Skip to main content

..Unique jobs / hobbies / sports / videos etc...

...an amazing headline that I thought I'd never read in my lifetime at least... (although... it's not exactly what I thought that it would be)...

Teleportation Breakthrough: Team Of Dutch Physicists May Have Just Proven Einstein Wrong...

teleportation-617x416.jpg

...from this website... cheers.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...ion-of-data-delft-060214/#thqrKmkDPYF2VPDi.99

Alan McStravick for redOrbit.com – Your Universe Online

The world of Gene Roddenberry has given us so many things that seemed an impossibility when we first saw them on the fantastical science-fiction television show Star Trek. All you need do is visit your local grocery store for the sliding doors triggered by an electronic eye, or reach into your own pocket for a personal communications device. The one thing that seemed too impossible, however, was the transporter, a teleportation machine that could break down a structure at the atomic level, via dematerialization, and send that coded energy practically anywhere.

A team of Dutch physicists, led by Professor Ronald Hanson of Delft University, is proud to announce that the future is here. Of course, they aren’t able to teleport something as complex as a human quite yet. They started small just to prove it could be done. Their repeated experimentation involving quantum bits (or qubits) of information was able to be replicated with a 100 percent rate of success.

So, how does the Delft team’s success prove Einstein wrong? The teleportation of the qubits would have been impossible but for their reliance on entanglement. “Entanglement is arguably the strangest and most intriguing consequence of the laws of quantum mechanics,” stated Hanson. “When two particles become entangled, their identities merge: their collective state is precisely determined but the individual identity of each of the particles has disappeared.” He continues, “The entangled particles behave as one, even when separated by a large distance. The distance in our tests was three meters (or just under 10 feet) but in theory the particles could be on either side of the universe.”

Einstein, widely regarded as one of the most brilliant minds in quantum physics, balked at the notion of entanglement, calling it “spooky action at a distance.” He just didn’t believe that you could have two atoms, separated by whatever hypothetical distance, where any change or action in one was immediately mirrored by the other. Decades after his death and numerous experiments later, we now know that the concept of entanglement does, in fact, exist.

The implications of this study, (and another to be conducted where the information will be teleported several hundreds of feet around the Delft University campus), is important for the future generations of data transport and communication. As this team racks up more successes, we will be ever closer to the invention and development of a quantum network that will allow ultra-fast quantum computers to communicate. Think of it as a quantum internet.

Quantum computers will be able to work on problems that today’s supercomputer couldn’t even address. Add to the list of pluses of a quantum internet the fact that the days of hacking will be a thing of the past. This is because the quantum internet will enable completely secure information transfer.

For any naysayers out there that believe the teleportation of qubits is not in any way, shape or form related to the complexity of the eventual teleportation of larger objects and even humans, Hanson, in an interview with The Telegraph stated, “If you believe we are nothing more than a collection of atoms strung together in a particular way, then in principle it should be possible to teleport ourselves from one place to the other.” He concluded, “In practice, it’s extremely unlikely, but to say it can never work is very dangerous. I would not rule it out because there is no fundamental law of physics preventing it.”

Results of the Delft team’s research was published May 29 in the journal Science.

Source: Alan McStravick for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online

...phones and bracelets... why not turn a bracelet into a phone I hear?... well it looks like they have... check this out...

2014-07-04_18-44-09.jpg

2014-07-04_18-42-38.jpg

...from these websites...

http://www.emopulse.com/application.html

http://www.gizmag.com/emopulse-smile-smartwatch/27984/

...they're saying that they would be priced at around the $300-$380 (US dollars) through to the $550 mark... that's pretty high methinks... some statistics about it...

2014-07-04_19-22-12.jpg

...it would be a tad bit too chunky for me but I guess a lot of people would want them just because they may be the new 'in thing' in the near future... perhaps not?... would you but one?... cheers.

...I think that I would much more prefer this...it is called the 'Smarty Ring'...

green.jpg
smarty-ring-smartphone-10527.jpg

...from this website...

http://smartyring.com/

...here are the features of the ring...

2014-07-04_19-44-59.jpg

..the price will range from $175 USD (without a scrolling display) to $275 USD for the smarty ring with the scrolling display of numbers...

...it works in conjunction with your phone from what I can make out about it... on this website it describes its features better than I can...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smarty-ring--4

...this seems to be more practical than the bracelet in the previous post to me... it's not as versatile but a lot less chunky at least... being able to see what texts or messages are while your phone is in your pocket seems like a smecky little gadget to me... I guess if you decide to take a call because of what the ring tells you then you simply take the phone out of your bag or pocket to answer it... what a clever little gizmo!... cheers.

