Skip to main content

US 2016 Presidential Election

Looks like the democrats did ok. But I can see them losing the next election by going with an establishment candidate who is in the pocket of big business.

Yes I heard that expressed somewhere this week. The only time they’ve won the presidency since 1980 is when they’ve had candidates that generate some excitement, Clinton and Obama. All their safe and sensible candidates fail. Democrats won’t turn out in sufficient numbers just to beat a bad Republican, they need someone exciting on their side too.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Calling for an “immediate end” to the recount in Florida, Donald J. Trump warned on Monday that it could set a dangerous precedent of the person with the most votes winning.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump said that those in favor of the recount had a “sick obsession with finding out which candidate got the most votes.”

“Democrats are going on and on about counting every last vote until they find out who got the most,” Trump said. “Since when does getting the most votes mean you win?”

Trump said that, if the recounts are allowed to proceed, “We could be looking at a very bad, very sad situation where to be considered legitimately elected you have to get more votes than the other candidate.”

Having just returned from the Armistice commemoration in Paris, Trump said that Florida’s recount has made America “the laughingstock of the world,” adding, “Putin told me they never do recounts in Russia.”

I just saw an article that predicted that Trump could resign in the coming weeks. Will his ego allow it? Will one of his trusted few convince him it is better than impeachment or that he could make a deal to avoid jail time by resigning? Will pence be a better pres than Trump? 2019 could be a doozy of a year for American politics.

Could be? Will be, is more my guess. Resignation could be the better part of valour for him. Regardless, he's in a corner and the paint is wet.

Nixon resigned and Ford gave him a blanket pardon, generally regarded as being part of a deal. Though I’m not sure if Pence could do the same for Trump. Different crimes at different times.

Impeachment then indictment. Whether these happen or not, he's not out of the woods. A grassy knoll situation would nicely add to the mix. Save a lot of trouble.

Back