Skip to main content

Where has the social experiment gone?

sergie

One of the biggest draws of Big Brother for me has always been the social experiment side of it, even from day one. Faux relationships and bitching behind peoples backs have their moments, but they never last and never ask the viewer any interesting questions.

Channel 9 loves it's forced story lines and as a result the social experiment part has fallen to the way side. It hasn't completely disappeared, the producers have done a few little things here and there, but they are never fleshed out, never have any consequences (or major consequences), and never really go anywhere. They half ass it.

Take the following for example; A few weeks ago they had a task where Ben and Matt were trying to build a tower out of a deck of cards. Outside there was a button that when pushed played music. Unbeknown to the housemates every time they pushed the button a fan would turn on and knock down the card tower.

That idea is not completely terrible, but it failed for a few reasons. Most of all it was a tiny bit of a weekly task that had little to no effect on anything.

Instead, imagine if they put a button in the backyard and told them "that whoever pushed the button first would recieve unprecedented power and potential bad side effects". Tell them that anyone can push it at any time and watch the entertainment play out.

There's a few ways it could play out;

Maybe the housemates will come to a unanimous conclusion that no one should push it, but after a while curiosity will start to get the best of them and paranoia will spread. Someone might sneak out at night and push it. Someone will break.

Maybe someone pushes it right away. That's when you have the power inside be completely fake (but you don't tell the housemates that). After the button is pushed you tell the house that the housemate to push the button is given the power of evicting anyone of their choosing and that the person they pick will be evicted at the upcoming eviction in the following week. Now all of this is completely fake (no one is getting evicted), but the housemates don't know that. Imagine the tension and drama it would cause.

Or maybe no one pushes it and the idea completely flops.

But the most interesting part of it is the questions it asks. If you were a housemate would you push it? Would you say you weren't going to push it and then sneak out at night and do so? If you weren't going to push it, would you trust the other housemates? Would you guard it? Would you become paranoid? Etc. etc.

All of these questions raise interesting thoughts. You know what's not interesting? Wondering if Jade and Ed are going to hook up or not.

I say cut the fake stories and fake romances and bring back the social experiment of it all. I came up with that idea in 5 seconds, surely the producers can come up with something better. If not, steal it, I don't care. Just bring back the interesting side of Big Brother again. Ask the audience some tough questions!

put a button in the diary room, call them in one by one tell them if they push it they get to pick an envelope out of a bag of envelopes some will have prizes (cash. trips. night for 2 in the PS) some will have consequences that might affect the whole house like bringing Tully back, making the HG's dance for 2 hours straight person that picked the envelope has to wear a kangaroo outfit for 24 hours etc etc

I love this idea. Why are you not working for BB? This idea has alot of potential. I would love to see something like this in next years BB.
Even if they brought back the cleaning duties that they had in 2005 and onwards. When they were handed out there was always a bit of an issue with someone, it created a lot of drama. Please BB no more love stories of will they won't they.

"Social experiment" is long gone.

Just take a look at this latest news of Boog being yet another aspiring actor. Yes, everyone is getting sick of this being news but I think we're up to something like 7(?) aspiring actors/models/whatever. Sure, people can have this profession but it's getting to the point where the only people they will cast are aspiring extroverted media wannabes looking for their big break.

So you end up waving any genuine activity out the window, since the housemates naturally see themselves on a stage (the stage of life, or whichever metaphor you want to use). The editing and production doesn't help - so many contrived and forced story lines, selective editing. My god if they introduce another faux relationship in 2014 I will throw hot soup in Alex M's face (not really, it'll be cold soup).

Big Brother 2001 = Social experiment

Big Brother 2013 = Home and Away with voting lines.

I can't wait for Tully to return. She was never worried about stirring the pot, crying, being obsessive... Twas great!

One of the biggest draws of Big Brother for me has always been the social experiment side of it, even from day one. Faux relationships and bitching behind peoples backs have their moments, but they never last and never ask the viewer any interesting questions.