...I'm with you there... round is definitely better... I think that's why I like the idea of that ring... I have never owned a square watch in my life... round is cool... :thumbsup:... cheers.

...something in a totally different direction of what I usually put on this thread but it was too beautiful not to put then somewhere within these forums... this was sent to me by my uncle because he was so impressed with them himself... here it is... because there are so many images I'll post them in two separate parts...

OLD WEST PHOTOS

Neat old photos. Enjoy. The picture labelled "Stamp Mill" is a stamp mill where large cast iron "Mortar and Pestles" crushed gold ore So that the smaller pieces would be more amenable to gravity recovery.Considering the time period, excellent pictures

Placer Mining for Gold
image0011.jpg

Village of the Lakota Sioux Indians
image0022.jpg

The Cowboy
image0033.jpg

A deer hunt near Deadwood in winter 1887 and '88
image0055.jpg

Deadwood Central Railroad Surveyors
deeadwood surveyers.jpg

Miners Panning for Gold in the Dakota Territory
image0066.jpg

Western Stagecoach
WESTERN STAGECOACH.jpg

Cheyenne Indians
image0088.jpg

...continued in the next post... cheers.

Last edited:
"Hotel Minnekahta," Hot Springs , Dakota Territory
image0099.jpg

Stagecoaches of the Old West
image01010.jpg

Lakota Sioux Indian Camp
image01111.jpg

Stamp Mill Interior at Terraville, Dakota Territory
image01212.jpg

Chinese Hose Team
image01313.jpg

Captain Talor and 70 Indian Scouts
image01414.jpg

"Comanche," a stallion. The only survivor of the Custer Massacre, 1876image01515.jpg

...more to come in the final post... cheers.

...make that 3 separate parts lol!...

Indian Fighters from the US Army Infantry
image01616.jpg

Last trip of the famous Deadwood Stage
image01717.jpg

Considering the age of these glass photo plates, the images are quite vivid!

...well there you have it... I am amazed at the high quality of the photos... I hope that you have enjoyed them as much as I have... those were rough times back then methink!...

...I think that my favourite one is the 'Village of the Lakota Sioux Indians'... it looks so beautiful there... although I think it would also be a dangerous place to be too lol!... it looks like what you typically see in the movies but not a 'Hollywood version' of it... the real thing... cheers.

Last edited:
...I just thought that I would revive this thread with this fancy bit of furniture... it blew me away... I love the computer desk that I have but this is some amazing furniture... you'd have to be on the Internet a fair bit to justify buying one methinks...

2015-03-25_11-16-28.jpg

...here is a link to more photos of it and a brief rundown on it's capabilities...

http://www.supercompressor.com/home/large-50-000-immersive-workstation-the-emperor-200-desk

...is that something or what?... imagine the price of it.... cheers.

...I just thought that I would revive this thread with this fancy bit of furniture... it blew me away... I love the computer desk that I have but this is some amazing furniture... you'd have to be on the Internet a fair bit to justify buying one methinks...

View attachment 48553

...here is a link to more photos of it and a brief rundown on it's capabilities...

http://www.supercompressor.com/home/large-50-000-immersive-workstation-the-emperor-200-desk

...is that something or what?... imagine the price of it.... cheers.

That looks perfect for me. Everyone on the forum should pitch in and buy me one for my birthday. Y'all have until October.

...speaking of reviving this thread...the original post that I opened it with was kind of stuffed up when that hacker brought this website down over Christmas... so I thought that I'd re-post it again because it is just so amazing... well I think so anyway... here is the video... cheers.

That looks perfect for me. Everyone on the forum should pitch in and buy me one for my birthday. Y'all have until October.

...hahaha!... now that would be great wouldn't it... as I said iJake... imagine the price of it... I tried tracking down the price but you have to send an email to them to get it... so it must cost a lot eh?... cheers.

