Skip to main content

Was Ryan winning the ultimate proof this was a bad season?

Quite predictable winner.

I don't know why people "rallied" and "stanned" for him so hard? What did he actually do?? :unsure:

Skye & Travis gave us more content then he ever did!

Yeah his video was so empty and boring... I didn't feel a huge amount of appreciation watching it I have to be honest.

Very disappointing win, but fitting to this series ?

I'm pretty sure that his family did a FUCKLOAD of voting too.. His Dad had $$$ glints when he explained they'd spent all day voting..

Investing $10,000 to his voting from family is a good investment, Ryan will pay them off.

When the winner didn't feature in the week to week highlights of the series besides being there.

When their video package of the winners highlights consisted of them going into the house. Them laughing. Them shaving. Others saying comments about them, nothing really of note and some dancing.

When pretty much all the host of BB can say in the winning interview is, 'you wore a lot of hats' as well as ask him 'why people liked him.'

I think this final episode pretty much summed up my point that he didn't do much and added little to the season of Big Brother. He contributed nothing overall to the show besides being there.

People may like him, that's their business. I still disagree he was genuine. Evidenced by the fact he said he was playing nice after watching Skye nominate him. He admitted he was not being genuine. He then went to being a deliberate mean shithead. Then he went back to exactly how he was. Being fake, holding his tongue. Then the contradictory comments to his close circle of friends versus to BB and the rest of the house. Remember one of the final three upon seeing footage of him saying mean comments behind peoples backs made comment they were surprised he was like that. IE not genuine.

Anyway, boring winner. Although Sonia made reference to apply to be a housemate, so maybe he didn't cap off the final season before the show got cancelled. Although it's probably not certain yet.

He is boring as in he added basically zero to the over all viewing experience of BB in 2014.

As I stated, his highlight reel was pathetic. He wasn't in the week to week highlights. He didn't do anything.

This is Big Brother. A show where people are meant to go into a house and live together. He went and played the game show version of BB. He held back. He sat back and watched everyone else create the dramas and the storylines. He was not a Big Brother contestant. He was a pot plant in the house.

He won precisely because of this. Big personalities that did a lot in the house, that were involved in human stories and drama have a lot more for people to be decisive on. There is also way too much they did to really remember. Ryan was barely in the show for the first part of the season. Sonia even said this after he won. It was more a case that he was just there and the more everyone else did, the more they lived and took part in BB. The more there was for people to judge and be put off by them. Ryan sitting in the background doing nothing, started to become more appealing by default as he wasn't doing anything. I'm sure it helps people think he's cute or what ever.

The number one thing he'll be remembered for is 'The Naked Chicken.' That is all.

No one has still defended him stating something interesting and good that he did that isn't a fleeting moment that wasn't created by BB.

OH MY FUCKING GOD.

We get it you hate Ryan - you think he's boring, disingenuous, won by default, added nothing to the viewing experience or whatever. That's great. These are all just your opinions, opinions that I know are shared by the majority of members here - I'm not blind after all - but they weren't shared by the majority of the voting public nor are they proof that this was a bad season. If you want to know why continue reading because I'll go over some of your opinions and how they differ from mine and then I'll go over why both of our opinions on Ryan have absolutely nothing to do with whether this was a bad season or not.

So first up lets talk about whether he was genuine or not. I notice your argument against is grounded in the fact Skye was surprised by his comments in the secrets episode and somehow that translates into him not being genuine. Firstly that's one HM who I might add was still in there and still wanted to win not to mention Skye and Ryan were never BFF's. You claim this as some proof yet you ignore the endless parade of multiple HMs that said he was the most genuine and honest HM in there. When you're looking at evidence you can't just pick and choose that which points to your favoured conclusion - you have to look at all of it - which is that he was genuine. You believe he held back or played nice. But tell me how was he holding back or playing nice when he had his disagreements with Skye, Travis, Priya? I mean for fucks sake we saw him fight with Priya on MONDAY.

Oh and I'm sick to fucking death of everyone going on and fucking on about 'he wasn't even there for the first four weeks'. So fucking what? While I'll give you that this is true for most of us, I know it was for me, I still don't see how it matters. When I'm deciding who I want to vote for I'm not thinking of how I felt about them x number of weeks ago. I'm thinking about how I feel about them in that moment. That's what this show is - watching the HMs grow, change, evolve, etc. What's the point of watching past the launch if we all just decide our opinions of the HMs on the first night and never change them? Nearly everyone hated Tim in the first week or so, does that mean he shouldn't have won? Fuck no! Just like with Ryan. Sure he may have been missing in the first few weeks but when Nine finally decided to show him I liked what I saw. Why shouldn't I reward that with my votes?