Channel 9 loves it's forced story lines and as a result the social experiment part has fallen to the way side. It hasn't completely disappeared, the producers have done a few little things here and there, but they are never fleshed out, never have any consequences (or major consequences), and never really go anywhere. They half ass it.

Take the following for example; A few weeks ago they had a task where Ben and Matt were trying to build a tower out of a deck of cards. Outside there was a button that when pushed played music. Unbeknown to the housemates every time they pushed the button a fan would turn on and knock down the card tower.

That idea is not completely terrible, but it failed for a few reasons. Most of all it was a tiny bit of a weekly task that had little to no effect on anything.

Instead, imagine if they put a button in the backyard and told them "that whoever pushed the button first would recieve unprecedented power and potential bad side effects". Tell them that anyone can push it at any time and watch the entertainment play out.

Maybe the housemates will come to a unanimous conclusion that no one should push it, but after a while curiosity will start to get the best of them and paranoia will spread. Someone might sneak out at night and push it. Someone will break.

Maybe someone pushes it right away. That's when you have the power inside be completely fake (but you don't tell the housemates that). After the button is pushed you tell the house that the housemate to push the button is given the power of evicting anyone of their choosing and that the person they pick will be evicted at the upcoming eviction in the following week. Now all of this is completely fake (no one is getting evicted), but the housemates don't know that. Imagine the tension and drama it would cause.

But the most interesting part of it is the questions it asks. If you were a housemate would you push it? Would you say you weren't going to push it and then sneak out at night and do so? If you weren't going to push it, would you trust the other housemates? Would you guard it? Would you become paranoid? Etc. etc.

All of these questions raise interesting thoughts. You know what's not interesting? Wondering if Jade and Ed are going to hook up or not.

I say cut the fake stories and fake romances and bring back the social experiment of it all. I came up with that idea in 5 seconds, surely the producers can come up with something better. If not, steal it, I don't care. Just bring back the interesting side of Big Brother again. Ask the audience some tough questions!

I don't think I heard of BB being refered to as a 'social experiment' in the last 10 years.

"Social experiment" is long gone.

Just take a look at this latest news of Boog being yet another aspiring actor. Yes, everyone is getting sick of this being news but I think we're up to something like 7(?) aspiring actors/models/whatever. Sure, people can have this profession but it's getting to the point where the only people they will cast are aspiring extroverted media wannabes looking for their big break.

So you end up waving any genuine activity out the window, since the housemates naturally see themselves on a stage (the stage of life, or whichever metaphor you want to use). The editing and production doesn't help - so many contrived and forced story lines, selective editing. My god if they introduce another faux relationship in 2014 I will throw hot soup in Alex M's face (not really, it'll be cold soup).

Big Brother 2001 = Social experiment

Big Brother 2013 = Home and Away with voting lines.

Home and away is a really good show

I don't think I heard of BB being refered to as a 'social experiment' in the last 10 years.

You haven't heard Ben, in his frequent soliloquies to mum and nana, off-handedly mention that for him BB is a social experiment but for the money-hungry backstabbers (everyone else) it's a cut-throat game, because unlike him they're there for the cash not the experience?

Jealous.

Maybe Tully will return as the voice of BB!

Tully's voice: "This... is Big Brother. Drew, to the Diary Room."

Imagine the look on all the faces of the HMs as they think Drew will be given special privileges. Drew himself would melt. Ben would start weeping. Tim would go around to all the HMs and ask, "What do you think that means." Mikkayla would go into a fit of rage.

That would be a great social experiment.

I know you some of you guys are trolling me when you say to put Tully back in the house, but I honestly wouldn't mind. She has bad character and I dislike her a lot, but I will take anything at this point to spice the house up. Or drop a nuclear bomb on the house, something, ANYTHING! Please! The whole thing has become so dull and predictable.

I love this idea. Why are you not working for BB? This idea has alot of potential. I would love to see something like this in next years BB.
Even if they brought back the cleaning duties that they had in 2005 and onwards. When they were handed out there was always a bit of an issue with someone, it created a lot of drama. Please BB no more love stories of will they won't they.