...another great idea for relaxation... a solar rocking chair with 3 USB portals to recharge your gadgets while you are resting...some people are so damn inventive aren't they?... from this website below... cheers

http://www.gizmag.com/soft-rocker-chair-uses-solar-to-charge-gadgets/18748/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOFT Rocker uses solar to top up your gadgets while you relax
By Paul Ridden

softrocker.jpg

softrocker-9.jpg
Developed for MIT's Festival of Art Science Technology, the SOFT Rockers use enhanced fabrication techniques to curve flat wooden panels, and have solar panels installed to charge the gadgets of those who relax within (All images courtesy of Phil Seaton)

There's nothing quite like an old rocking chair for finding your center and chilling out. Originally thought to have been developed as garden furniture, the rocker has now come full circle with the development of the SOFT Rocker by Professor Sheila Kennedy and architecture students from MIT. Installed at the Institute's Killian Court for the Festival of Art+Science+Technology (FAST), the teardrop-shaped outdoor rocking lounge chairs have solar panels over the top to provide power for up to three USB devices, and some after-dark lighting to allow the party to go on after the sun goes down.

The SOFT Rockers are made from flat MDF panels which have undergone an advanced digital curving process based on the zipshape process that was originally developed in Switzerland by Christoph Schindler. A lightweight Kuka robotic arm was used to remove portions of the structurally unsound wood to form an inside surface resembling a row of teeth.

"Zipshape can, in theory, be cut from any flat-packed material, but there are reasons to cut it out of MDF and then post-veneer the surfaces, as we did", the team's Phil Seaton told Gizmag. "Basically, the 'teeth' that we cut work best when they're cut out of some grain-free and laminate-free material: cutting out of solid or plywood can cause the teeth to chip out during the cutting process. On the other hand, cutting out of MDF alone (and not veneering afterwards) risks the material not being able to handle the tension loads, and breaking in the backing (which is generally only about 2mm thick or so). We experienced many such breakages; the veneer, in our case, serves both a structural and an aesthetic purpose."

Two such panels were then interlocked and glued together to form a curved structure, and then vacuum-sealed in plastic bags. When the glue had dried, they were removed from the bags, veneer applied to both sides and then placed back in the bags. Seaton said that the team "did try veneering first, in the flat, but found the panels lost some flexibility when done in this order."

While the robot arm probably could have taken care of the intricate pattern work too, this was done using a laser cutter or 3-axis CNC router. The wooden structure was then varnished to afford it some protection from the elements, although longer term installations will probably require something a bit more robust.

Gen II flexible solar panels from Global Solar were installed over the surface of the roof to feed a 12 amp-hour battery, which in turn provides power to devices such as laptops, smartphones and even chilled drinks dispensers connected via USB.

The 35W solar tracking system is "entirely human-powered - the idea has its roots in trying to invent a kind of culture surrounding power generation," says Seaton. "Rather than envisioning electricity generation as something centralized and off-site that embodies hidden processes and hidden social and environmental costs, we're imagining a future where 'soft' and decentralized generation of small amounts of power can actually become a hub for social and cultural activity."

softrocker-14.jpg
"The SOFT Rockers, then, are intended to employ as much human intervention in the generation of electricity as possible: the rockers are free to rotate on their bases, and are positioned horizontally using the handle on the front. When the angle is correct, the rockers provide full shade for the person sitting inside. Then, once inside, the position of one's body to higher and lower seating positions causes the solar panel to face higher or lower positions in the sky. Here, the human power of balance is used as the 'second axis' of the solar tracker. An LCD panel inside the rocker tells you how well you're doing in terms of optimizing energy production from the available solar energy."

...from this website below... a material designed by NASA that heals itself when penetrated by a bullet... WTF?... simply amazing... I shake my head in total disbelief... people have such inventive minds don't they?... the video below shows the actual process in action... cheers.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/i...shot-by-a-bullet/story-fnpjxnlk-1227506001680

_________________________________________________________________________________________
NASA self-healing material can repair itself two seconds after being shot by a bullet
  • August 31, 2015 3:09PM
002952-ace8db38-4f84-11e5-bb8e-56aa84f91c7e.jpg

OK, they haven’t created the Terminator yet, but we all know that’s where things are headed. Source: Supplied

NASA’s coolest discovery yet might not be in outer space, but right here on Earth.

The space agency has found a new material with the ability to self heal from a bullet wound in just two seconds.

While they might not be able to recreate the Terminator just yet, the discovery could have applications for everything from repairing spaceships to creating ‘self-healing’ military equipment.

When one or both of the polymer layers were punctured, oxygen entered and mixed with an ingredient found inside the gel called tributylborane.

This created a reaction which caused the liquid centre to solidify and heal the wound.

“Within seconds of coming into contact with the atmosphere, it goes from a liquid to a solid,” researchers told IFLScience.

