.
  • Although long episodes and the fact Nine shoved the show to 8:30pm at night, we did still have a more genuine procedural throughout the series in contract to 2020 **this is the big stand out thing from Nines era in comparison to Sevens**
  • Some great housemates were chosen during this era.
2008 on Ten was the budget "revival" series, however I feel K&JO were the demise of the series and the EP and the reason why it flopped.
  • House was tacky
  • Stunt driven things to drive ratings that didn't work and flopped (Pam An, The Flight simulator)
  • The Eviction "revolver" most stupid ever designed thing they ever did, when we all knew the auditorium and the house weren't lined up next to each other.
In your eyes what were the reasons 2008 failed? Was it the more diverse cast that didn't resonate? Was it the fact of bringing back Terri despite she had been evicted? Was it just boring?

To me, personally I would take 2008 over Seven any day even iuf i had to put up with the crap above. Nines era I would rather over Seven if I had the choice of one of the other. Nine's Although Alex M was a bit of a destroyer at times, it did still link in to the original format. However I will be the first to admit in 2012 - 2014 I didin't watch every episode. I lost interest in some period and also got fatigued due to the 90 sometimes 120min eps each night.

Curious to discuss this and memorises of what was good and bad in these series?

This 2020 version is... not good.

I thought the Nine era was execrable at the time, but it's like bloody Shakespeare compared to this. There were lots of interesting personalities and interactions between them. The kindy stuff of the Nine era is being replicated with none of the good bits, in Seven's attempt. I would kill for one decent conversation, one argument, one storyline even.

Still I watch. Haven't bothered with any of the 7plus extras for a few weeks though.

I prefer early BB series. Kyle and Jackie O, no. But there are still housemates from 2008 I remember, and quite a few from 2020 I have already completely forgotten. So...

I’m one of the few that actually enjoyed Kyle’s (Kyle & Jackie-o) style & humour. It’s quite “off” and I can see how people could have gotten offended sometimes, but I think the way you receive him is with a pinch of salt. They were hundreds of times more entertaining than Sonia’s more scripted, inflexible, kindly & cordial manner. It appears that because she does not offend, people like her. Does it take intelligence to understand good humour? I dont know.

BB had its climax in around 2005 and has devolved into our modern PC culture. Lost it’s willingness to dare with openess and expression.

On the most recent Big Bro show, Sonia was saying that this is the best Big Brother yet. This whole “this is so well setup for celeb BB” thing, I assume, is about the PC culture and the respect that the show applies to peoples quirks and flaws. They can go out into the world and not feel ashamed with themselves. I feel that’s what Sonia is getting at when she says it’s the best BB yet, because otherwise I can’t see it and she must have rose coloured glasses on or some shit..

I will miss intelligent humour from our BB hosts.. Thank God / Ganesh / Universe / Thor / Valhalla / your deity of choice for these forums as the show is much more tolerable accompanied by y’all!

2008 was crazy and OTT, from the casting, the house and game dynamics (The ONE BED, the Kombi, The Flight Simulator, The first few evictions we nominated, HM's evict through the revolver, The Hand Grenades) the Celebrity drop ins (how many Carson cross promo specials did we get? 2? Pam Anderson, Corey Worthington).

It makes me wonder how 2009 would've been designed/pitched for concept had the show continued, would it have tried to go 'back to basics' or tried something different? would the house have gone through any major remodel? (Like how 2001/2, 2003/4 and 2006/7 houses had a lot of core structure similarities?).

2008 was crazy and OTT, from the casting, the house and game dynamics (The ONE BED, the Kombi, The Flight Simulator, The first few evictions we nominated, HM's evict through the revolver, The Hand Grenades) the Celebrity drop ins (how many Carson cross promo specials did we get? 2? Pam Anderson, Corey Worthington).

It makes me wonder how 2009 would've been designed/pitched for concept had the show continued, would it have tried to go 'back to basics' or tried something different? would the house have gone through any major remodel? (Like how 2001/2, 2003/4 and 2006/7 houses had a lot of core structure similarities?).

At least we got Brigette in 2008. Loved her

I feel like there's a lot of romanticism for much of the Ten era. I maintain that 2004 was the last truly good year on account of a strong cast, but let's not forget that Noble came in hot with twist after twist ($1m prize, HM "secrets", Miriam) and a completely cooked production (MLS scandal, Bree's eviction). Gretel's attitude started to sour in '05 (and I wonder why with their stupid young, sexy and single gimmick), '06 and '07 are largely forgettable, and the less we say about '08 the better.

