Skip to main content

Under the Dome

SeanE

I loathe sport on TV...
Ok, so this was pretty good tonight, but here's a few thoughts.

Don't like the psycho boyfriend at all... He's just too unbalanced for no one to notice yet or before now.

If they're under a dome - where's the wind coming from? There's not enough space under the dome to generate a wind pressure differential

Everyone seems to have an emergency generator - conveniently. Good thing they stockpiled propane?!

Why not try digging a tunnel under the dome? I presume they'll cover this in a future episode because its pretty obvious. The dome will have to be a bubble to truly keep everyone inside.

Poor cow...!

Food supply is going to be a problem pretty quickly. Especially with the amount US-ians eat :+p

Same goes for water supply and sewage....

I initially thought about the oxygen/air supply but there's heaps of trees in there so it'd be kind of like a terrarium and be largely self sustaining.

Insolation going to be an issue though. The dome will cause humidity to rise as well as temperature during the day which will only keep building over time. It's going to be hot and sticky rather quickly.

Yeah I didn't like the Psycho boyfriend character at all, I haven't read the book but it just doesn't seem to fit in. Or was it that he went from being a normal school kid to Psycho abductor in seconds.

The cow was gross.

Re digging, maybe the dome goes underground too lol.

I used to read Steven King books when I was younger but as I got older the unbelievable story lines put me off. I am not usually into this kind of show and yes I had all the same questions as SeanE but for some reason I am quite liking the show.

Another issue...

Pollution.

They're all driving around, setting fire to things, using generators etc all of which make pollution. That's going to build up rather fast and start choking them.

I enjoyed it, too, despite the flaws. Stephen King plots can be ridiculous, but usually he does characters pretty well. Psycho Junior is just too unbelievable - pretty, but unbelievable.

These EVENT tv things from the US - they all seem to suck and die in one season, makes me not want to even look at them.

Some seem to have good ideas that go nowhere, or bad actors, or bad execution - I don't know they seem to be too quick to film without plotting properly.

All I thought looking at the adds - dig you fools, looks stupid.

I meant to watch it though, was it stupid?

I'm the same kick, I get so sick of hearing about them, I thought it had possibilities until I heard it was based on a Stephan King book. That really put me off, I'm not a fan at all so I didn't watch it. Besides, I watched The Simpsons Movie with the kids a couple of days ago and they were in a dome too, so it's kind of the same thing ;)

Yeah I have never been into King, never read him at all - but do love Stand By Me, The Shining; and Carrie is OK.

Didn't the poms or somewhere in Europe actually do a real biodome thingy?

Last edited:
That looks nice and fun.

The thing I was thinking of was a disaster, got it - Biosphere2

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/booming/biosphere-2-good-science-or-bad-sense.html

Retro Report revisits an experiment in the Arizona desert in 1991 that sought to test the limits of sustainability. Deemed a fiasco ...

In the fall of 1991, eight men and women marched into a glass and steel complex that covered three acres in the Arizona desert and was known as Biosphere 2. Their mission: to test whether they could be self-sustaining in this sealed-off environment, with hope that the model would someday be replicated to colonize outer space.

I read the book. Was quite good but did drag on a bit at the end. All your questions will be answered :) Still not sure how they will drag it into 13 episodes as the book is set over 3 - 4 days. Maybe a episode to focus on 1 or 2 characters. I did hear the ending has been changed from what was in the book.
The best Stephen King book is still IT.

I read the book. Was quite good but did drag on a bit at the end. All your questions will be answered :) Still not sure how they will drag it into 13 episodes as the book is set over 3 - 4 days. Maybe a episode to focus on 1 or 2 characters. I did hear the ending has been changed from what was in the book.
The best Stephen King book is still IT.

A rare dispute, ausbjfan! I reckon it's The Shining. :D

Another issue...

Pollution.

They're all driving around, setting fire to things, using generators etc all of which make pollution. That's going to build up rather fast and start choking them.

(I see what ya did but hey, I don't mind playing :D)

Oh Dear, you're one of THOSE. lol.

Carbon Dioxide ain't pollution. Haven't you heard of the "carbon cycle" ... or is Real Science not something the young minds are exposed to @ the govvy school where you teach ?

(in short, one troll attempt deserves another in return :))

What I found disappointing is the nature of the bubble/sphere ... it apparently can block sound and radio etc but doesn't block the visible light spectrum nor radiative energy from the sun etc. Presumably that means one could light a campfire next to it and folk on the other side of the barrier would be warmed by it.