While more work is needed to further test its applications, the material is already being boasted as a possible solution to fix holes on damaged spacecrafts.

In addition to saving astronauts from the possibility of deadly situations, the material could also be used by the military for aircrafts or tankers.

The research has been published in the journal ACS Macro Letters.

________________________________________________________________________________________

...Science and technology never fails to amaze me... they have invented a robotic hunter of the 'Crown of Thorns Starfish' that is destroying our coral reef in terrible numbers... it seeks them out and then injects a lethal substance into them killing them virtually straight away... simply incredible... here is the article on this link below...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...sh-on-great-barrier-reef-20150903-gjetq1.html

...just watching the robot in action is mind blowing to me... cheers.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Robot to destroy starfish on Great Barrier Reef
Date September 4, 2015

An autonomous robot that can administer a lethal injection is set to be the latest weapon in the fight against the invasive crown-of-thorns starfish on the Great Barrier Reef.

The starfish preys on coral and is responsible for destroying up to 40 per cent of the reef.

Researchers from QUT are close to finishing trials on a robot which will be primed to find and kill the starfish.

1441338159950.jpg

The crown-of-thorns starfish preys on coral and is responsible for destroying up to 40 per cent of the Great Barrier Reef. Photo: AIMS

The mechanical hitman, known as COTSbot, uses GPS and a series of thrusters to cruise within one metre of the seafloor.
Once it spots a crown-of-thorns starfish it uses an extended arm to administer a fatal dose of bile salts.

COTSbot designer Dr Matthew Dunbabin says the robot has been taught to identify the prickly pest using a sophisticated recognition system.

1441337419530.jpg

COTSbot, the starfish killer. Photo: QUT

"We gave it lots of examples, we trawled YouTube for videos and provided it with thousands of images," he said.

"We're 99.99 per cent confident in its accuracy. And if it has any doubt, it takes a photo and sends it back to us for confirmation."

Now, water quality management and human divers administering the injection are used to try to keep a lid on crown-of-thorns numbers.

It is hoped the robot will be sent out on the reef for up to eight hours at a time, delivering more than 200 lethal shots.

"It will never out-compete a human diver in terms of sheer numbers of injections but it will be more persistent," said Dr Dunbabin, a QUT research fellow. "It can go out for long periods of time and in all weather conditions." After six months of intensive training, COTSbot passed its first sea trial with flying colours in Moreton Bay this week.

The next challenge is to see how it navigates strong water currents and more complex terrain in open ocean.

Researchers are hoping to have the robot fully operational on the reef early next year.

AAP

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
___________________________________________________________________________________________

That starfish video just reminded me of something. I was rewatching Survivor Cagayan last night, and there's this inconsequential little bit where LJ and Tony take the boat out fishing. Tony is in the boat, when LJ pops up, and says in an interested voice, kind of like how I've felt watching all the vids in this thread, "I've got a blue starfish.' It was so sweet and innocent. (Tony remained unimpressed.)

Anyway, thanks for this thread. It has filled my insomnia. But my tummy is still a little squirty from that tower-climb one.

That starfish video just reminded me of something. I was rewatching Survivor Cagayan last night, and there's this inconsequential little bit where LJ and Tony take the boat out fishing. Tony is in the boat, when LJ pops up, and says in an interested voice, kind of like how I've felt watching all the vids in this thread, "I've got a blue starfish.' It was so sweet and innocent. (Tony remained unimpressed.)

Anyway, thanks for this thread. It has filled my insomnia. But my tummy is still a little squirty from that tower-climb one.

...no worries Winterbourne... it's just a shame that I can't go back and re-edit those first three pages again so that the video links work again because when this site crashed a while back from that hacker and then the website returned it really left this thread messed up... but hey!... what do you do?... (I wonder if Tim would allow me to have that ability to go back and re-edit it?... ;):) **hint hint**)... haha!... you're right about that tower climb... that was just awesome!... anyhow... I'm glad that you liked it... cheers.

...Science and technology never fails to amaze me... they have invented a robotic hunter of the 'Crown of Thorns Starfish' that is destroying our coral reef in terrible numbers... it seeks them out and then injects a lethal substance into them killing them virtually straight away... simply incredible... here is the article on this link below...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...sh-on-great-barrier-reef-20150903-gjetq1.html

...just watching the robot in action is mind blowing to me... cheers.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Robot to destroy starfish on Great Barrier Reef
Date September 4, 2015

An autonomous robot that can administer a lethal injection is set to be the latest weapon in the fight against the invasive crown-of-thorns starfish on the Great Barrier Reef.

