Skip to main content

What music or songs are you listening to?

This song here was a massive hit when it was realeased back in the early 1990's. I even had a mate of mine that learnt how to sing it just like the original singer did....lol. Yes for those nostalgia types I remember people even playing this song through their CB radio's back then through the microphone on the "call" channel. Cheers! :D

He’s Canadian so of course it got a lot of airplay here.

Robin S is the biggest celebrity that I’ve met. She preformed at a pride festival in 2011 and I worked for the promoter that hired her. I had breakfast with her and her manager after a night of heavy partying and zero sleep. Nice lady and an amazing live performer.

He’s Canadian so of course it got a lot of airplay here.
You Canadians are responsible for a lot of my favourite music. But I'll post Diana Krall's When I look in your eyes because I've seen her in concert. She was a pianist & only started singing late in life. Additioally, I love that she is married to Elvis Costello.

The Tea Party… Not just a bunch of insane conservatives. Probably one of the most experimental alternative Canadian bands of the late 90’s.

It’s from the mid-90’s so Radio Shack still existed in Canada. Well it does but it’s just a different name now and has different ownership.

That's cool mate, so you can physically still walk into a radio shack store over there in Canada? Do they still have much to do with hobby electronics these days or is it just mainly an outlet for selling TV's and computers etc?

Here in Australia we used to have "Tandy Electronics" which was basically our version of "Radio Shack". There was stores everywhere back in the 1990's and possibly into the early 2000's also. Sadly they all closed quite a few years ago now. When I was younger and into electronics I would frequent all these types of stores before the days of mobile phones and the internet. Was a different era I guess. It's funny that back then like most things in life you just think they are always going to be there all the time. Then before you know it they are all gone.

Another local electronics retailer I also miss was called "Dick Smith Electronics". It's probably these stores and their hobby kits that got me started into electronics back in the early 1990's. It also helped that we also had an "electronics" class at high school where we actually constructed and learnt about basic electronics all with the help of the kits that were available at the time from "Dick Smith Electronics". Good times back then. Cheers! :)

That's cool mate, so you can physically still walk into a radio shack store over there in Canada? Do they still have much to do with hobby electronics these days or is it just mainly an outlet for selling TV's and computers etc?

Here in Australia we used to have "Tandy Electronics" which was basically our version of "Radio Shack". There was stores everywhere back in the 1990's and possibly into the early 2000's also. Sadly they all closed quite a few years ago now. When I was younger and into electronics I would frequent all these types of stores before the days of mobile phones and the internet. Was a different era I guess. It's funny that back then like most things in life you just think they are always going to be there all the time. Then before you know it they are all gone.

Another local electronics retailer I also miss was called "Dick Smith Electronics". It's probably these stores and their hobby kits that got me started into electronics back in the early 1990's. It also helped that we also had an "electronics" class at high school where we actually constructed and learnt about basic electronics all with the help of the kits that were available at the time from "Dick Smith Electronics". Good times back then. Cheers! :)
It’s called The Source these days and it’s more of a smaller version of a Best Buy these days with more mainstream electronics and less of the hobby shop it was in the 90’s. By the time it was taken over in the early oughts Radio Shack was already becoming more of the expanded mobile phone store it is today.

It’s called The Source these days and it’s more of a smaller version of a Best Buy these days with more mainstream electronics and less of the hobby shop it was in the 90’s. By the time it was taken over in the early oughts Radio Shack was already becoming more of the expanded mobile phone store it is today.

Thanks for that mate! Yes I mentioned this as our local "Dick Smith Electronics" stores towards their last few years in operation went the same way as you have just mentioned your stores have become. They done away with pretty much all the hobby electronics and it just basically became an outlet for electronics like TV's, computers and other oddball electronics items. Sadly this didn't last long and now they are all gone.

Thanks for that mate! Yes I mentioned this as our local "Dick Smith Electronics" stores towards their last few years in operation went the same way as you have just mentioned your stores have become. They done away with pretty much all the hobby electronics and it just basically became an outlet for electronics like TV's, computers and other oddball electronics items. Sadly this didn't last long and now they are all gone.
Sad. Luckily The Source has stuck around… They’re quite handy as they’re in almost every mall. I wouldn’t necessarily go there to buy a TV or a laptop for that matter as the selection is pretty small but definitely handy for those small spur of the moment purchases where a trip to Best Buy is too much or ordering from Amazon isn’t ideal.

TBH as online retailing is becoming more dominant even the larger electronics stores like Best Buy probably won’t be around too much longer.

Back