As for this bloody highlights package nonsense. I have to ask did any HM appear in each and every weeks highlights? I doubt it. Then again I wasn't checking like you so I could be wrong. Anyway just because Ryan didn't appear in a minute long recap of 168 hours of raw footage doesn't mean he didn't do anything. If anything it points to what BB has become. You said it yourself BB is a show where people are meant to go into a house and live together. What you failed to mention is how Nine's interpretation of what this means has changed from what it meant in Ten's era. It used to be about watching the everyday happenings and relationships that stemmed from the interaction of 12/14/16 strangers. Now it's about *drama* and *storylines* or rather contrived gimmicks, drama, fights and fauxmances that nine can condense into glitzy 30 second promos to be advertised and then never referenced again. If I wanted endless clips of weave pulling, cat fights and hook ups I'd watch any one of the many other trashy reality shows out there. For real, how many times have people on this forum cried out for the days when we could sit down and watch normal everyday people interacting and having conversations and watch them for longer than 30 seconds before we got a recap from the diary room. What I saw and what I think many others saw in Ryan was a return to the type of HM of old. One which wasn't there for celebrity but was there for the experience. One which didn't try to game the system in order to get airtime. One who was simply themselves. We weren't enamoured by his looks either, if it were that simple Dion would have made it further than he did. We made a connection with Ryan. We related to him. He wasn't a contestant and in a season that had deviated so far from what made Big Brother Big Brother I revelled in it. I revelled in the fact we finally had a normal everyday person. And if you don't see that, don't want to see that or just don't think that's something to admire then fine. But I did. Others did.

I'm most likely never going to change your or anyone else's opinions on Ryan and quite frankly I don't want to. I just wanted to shine a light on the other side of the argument. Fact is seasons over. Ryan won. Was this proof that this season was bad? No. Why? Because a season's worth is not dictated by the winner, influenced maybe but not decided by. The seasons scheduling was atrocious. The desperate gimmicks were atrocious. Most of the time the editing was atrocious. That's all proof the season was bad. The ultimate proof of how bad a season it was will be whether it gets renewed.

So in conclusion Ryan's winning was not tied to the failure of the season. His winning was directly tied to the fact people voted for him. The fact that people saw something in him. The fact that they liked what they saw enough to spend their money. Facts you don't wont to acknowledge but facts which exist nonetheless.

Last edited:
OH MY FUCKING GOD.

We get it you hate Ryan - you think he's boring, disingenuous, won by default, added nothing to the viewing experience or whatever. That's great. These are all just your opinions, opinions that I know are shared by the majority of members here - I'm not blind after all - but they weren't shared by the majority of the voting public nor are they proof that this was a bad season. If you want to know why continue reading because I'll go over some of your opinions and how they differ from mine and then I'll go over why both of our opinions on Ryan have absolutely nothing to do with whether this was a bad season or not.

So first up lets talk about whether he was genuine or not. I notice your argument against is grounded in the fact Skye was surprised by his comments in the secrets episode and somehow that translates into him not being genuine. Firstly that's one HM who I might add was still in there and still wanted to win not to mention Skye and Ryan were never BFF's. You claim this as some proof yet you ignore the endless parade of multiple HMs that said he was the most genuine and honest HM in there. When you're looking at evidence you can't just pick and choose that which points to your favoured conclusion - you have to look at all of it - which is that he was genuine. You believe he held back or played nice. But tell me how was he holding back or playing nice when he had his disagreements with Skye, Travis, Priya? I mean for fucks sake we saw him fight with Priya on MONDAY.

Oh and I'm sick to fucking death of everyone going on and fucking on about 'he wasn't even there for the first four weeks'. So fucking what? While I'll give you that this is true for most of us, I know it was for me, I still don't see how it matters. When I'm deciding who I want to vote for I'm not thinking of how I felt about them x number of weeks ago. I'm thinking about how I feel about them in that moment. That's what this show is - watching the HMs grow, change, evolve, etc. What's the point of watching past the launch if we all just decide our opinions of the HMs on the first night and never change them? Nearly everyone hated Tim in the first week or so, does that mean he shouldn't have won? Fuck no! Just like with Ryan. Sure he may have been missing in the first few weeks but when Nine finally decided to show him I liked what I saw. Why shouldn't I reward that with my votes?

As for this bloody highlights package nonsense. I have to ask did any HM appear in each and every weeks highlights? I doubt it. Then again I wasn't checking like you so I could be wrong. Anyway just because Ryan didn't appear in a minute long recap of 168 hours of raw footage doesn't mean he didn't do anything. If anything it points to what BB has become. You said it yourself BB is a show where people are meant to go into a house and live together. What you failed to mention is how Nine's interpretation of what this means has changed from what it meant in Ten's era. It used to be about watching the everyday happenings and relationships that stemmed from the interaction of 12/14/16 strangers. Now it's about *drama* and *storylines* or rather contrived gimmicks, drama, fights and fauxmances that nine can condense into glitzy 30 second promos to be advertised and then never referenced again. If I wanted endless clips of weave pulling, cat fights and hook ups I'd watch any one of the many other trashy reality shows out there. For real, how many times have people on this forum cried out for the days when we could sit down and watch normal everyday people interacting and having conversations and watch them for longer than 30 seconds before we got a recap from the diary room. What I saw and what I think many others saw in Ryan was a return to the type of HM of old. One which wasn't there for celebrity but was there for the experience. One which didn't try to game the system in order to get airtime. One who was simply themselves. We weren't enamoured by his looks either, if it were that simple Dion would have made it further than he did. We made a connection with Ryan. We related to him. He wasn't a contestant and in a season that had deviated so far from what made Big Brother Big Brother I revelled in it. I revelled in the fact we finally had a normal everyday person. And if you don't see that, don't want to see that or just don't think that's something to admire then fine. But I did. Others did.