I haven't tried to watch a full episode of this new pre-recorded BB on seven yet...lol. The other day I tried to watch it but when I noticed they weren't even telling the viewers who the housemates were voting for, I thought yep that's enough for me with this seven pre-recorded format. Sad thing is I don't think we will ever see anything like a live BB until this COVID-19 is well and truly over. But I don't see this happening anytime soon, maybe in a few years time if this pre-recorded format of BB lasts that long on seven it might be some sort of live show again? Who knows.

But the original question if I had to pick one yes i'd choose BB08 on ten over anything after it. Oh that also brings back memories of Kyle and Jackie-o who hosted that season...lol o_O

I’m one of the few that actually enjoyed Kyle’s (Kyle & Jackie-o) style & humour. It’s quite “off” and I can see how people could have gotten offended sometimes, but I think the way you receive him is with a pinch of salt. They were hundreds of times more entertaining than Sonia’s more scripted, inflexible, kindly & cordial manner. It appears that because she does not offend, people like her. Does it take intelligence to understand good humour? I dont know.

BB had its climax in around 2005 and has devolved into our modern PC culture. Lost it’s willingness to dare with openess and expression.

I will miss intelligent humour from our BB hosts.. Thank God / Ganesh / Universe / Thor / Valhalla / your deity of choice for these forums as the show is much more tolerable accompanied by y’all!

I think BB started its downhill decline from the season 2006 turkey slap scandal onwards. The ratings for season 2007 were noticeably down and 2008 season ratings were down yet again.

I saw 2007 and 2008 in full several years later and liked both, the casts were interesting and the budget hadn't been slashed to the extent that happened later.
Same, I'm someone who watched 2008 in full after it aired and really enjoyed it. Alot of the people who enjoyed 2008 seem to be people who watched it later. And it's highly recommended among people asking for series to watch.

Just a theory, maybe 2008 wasn't enjoyed or appreciated as much by people who watched it at the time because of the tire of the show, the controversial history it had, and the big changes from previous series, hence stopping them from embracing it. Maybe people were just over it by then and the change was overwhelming for them to accept. Just an observation.

2008 is under rated. As is the NINE area. 2008-2014 obviously had faults in terms of casting, production as well as too many gimmicks but there was some real stars in those seasons. 2012/2013 were easily criticised while on air, but I’m sure it wouldn’t feel too different from past ten seasons if you were to simply just rewatch them online. 2012 at least had some really entertaining housemates, 3 nominees a week, no massive midweek evictions or too many double evictions, and also had the Sunday-Friday schedule so credit due where it’s worth.

If Nine had kept live streaming and a 24/7 presence then 2012 and 2013 are not too bad at all. 2014 was just a production mess though, regardless of your opinion on the cast.

2008 took the risk in shaking up the format and were wise enough to undo it when it was clear they didn't work. It's a shame Ten didn't give it an extra year as much would have been learned from the series.

Same, I'm someone who watched 2008 in full after it aired and really enjoyed it. Alot of the people who enjoyed 2008 seem to be people who watched it later. And it's highly recommended among people asking for series to watch.

Just a theory, maybe 2008 wasn't enjoyed or appreciated as much by people who watched it at the time because of the tire of the show, the controversial history it had, and the big changes from previous series, hence stopping them from embracing it. Maybe people were just over it by then and the change was overwhelming for them to accept. Just an observation.

Yes, I don't know so much about the lead up to it, but even from the perspective of what followed the bigger budget is obvious.

I can understand that they put some twists/changes in that might have annoyed some people, but effort was still put into it. And the presenting changed, but even they were better than Sonia for me.

And the cast did have decent variety and that helps a lot. I haven't had a proper look at the seasons before 2007 yet, but I had a brief look at the start of some and it looked like quite a lot of young pretty faces (mainly just there for showmances I guess) and that actually put me off. Similarly the last two CH4 series had a good cast for me, maybe they messed about with the changes also but they still felt like a big show which hadn't given up so much on a broader audience. In both UK and AU versions when Big Brother changes broadcasters it just seems to get weaker, they just want to live off the show's past reputation and cut costs and just go for a younger smaller audience even.

And a little bit of controversy and edginess is more real and interesting and I don't mind that. It wouldn't surprise me if the media had a negative impact on the show like happened in the UK version. The media likes to build something up and then destroy it, and then move on to the next thing.

Last edited:
Back