Skip to main content

US 2016 Presidential Election

“Saturday Night Live” opened last night’s show with a send-up of the third presidential debate, moderated by Chris Wallace (Tom Hanks), who begins by pointing out that like the third “Lord of the Rings” movie, nobody really wanted to watch but we all needed to see the saga through to the end.

Alec Baldwin reprised his grotesque Donald Trump impression, ramping up from his early “Baby Trump” slowness to a compulsive sniffing, word salad-rambling, full-on Mosul spiral by the middle of the debate.

“They are ripping babies out of vaginas,” he declared in the opening question about women’s health, after which Hillary Clinton (Kate McKinnon) stepped in to point out the differences between the candidates.

“Me, a woman who has had a child and has taken birth control, and he, a man who is a child and whose face is birth control,” she deadpanned.

Watch the full sketch, and be happy this is truly the final Trump-Clinton debate we have to sit through.

Ricky Gervais: Donald Trump's presidential campaign is 'a joke that got out of hand'

JOHN LYNCH
OCT 22, 2016, 11:05 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/r...a-joke-that-got-out-of-hand-2016-10?r=US&IR=T

Actor and comedian Ricky Gervais has spoken out against Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

Gervais talked to Business Insider about Trump while promoting his upcoming musical mockumentary, “David Brent: Life on the Road,” and its accompanying album and songbook.

The comedian says the humorously narcissitic tendencies of his David Brent character from the UK’s “The Office” now pale in comparison to the “insatiable” nature of celebrity and self-promotion in our current cultural moment.

“There’s no difference now between fame and infamy,” Gervais said. “Fame is insatiable. People demand fame forever, and they live like an open wound to stay famous. People now do bad things, and they’re rewarded for it.”

He then discussed how Donald Trump’s “ruthless ambition” and rhetoric feel like a dangerously exaggerated version of his Brent character’s brash demeanour and politically incorrect humour.

You’ve got a potential president who says things like, ‘I’d like to punch him in the face,'” Gervais said. “And he gets a round of applause. There’s a new breed of ruthless ambition.”

Gervais doesn’t take Trump’s political aspirations very seriously.

“And Trump, you can’t win without democracy,” he continued. “If he gets in, good luck to him. That’s what the people wanted. But he’s got more in common with David Brent than he has with JFK. He’s an entertainer… I doubt he thought about becoming president a year ago, and it’s like a joke that got out of hand.”

Gervais joked that the Republican nominee’s candidacy feels like a “bet from a 1980s movie,” and he alluded to the plot of Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd’s 1983 comedy “Trading Places.”

“It’s like the movie would start with two old billionaires going, ‘I bet I can choose the worst person and make him president within a year,'” he said. “And then someone goes, ‘You’re on!’ and that’s how the film starts.”

Gervais’ new movie “David Brent: Life on the Road” will premiere on Netflix on February 10, 2017. The film’s accompanying album is available now, and his “David Brent Songbook” comes out November 8.

If Hillary wasn't a Clinton I think I would like her more. I mean compared to Trump she is a god damn angel.
I think she is a snake oil saleswoman. What a shame that this person will be the first woman president. Thank god for reality tv...real life is too depressing.

I think it's hard to compare the two. They are both bad choices for different reasons.

I personally think Hillary's darker side is worse than Trumps, because she knows what she is doing and is calculated working the system. She kind of represents all that is bad of the US, besides being socially liberal on some issues. Trump is just an idiotic showman who has no idea what he is doing. He's like a kid, "When I'm class president we'll have recess all day!" He won't have the power to do much with out support from congress and the senate.

There are systems of checks and balances. Obama just had a veto over ruled for instance. The US is a robust democracy and if they had a president with dementia in the 80s, I think they'll survive Trump.

The one positive a Trump win would have is that there is some kind of chance of being good and shaking up the system, but most likely he'll get in there and be able to do nothing and the system continues on pretty much as it is. The machine of US government and Policy which Hillary represents will just go on. Then he'll be booted out.

Downside is, he is an unknown quantity and we don't know how bad that could be.

I personally don't have a preference because I don't need to have one as I am not American.

Based on nothing Trump maybe has a small chance of actually being what America needs. Even if it's just to shake off the idiotic lunacy of the far right. That's a small chance. Hillary, we know she'll be bad but we don't know if that'd be worse than Trump. It's all a big, "what if."

FYI, if I lived in the USA I would support Hillary over Trump. Globally, I think Trump may be better as he doesn't seem to want wars with China and Russia. He isn't also into the Kissinger type interference, toppling governments and nation building like Hillary. However once again, there's an unknown quantity to how Trump would be. So he could be worse.
I agree with everything you said except the vote part. If I vote, I will throw a vote his way.

There is absolutely no good side of a Trump win. He's good at convincing gullible people. He's all show and no substance on anything.
The only good thing about this is the entire Republican Party is imploding.

People are so worried about the way Trump might rile up his supporters that my friends want me to postpone a visit to my family in Ohio- what used to be a swing state that went for Obama before-- from my safe small college town in New York. They want me to wait to travel, even though where my family lives is perfectly safe.

I think she is a snake oil saleswoman. What a shame that this person will be the first woman president. Thank god for reality tv...real life is too depressing.

Hillary does seem the sort of person to change positions to suit ambition. No wonder she is a politician!

People are so worried about the way Trump might rile up his supporters that my friends want me to postpone a visit to my family in Ohio- what used to be a swing state that went for Obama before-- from my safe small college town in New York. They want me to wait to travel, even though where my family lives is perfectly safe.

Isn't everyone worried just about all that hate anyway? And where will it go? Will all the dimwits running around being loony with Trump riot if he loses?

Hillary does seem the sort of person to change positions to suit ambition. No wonder she is a politician!
I have to say that Hillary did a good job as a Senator from New York. She had strong opposition because she isn't from New York but moved here to become Senator because our laws allow it.
However, she did a grueling tour all around the state to learn about the issues people have who don't live in NYC.(New York is really very rural in most parts and has one of the largest state parks in the US in the Adirondack mountains. People not from here often think that New York is solely NYC) She was incredibly smart and won over many many people who had strongly opposed her before she met them.

Reactions: kxk
But what did she accomplish? Please don't say the 9/11 funding because lucifer himself could have secured the funds after 9/11. Other than that what has she done? I can't think of a single thing.

But what did she accomplish? Please don't say the 9/11 funding because lucifer himself could have secured the funds after 9/11. Other than that what has she done? I can't think of a single thing.
her website says this...

She helped secure $20 billion to rebuild New York and fought to provide health care for responders who got sick from working at Ground Zero.

In the Senate, Hillary worked across the aisle to expand TRICARE so that members of the Reserves and National Guard and their families could get better access to health care.

When Congress wouldn't do enough for rural areas and small towns, Hillary didn’t back down. She launched an innovative partnership in New York with eBay and local colleges to provide small businesses with tech support, microloans, and training programs to sell their goods online.

She fought to expand broadband to remote areas of the state. And she launched Farm-to-Fork to help New York farmers and producers sell their products to New York’s restaurants, schools, colleges, and universities.

Reactions: kxk

Preventing Donald Trump from becoming President by running a solid, sane, and realistic campaign wiill be her greatest achievement.

Back