I'm most likely never going to change your or anyone else's opinions on Ryan and quite frankly I don't want to. I just wanted to shine a light on the other side of the argument. Fact is seasons over. Ryan won. Was this proof that this season was bad? No. Why? Because a season's worth is not dictated by the winner, influenced maybe but not decided by. The seasons scheduling was atrocious. The desperate gimmicks were atrocious. Most of the time the editing was atrocious. That's all proof the season was bad. The ultimate proof of how bad a season it was will be whether it gets renewed.

So in conclusion Ryan's winning was not tied to the failure of the season. His winning was directly tied to the fact people voted for him. The fact that people saw something in him. The fact that they liked what they saw enough to spend their money. Facts you don't wont to acknowledge but facts which exist nonetheless.

So in conclusion Ryan's winning was not tied to the failure of the season. His winning was directly tied to the fact people voted for him. The fact that people saw something in him. The fact that they liked what they saw enough to spend their money. Facts you don't wont to acknowledge but facts which exist nonetheless

I have to strongly disagree with this sentiment as him winning was very much the result of the atrocious family friendly editing that allowed him to fly under the radar for the first month.

It also then helped the obnoxious nasty side of his personality to remain hidden until the very end when it was already to late to EXPOSE HIM for the PIECE OF SHIT OF A HUMAN BEING that he truly is.

To claim otherwise is disingenuous and self serving as I'm confident that had the viewers seen more of his true unfiltered nature I think people that voted for him to prevent Skye and Trav (the 'bogans', attention seekers, etc) from winning would have seriously re-considered supporting such an arrogant smug tosser.

Not to mention that he had his wealthy relatives and friends deep pockets backing him and the fact that having a strong loyal clique early protected him from being up for nominations.

My problem is, he didn't participate in Big Brother the show the way those housemates did.
Well, I don't know what counts as 'participation' for you. But he did tell Skye off on the stairs AND he had one-liners that won our hearts (particularly in the hotel task).

Either way, he was an all-round nice guy, despite having flaws of being gossipy and such. He has a charm, he's witty and 'different' (dark-horse). You don't have to be an angel to win Big Brother, and also, you don't have to be eccentric and entertaining (Tim, Benjamin, Skye and Travis).

It also then helped the obnoxious nasty side of his personality to remain hidden until the very end when it was already to late to EXPOSE HIM for the PIECE OF SHIT OF A HUMAN BEING that he truly is.
Harsh.

What has he done that's so bad?

You can be very scurrilous when it comes to a housemate you dislike. :eek:

Last edited:
I have to strongly disagree with this sentiment as him winning was very much the result of the atrocious family friendly editing that allowed him to fly under the radar for the first month.

To claim otherwise is disingenuous and self serving as I'm confident that had the viewers seen more of his true unfiltered nature I think people that voted for him to prevent Skye and Trav (the 'bogans', attention seekers, etc) from winning would have seriously re-considered supporting such an arrogant smug tosser.

Not to mention that he had his wealthy relatives and friends deep pockets backing him and the fact that having a strong loyal clique early protected him from being up for nominations.

The only EXPOSURE is of your cuntish ways.

OH MY FUCKING GOD.

this made me love you

WOW - and you just came across as anything but? lol

na-nana-na-na Ryan won!

Reactions: Bae
OH MY FUCKING GOD.

Ryan winning is the worst thing to ever happen to Big Brother.

Yes it was because we never had a chance to see the HMs.

I didn't like the story line that C9 editor gave me. It was an horrible story line. Take a bit here, a bit there, add lots of idiotic gimmicks and put it together.

Most HMs last night, I didn't even remember them. I couldn't give you the name of HMs who were there in the first 2 months.

It took me 6 weeks to get into BB this year.

Last edited:
Genuine question; where does Ryan's 'nice guy' title come from? He was even referred to that by the media. Why?

This isn't meant to be an attack on him and he actually may be nice in person, but the edit he received throughout the series didn't really showcase that much 'niceness' from his end. He only had a few moments where he came across as easygoing and funny. Most of the time, he seemed to constantly be on a high horse and his attitude was predominately negative regarding others. Unless that constitutes as 'nice', then I don't understand why he has that title. If anything, I thought Travis would have been labelled the 'nice guy' of the season.

Again, this isn't an attack on Ryan and maybe he simply had a bad edit.
The majority of the footage just contradicts his image. I don't get it.

get

It is interesting actually. The majority of people didn't vote for Ryan to win. Another flaw in the way the season was run, resulting in his victory.

Back