There's just so many things they could do to spice the house up. Instead they let the housemates twiddle their thumbs sunbaking and sleeping. The most interesting thing going on at the moment is the same old intruder bullshit. The entire scenario plays out the same way every single time despite there being different people every season. It's so contrived at this point that it makes you feel sick.

[MENTION=1]Tim[/MENTION] is right on the money about it being Home and Away with voting lines, which is depressing as fuck...

BBUS does a version of this called "Pandora's Box" but I think only the HOH has the option to choose it. If it was in the back yard Tim would have pushed the button before the instructions were finished.

I agree I think almost every task should have some psychological element to it. Like the Least to Most task always stirs up emotions. I liked BBUK task one year where they split up friends into 2 different groups & they had to compete for control of areas of the house - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, pool, diary room, etc. Half had to sleep in sleeping bags outside the bedroom. Half ate basic rations. Only half nominated from the other half. This went on for a week & had a dramatic impact on people's friendships plus forced people to bond together that hadn't really dealt with each other.

Seems like BBUK had the push the button task for music & it caused them to fail the food budget but it triggered the "pandora's box" aspect of everything beyond that making the HM question, should we or shouldn't we.

I forgot the cleaning duties, making bread, etc. I wonder if they still do this or if it's just not shown. BBAU isn't as filthy as some of the other houses.

Last edited:
Big Brother US does some of what your suggesting. Contests where you win money and have to divide it up between two other people, similar game to showdown where you win immunity but you have to bid to give up something, shave your head, wear a chicken suit. They also do something called Pandora's box. The head of household can win something for themselves if they open the box but it unleashes an unknown punishment on the rest of the house.

I love the idea of moral dilemmas, you really get to see HM true colors. Your idea would also let us get beyond the spoon fed edit of who is "Good" v. "Bad".

Last edited:
there will never be another BB like the first they didnt know what was going on, now they try to think too much on how they can win,

There's definitely too much self-reflection happening in there in the attempt to accommodate public opinion. They haven't really embraced the cultural aspect of big brother and not try predict or control everything. Once you go in there, all the things which are yours are now big brother's cause he can make up any rule whatsoever to get things so going in there with a very possessive frame of mind just frustrates and breaks down people. Some people mindfuck themselves so badly they lose a bit of themselves in the process.

As far as I know Ben is the only one who doesn't care about the strategy factor half as much as some others. No one seems to get that you cant win by putting up all you defenses in the attempt to manipulate people for public support. Viewers don't even vote anymore for good people but vote for the entertaining ones instead because really that's the only thing they know and have to go on

You haven't heard Ben, in his frequent soliloquies to mum and nana, off-handedly mention that for him BB is a social experiment but for the money-hungry backstabbers (everyone else) it's a cut-throat game, because unlike him they're there for the cash not the experience?

Jealous.

I haven't heard Ben - period.

I don't see how being "there for the cash" and social experimentation are mutually exclusive.

Is it just me, or does anybody else much prefer last years Big Brother than this years? I think last years housemates were so much more, well, genuine. I feel like it wasn't about the money to a lot of them, and they were all pretty regular, everyday people. Then when you think about it, this years housemates are almost all 'playing the game' and again, if you think about it
- Jade was a runner up on Italy's next top model
- Tim was the host for hit list TV, Aswell as the streaker on Rihanna's plane a few years ago that gained wideworld attention
- Tahan's boyfriend is a famous V8 supercar driver
- Ed played AFL, his brother is also an AFL player
- Tully models and was runner up to Ruby Rose in girlfriend model search 2003
- Heidi is a radio announcer
- Justynn has modeled with Jennifer Hawkins, was an extra in the great gatsby, and also acts/dances/models etc
- Boog is a model
And there are many other speculations that other housemates are actors, or at least are very fake. Like, why can't there just be normal people in the house.

Back