Skip to main content

What music or songs are you listening to?

Cool, but you know if you really want to get full on nostalgic you could possibly purchase an original vinyl record or audio cassette of this Madonna album from 1983 on ebay? LOL! You know there has been a resurgence of vinyl records for a while now. I just wish there would be a resurgence of the good old audio cassettes again. They are more what I grew up with and these days it's very hard to purchase any new high quality audio cassettes at all.

**looks to the left of my room where i'm sitting, yes there is a nice old Nakamichi cassette deck sitting on top of a classic Pioneer CD player and that's stacked on a classic Pioneer receiver amplifier**. Na i'm not nostalgic and stuck in the past at all...? lol.

I walked into one of those new sort of "vinyl revival" stores some years ago as I saw some classic hifi equipment through the front window. Anyway I started chatting with the bloke who owned the store and I may have hinted that I do some of my own repairs to some classic cassette decks and he was like wow there is not many people out there that touch these old things let alone try to repair them anymore. He was basically offering me a job to take on some repairs of some hifi equipment at the store if I was interested. Amazing walk into a classic hifi store and get offered a job on the spot...lol

Just goes to show you how much a throw away society we have become now, most things are all built to perform but not to last. Also they are not designed to be repaired but to be discarded and they want you to keep buying new things all the time.

Anyway always trying to keep it old school all the way here! LOL! :thumbsup: :) Cheers!

video unavailable :( grrrr

With the record players your in luck as they are still readily available to purchase brand new you can get a nice high quality turntable if you want to or there is even quite alot of cheapies available out there. I am guessing with the more higher quality units there should be new spare "needles" if it ever needs replacing. I bought a brand new turntable from JBHIFI many years ago which I only used a couple of times and it has sat in the original box unused now for probably around 20 years. Speaking of JBHIFI the last time I walked in there I saw a huge selection of brand new vinyl records for sale! I had to turn and look again as I walked past them I couldn't believe my eyes to see so many brand new records for sale right now at JBHIFI. There is certainly a resurgence or revival of vinyl records happening at the moment, I never saw that many records available at JBHIFI (if any records at all) back in the 1990's and early 2000's when I used to always visit that store in those days to purchase CD's and other stuff.

Speaking of records I was quite young when I actually played a few records that were here and there around the house, I never really got into the records much as a kid in the 1980's it was the decade of the audio cassette then growing up into the 1990's we then started to get into the CD's. Which I do remember we all thought were awesome in the sense that the sound was crystal clear and perfect no matter how many times you played a CD. I bought a few original audio cassettes when I was younger but most of my music collection is all on the CD format and i'd hate to think how much money I have spent on CD's back in the early 90's right through until about the early 2000's. I still have all the original CD's I have purchased in a draw under this computer desk...lol. Back then I used to pay around $25 to $30 a CD.

Speaking of audio cassettes I bought quite a few NOS (New Old Stock) audio cassettes from ebay some years ago from all around the globe. I mainly bought the "Chrome" position tapes as they have a real nice higher quality sound when recorded on than just the regular "Normal" position tapes. Problem with those cassettes is though over time I guess they can degrade and the actual plastic tape wears down and also lose it's original recording properties. I bought a bunch of really old cassette tapes some years ago from some op-shops and a few of them as I played them the actual tape snapped while playing or rewinding.

As for the Pioneer hifi components they are just some original items that I purchased from back in the 1990's when most of those things were the big thing back then.

Yes I also have a collection of some audio cassettes that I recorded with my mates from back in the 1990's. It's so weird and funny to listen back to them these days some of the crazy stuff we'd talk about and get upto back then. I even have audio recordings of talking to people on a CB radio from back in those days recorded on cassette! Nostalgia at it's peak! LOL! :D

Cheers and thanks for the chat Dotti! Have an awesome day! :)
I have seen that JB-HIFI sell turntables and vinyl records. I am curious as to the demographic of the people buying them. 🤔 I don't want to be presumptuous but my guess is it would be old school people. I just don't think today's generation would be into vinyl records. I hope I'm wrong.

My CD collection is currently sitting in a big plastic tub and I hear you regarding how much money was spent buying those damn things. 🤦‍♀️
I guess they served their purpose at the time. 😁

I remember waiting patiently by the radio back in the day waiting for a favourite song to come on, and record it. I must of had dozens of mix tapes. Omg, you talking about taping CB conversations really made me feel old.😂 Spent many a Friday night on them with my sis and another friend chatting to randoms.

This one is embarrassing but funny. If you're familiar with EVP, I tried my hand at trying to record spirits. 👻 I was in my teens and probably would have shit myself if I captured a voice on tape.😳 I never had any luck by the way. 😏😂

I have seen that JB-HIFI sell turntables and vinyl records. I am curious as to the demographic of the people buying them. 🤔 I don't want to be presumptuous but my guess is it would be old school people. I just don't think today's generation would be into vinyl records. I hope I'm wrong.