The starfish preys on coral and is responsible for destroying up to 40 per cent of the reef.

Researchers from QUT are close to finishing trials on a robot which will be primed to find and kill the starfish.

1441338159950.jpg

The crown-of-thorns starfish preys on coral and is responsible for destroying up to 40 per cent of the Great Barrier Reef. Photo: AIMS

The mechanical hitman, known as COTSbot, uses GPS and a series of thrusters to cruise within one metre of the seafloor.
Once it spots a crown-of-thorns starfish it uses an extended arm to administer a fatal dose of bile salts.

COTSbot designer Dr Matthew Dunbabin says the robot has been taught to identify the prickly pest using a sophisticated recognition system.

1441337419530.jpg

COTSbot, the starfish killer. Photo: QUT

"We gave it lots of examples, we trawled YouTube for videos and provided it with thousands of images," he said.

"We're 99.99 per cent confident in its accuracy. And if it has any doubt, it takes a photo and sends it back to us for confirmation."

Now, water quality management and human divers administering the injection are used to try to keep a lid on crown-of-thorns numbers.

It is hoped the robot will be sent out on the reef for up to eight hours at a time, delivering more than 200 lethal shots.

"It will never out-compete a human diver in terms of sheer numbers of injections but it will be more persistent," said Dr Dunbabin, a QUT research fellow. "It can go out for long periods of time and in all weather conditions." After six months of intensive training, COTSbot passed its first sea trial with flying colours in Moreton Bay this week.

The next challenge is to see how it navigates strong water currents and more complex terrain in open ocean.

Researchers are hoping to have the robot fully operational on the reef early next year.

AAP

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Great post, Mr. Sticky! Between those spiney, little shites that normally live further north and extreme weather events (plus threat of rising sea temperatures and ocean acidity) this natural treasure needs serious care & attention. GBR is essentially 8,000 years old, and more than a reef... it's an entire marine ecosystem (1500 fish species, 125 sharks, 5,000 mollusk etc) .)...and offically in "poor condition and expected to deteriorate" . Worsened since 2009.
Australia has been given a kick up the you know what by the World Heritage Committee and put on notice basically for not taking better care of it....OK, that's my rant. Sorry for the wrong thread!

I read up on it for anyone who's interested:

Corals are in the same group of animals as sea anemones and jelly fish. They are predators that catch food with their tentacles (e.g. plankton, tiny shrimp) Their colour comes from Zooxanthellae - photosynthetic organisms that are separate but live mutually live inside coral's cells and produce oxygen & nutrients from light. They give corals their colour. Bleaching happens when corals expel their zooxanthellae (e.g. water temperature increases exceeding their tolerance). They can recover eventually if the bleaching isn't too severe. The ocean is also carbon sink. It soaks up CO2 which turns the oceans more acid, which basically reduces the availability of carbonate needed to create shells and skeletons, making it more difficult (energy demanding) and weakening structures. Corals are getting stressed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post, Mr. Sticky! Between those spiney, little shites that normally live further north and extreme weather events (plus threat of rising sea temperatures and ocean acidity) this natural treasure needs serious care & attention. GBR is essentially 8,000 years old, and more than a reef... it's an entire marine ecosystem (1500 fish species, 125 sharks, 5,000 mollusk etc) .)...and offically in "poor condition and expected to deteriorate" . Worsened since 2009.
Australia has been given a kick up the you know what by the World Heritage Committee and put on notice basically for not taking better care of it....OK, that's my rant. Sorry for the wrong thread!

I read up on it for anyone who's interested:

Corals are in the same group of animals as sea anemones and jelly fish. They are predators that catch food with their tentacles (e.g. plankton, tiny shrimp) Their colour comes from Zooxanthellae - photosynthetic organisms that are separate but live mutually live inside coral's cells and produce oxygen & nutrients from light. They give corals their colour. Bleaching happens when corals expel their zooxanthellae (e.g. water temperature increases exceeding their tolerance). They can recover eventually if the bleaching isn't too severe. The ocean is also carbon sink. It soaks up CO2 which turns the oceans more acid, which basically reduces the availability of carbonate needed to create shells and skeletons, making it more difficult (energy demanding) and weakening structures. Corals are getting stressed!

...thanks for that Bluefin... wow that is so interesting my friend!... I never knew any of that at all... thanks for posting it... cheers.

Back