Skip to main content

Would you rather another 2008 or Nine Series in comparison to BB 2020

Would you rather one of previous era's of BBAU over 2020 on Seven?

• Total voters
The Eviction "revolver" most stupid ever designed thing they ever did, when we all knew the auditorium and the house weren't lined up next to each other.

It was worse than that!

The revolver was supposed to work in a different way, but it ended in a bit of a disaster. for the production For the first eviction, all three nominees had to enter the revolver, where they were “spun around” until Big Brother revealed their fate, e.g. for two people, the revolver would stop at the door back into the house, while it stopped at the exit door for the other one.

But they screwed it up. Big Brother said something like “Housemates, please welcome back David”. The door dopened and stepped out of the revolver, basically revealing that Saxon was the one who got evicted. They even had a small group of people and Jackie O in front of the house.

Only after that fail, they’ve added a second revolver to the studio set and pretended that studio and house were connected. And I guess they’ve done that so that the revolver still had a purpose.

I think BB started its downhill decline from the season 2006 turkey slap scandal onwards. The ratings for season 2007 were noticeably down and 2008 season ratings were down yet again.
I agree. I think a large part that caused the decline was that it was starting to become less fashionable to watch it. Johnnie Howie was asking for them to cut the show off. It was being ridiculed in the media and getting a lot of negative attention. To an extent where people might have been coy about speaking about it with their friends, or even ridiculed for watching it. The comments section in the newspapers would be filled with John Doe's (why is it always a freaking John or a Mark) yelling at them for covering this "rubbish"! All this would help to create a downward trend. We have to remember that this was the start of a lot of reality television diversity, we then had Biggest Loser and other reality shows starting up. Those other shows were almost there to show that reality television did not have to have "rotten morals" or whatever it may be. Of course, they were missing the point, since in my opinion, Big Brother was a way to discuss these issues. Something Jeff Probst does well. But serious issues were covered and ultimately, PR could have done a better job and probably switched the format to something resembling the 2020 model for 3 or 4 years and the show could have continued. It was murky water though, that's for sure.

Another consideration I have for this 2020 format, is the house itself. Which is a bunch of planks of plywood. No sound proofing, probably sounds like rain falling on a tin roof when its raining. Also the area around it seems to be public property, so if they were to attempt a live version, would it actually be possible to have a proper security line around the house? I suspect not.

It was worse than that!

The revolver was supposed to work in a different way, but it ended in a bit of a disaster. for the production For the first eviction, all three nominees had to enter the revolver, where they were “spun around” until Big Brother revealed their fate, e.g. for two people, the revolver would stop at the door back into the house, while it stopped at the exit door for the other one.

But they screwed it up. Big Brother said something like “Housemates, please welcome back David”. The door dopened and stepped out of the revolver, basically revealing that Saxon was the one who got evicted. They even had a small group of people and Jackie O in front of the house.

Only after that fail, they’ve added a second revolver to the studio set and pretended that studio and house were connected. And I guess they’ve done that so that the revolver still had a purpose.
This is very interesting

Those other shows were almost there to show that reality television did not have to have "rotten morals" or whatever it may be. Of course, they were missing the point, since in my opinion, Big Brother was a way to discuss these issues.

I think a lot of also misremember the Turkey Slap being the catalyst/final straw for axing Uncut/Adults Only. When in fact Adults Only only wrapped up a few weeks prior based on the long ACMA investigation into the show that stemmed from the complaints in 2005 about the shows content (IIRC it was the Uncut segment they were discussing the 'Cleveland Steamer' and 'Dirty Sanchez' fetishes that was considered too far). 2005 also had that whole 'Reverse Kanga' scandal (that I think was even referenced in the daily show?) later on so a lot of poop related stuff!

The Turkey Slap moved that investigation into the regulations of the online available stuff like the AO section of the site and the live streams etc.

the show just wasn’t the same after gretel left. people gave her so much shit, but she was so genuinely witty and funny and quick-on-her-feet and actually seemed like she watched the show and had opinions on the housemates instead of producers spitting canned lines in her ear a la sonia.

axing uncut/adults only was a mistake too, and not even just for pervy voyeuristic reasons - you just don’t get the full picture of the housemates if you only show the sanitized bits of what they say. i remember my opinion changing on a lot of the male housemates after seeing the way they talked about women on those shows and i have no doubt my mind would have changed for the 07/08 series too

Last edited:
axing uncut/adults only was a mistake too - you just don’t get the full picture of the housemates if you only show the sanitized bits of what they say. i remember my opinion changing on a lot of the male housemates after seeing the way they talked about women on those shows and i have no doubt my mind would have changed for the 07/08 series too

Axing uncut also minimises the airtime for particular housemates. Some people genuinely have inappropriate/toilet humour, myself included. So their scenes can't be shown in family friendly times lots and then they appear to be boring.

How are people bringing up that 2008 had the revolving door bs, but there is no mention of Nine doing the same thing in 2012?

They made it look like the tunnel you walked down after walking through the eviction door led to the stage. The first eviction had this made more obvious when after talking to the house and leaving so Sonia could throw the show into the commercial break - she then almost immediately went back to the house to do the actual eviction which would air a 3-4 minutes later so the housemate could appear on stage, when she showed up on the TV Michael (I think it was) shouted something like "that was quick. You barely left" and they couldn't cover it up. 😂

How are people bringing up that 2008 had the revolving door bs, but there is no mention of Nine doing the same thing in 2012?

They made it look like the tunnel you walked down after walking through the eviction door led to the stage. The first eviction had this made more obvious when after talking to the house and leaving so Sonia could throw the show into the commercial break - she then almost immediately went back to the house to do the actual eviction which would air a 3-4 minutes later so the housemate could appear on stage, when she showed up on the TV Michael (I think it was) shouted something like "that was quick. You barely left" and they couldn't cover it up. 😂

You’re right they had me fooled. I was like 11 or 12 at the time so it was my first time watching big brother properly and I honestly thought the stage and were adjacent to each other until my mum showed me photos of us visiting The house when I was younger and showed me the stage was a short walk away.

Back