My CD collection is currently sitting in a big plastic tub and I hear you regarding how much money was spent buying those damn things. 🤦‍♀️
I guess they served their purpose at the time. 😁

I remember waiting patiently by the radio back in the day waiting for a favourite song to come on, and record it. I must of had dozens of mix tapes. Omg, you talking about taping CB conversations really made me feel old.😂 Spent many a Friday night on them with my sis and another friend chatting to randoms.

This one is embarrassing but funny. If you're familiar with EVP, I tried my hand at trying to record spirits. 👻 I was in my teens and probably would have shit myself if I captured a voice on tape.😳 I never had any luck by the way. 😏😂

I have actually seen some younger people buying records believe it or not. Maybe it's more in the inner trendy sort of hipster suburbs here in Melbourne but I have seen them walking home from the local record store and each person holding a newly purchased vinyl record. Believe me I couldn't actually believe it myself when I saw it!

LOL to the CD's in the plastic tub, but I guess the only good thing about the CD's even after so many years as long as they aren't badly scratched you can throw them in a CD player and they will sound just the same as the day you bought them! LOL! ;)

Yes I loved the good old CB radio, back in the days before mobile phones and the internet! I used to chat to some high school friends on the CB after school and on the weekends. Did you ever go to an "eyeball" lol? Yes that's when you get to meet some of your radio friends in person..lol
I do recall a couple of "eyeballs" where there was a big get together of around 20 or more people from the surrounding suburbs. Good old times.

That also reminds me of those good old days when you could receive almost anything transmitted on the airwaves on your radio scanner. I remember back then I could listen to people's in house cordless phones all the time. I could also listen in on many of the old analogue signal mobile phone calls back then also. One of the main things I used to tune into most of the time was the local police channel, this is a true story my mate had just dropped me off at home late one night and I went in the house and turned on my scanner. Well you wouldn't believe it my mate had got pulled over on the way home by a patrol car and they did a background check on my mate and also checked his vehicles details on the system. I heard all of it on the radio and I told my mate the next day when I spoke to him "So did the cops pull you up the other night on the way home by any chance"? LOL! He was like yeah how did you know? I said well let me just tell you that you have no criminal record on file and your car details are all sound and good! LOL! Classic I reckon! :D

Cheers! :)

I have actually seen some younger people buying records believe it or not. Maybe it's more in the inner trendy sort of hipster suburbs here in Melbourne but I have seen them walking home from the local record store and each person holding a newly purchased vinyl record. Believe me I couldn't actually believe it myself when I saw it!

LOL to the CD's in the plastic tub, but I guess the only good thing about the CD's even after so many years as long as they aren't badly scratched you can throw them in a CD player and they will sound just the same as the day you bought them! LOL! ;)

Yes I loved the good old CB radio, back in the days before mobile phones and the internet! I used to chat to some high school friends on the CB after school and on the weekends. Did you ever go to an "eyeball" lol? Yes that's when you get to meet some of your radio friends in person..lol
I do recall a couple of "eyeballs" where there was a big get together of around 20 or more people from the surrounding suburbs. Good old times.

That also reminds me of those good old days when you could receive almost anything transmitted on the airwaves on your radio scanner. I remember back then I could listen to people's in house cordless phones all the time. I could also listen in on many of the old analogue signal mobile phone calls back then also. One of the main things I used to tune into most of the time was the local police channel, this is a true story my mate had just dropped me off at home late one night and I went in the house and turned on my scanner. Well you wouldn't believe it my mate had got pulled over on the way home by a patrol car and they did a background check on my mate and also checked his vehicles details on the system. I heard all of it on the radio and I told my mate the next day when I spoke to him "So did the cops pull you up the other night on the way home by any chance"? LOL! He was like yeah how did you know? I said well let me just tell you that you have no criminal record on file and your car details are all sound and good! LOL! Classic I reckon! :D

As I've told you, you're one of my favourites. Just thought I should add that your posts are always interesting & infomative. just saying lol

As I've told you, you're one of my favourites. Just thought I should add that your posts are always interesting & infomative. just saying lol

LOL! Yes well I still sometimes chuckle at that time when you ventured into my little weird and wacky "Remodelled Lyrics" thread! LOL! Well actually you are the only member here that's replied to that thread! LOL! Cheers and thanks again for the great laughs around this place it's great! Oh and just in case you forgot where that thread was here is the link below...LOL! :D Cheers!

LOL! Yes well I still sometimes chuckle at that time when you ventured into my little weird and wacky "Remodelled Lyrics" thread! LOL! Well actually you are the only member here that's replied to that thread! LOL! Cheers and thanks again for the great laughs around this place it's great! Oh and just in case you forgot where that thread was here is the link below...LOL! :D Cheers!

Posted a reply, it needs more responses lol

Good to hear the younger generation are into vinyl records (as you pointed out).

No, never went to an 'eyeball' as I was too young at the time. The CB belonged to my friend's older brother.

That's a funny story about you hearing your mate being pulled over by the police. 😂

Back