Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English#Regional_variation

There are some notable regional variations in the pronunciations of certain words. The trap‑bath split is more complete in South Australia, which had later direct settlement from the British Isles than other parts of the country, which were settled while the trap-bath split was more substantially incomplete. Words such as dance, advance, plant, graph, example and answer are pronounced with /aː/ (as in father) far more frequently in South Australia while elsewhere in Australia the older /æ/ (as in mad) is more common.[26] L-vocalisation is also more common in South Australia than other states. In Western Australian and Queensland English, the vowels in near and square are typically realised as centring diphthongs ("nee-ya"), whereas in the other states they may also be realised as monophthongs.[27] A feature common in Victorian English is salary–celery merger, whereby a Victorian pronunciation of Ellen may sound like Alan and Victoria's capital city Melbourne may sound like Malbourne to speakers from other states. There is also regional variation in /uː/ before /l/ (as in school and pool).

Is this true about South Australia, Mr @Meglos?

Yes and no.
I'm not a native South Australian speaker, having lived in Broken Hill until I was 14, so I don't have that posh SA inflection.
So I say 'dance' and 'chance' to rhyme with 'ants', but most people here say 'darnce' and 'charnce', including my younger brother.
I certainly don't do the 'nee-ya' thing, and don't know anyone who does.

The Celery/Salary Merger is extremely apparent to me in people from Victoria (for example tv personalities like Dary;l Somers would say "here is the latest elbum by Tina Arena as featured on the Allen show".

Yes and no.
I'm not a native South Australian speaker, having lived in Broken Hill until I was 14, so I don't have that posh SA inflection.
So I say 'dance' and 'chance' to rhyme with 'ants', but most people here say 'darnce' and 'charnce', including my younger brother.
I certainly don't do the 'nee-ya' thing, and don't know anyone who does.

The Celery/Salary Merger is extremely apparent to me in people from Victoria (for example tv personalities like Dary;l Somers would say "here is the latest elbum by Tina Arena as featured on the Allen show".

that makes sense

but not dollars.

would you consider tina arena a bogan?

would you consider tina arena a bogan?

No, not a bogan.
She's more like in the same category as Anthony Callea, acting a bit snootier and posher than they are, and slightly looking down their noses at people.
Sophie Monk is a bogan and embraces it, without any pretence of being posh.

No, not a bogan.
She's more like in the same category as Anthony Callea, acting a bit snootier and posher than they are, and slightly looking down their noses at people.
Sophie Monk is a bogan and embraces it, without any pretence of being posh.

i don't think tina is snooty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back