Anyhoo, I reckon King has read the likes of "Perry Rhodan" and similarly enjoys the old kids movie "Explorers" ... like, the "dome" (which surely is actually a bubble ?) is a big version of the bubble used in the movie "explorers" to transport the kids to the alien kid's spaceship.

bubble.jpg

Anyhoo, what also was disappointing was ye olde dated and sexist 'oh noes, poor little helpless shrieking blonde girl being made a victim of and prisoner of An Evil Male control-freak type" thang.

Doesn't Mr King realise that these days audiences seem to prefer tough/real females who can hold their own and who won't be cowed by males who presume to know what is best for them ?

OTOH, perhaps Mr King was merely doing a bit of projecting and/or confessional writing ?

regarDS

Is the book as good as the movie? That movie is awesome, I don't scare easy, and that was terrifying - with style, who directed that one, must check.

Edit - ha Stanley Kubrick, no wonder it's such a ripping movie.

I couldn't believe he wrote Stand By Me, such a sweet movie when River Phoenix was a kid, and the pudgy kid who grew up hot, Gerry somebody.

And Derspatz - he wrote Carrie, Carrie áint no simpering blonde, she's a vengeful powerful witch, have you never seen it?

:) Yes, that was great. Did you ever see the episode of friends where the book scared Joey so much he used to put it in the freezer?
Pet Semetary was pretty scary too.

Is the book as good as the movie? That movie is awesome, I don't scare easy, and that was terrifying - with style, who directed that one, must check.

Edit - ha Stanley Kubrick, no wonder it's such a ripping movie.

I couldn't believe he wrote Stand By Me, such a sweet movie when River Phoenix was a kid, and the pudgy kid who grew up hot, Gerry somebody.

And Derspatz - he wrote Carrie, Carrie áint no simpering blonde, she's a vengeful powerful witch, have you never seen it?

Yes early Stephen King books made good movies.
Carrie was on a couple of weeks ago. Still scary.. don't piss off teenage girls

Carbon Dioxide ain't pollution. Haven't you heard of the "carbon cycle" ... or is Real Science not something the young minds are exposed to @ the govvy school where you teach ?

What I found disappointing is the nature of the bubble/sphere ... it apparently can block sound and radio etc but doesn't block the visible light spectrum nor radiative energy from the sun etc. Presumably that means one could light a campfire next to it and folk on the other side of the barrier would be warmed by it.

Anyhoo, I reckon King has read the likes of "Perry Rhodan" and similarly enjoys the old kids movie "Explorers" ... like, the "dome" (which surely is actually a bubble ?) is a big version of the bubble used in the movie "explorers" to transport the kids to the alien kid's spaceship.

View attachment 31803

Anyhoo, what also was disappointing was ye olde dated and sexist 'oh noes, poor little helpless shrieking blonde girl being made a victim of and prisoner of An Evil Male control-freak type" thang.

Doesn't Mr King realise that these days audiences seem to prefer tough/real females who can hold their own and who won't be cowed by males who presume to know what is best for them ?

OTOH, perhaps Mr King was merely doing a bit of projecting and/or confessional writing ?

regarDS

What a strange way to look at what happened to the blonde girl, she was attacked from behind by someone holding a weapon but still had a go at fighting back, stuck him and made it as far as the door. The girl only became helpless once she had been stuck back, rendered unconscious and locked in a underground shelter. You make it sound like she was weak, she was far from it.

And as KxK mentioned Carrie was also anything but helpless.

As for the show, it's a bit of fun fiction, no point in over thinking it. :D

But carbon monoxides, methane (farting cows for example) and other industrial gases produced by machinery are..

And I hadn't thought of the radia spectrum stuff. Good points there.

ausbjfan, I do love Stephen King's early novels - I reckon he's gone into pulp mode, though, and I find him unreadable now. Maybe I'm just old and cranky! Pet Semetary was great, as was Misery. I can't think of a King book I've enjoyed since Misery, though. I've stopped reading him.

kxk, yes! The Shining as a novel is so much better than the movie! Has there ever been a movie that's better than the book? There probably has been, but I can't think of one at the moment.

ausbjfan, I do love Stephen King's early novels - I reckon he's gone into pulp mode, though, and I find him unreadable now. Maybe I'm just old and cranky! Pet Semetary was great, as was Misery. I can't think of a King book I've enjoyed since Misery, though. I've stopped reading him.

kxk, yes! The Shining as a novel is so much better than the movie! Has there ever been a movie that's better than the book? There probably has been, but I can't think of one at the moment.

The Dome was first one I read in years. Misery was very good. Even towards the end of the dome was very repetitive and dragged on. The tv series looks good so far..
No your not old and cranky. My dad who is the biggest Stephen King fan doesn;t bother anymore. He prefers Dean Koontz.

Back