Skip to main content

Tina Arena Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1567.JPG.b0d25f52506467813b15c257939b1274.JPG

"Chains" by Tina Arena
Peak: number 4
Although she has re-embraced it in recent years, Tina Arena turned her back on her debut solo album, Strong As Steel, in the aftermath of its 1990 release - particularly top 3 hit "I Need Your Body". Disappearing from Australia to hone her songwriting skills, she took her time to return with new music. Released by her new record label, Columbia, her second solo album, "Don't Ask", was entirely co-written by Tina, who admitted to me a couple of years ago when I interviewed her that she was "totally freaked out" in the lead-up to it coming out. In fact, she said, "I was a fuckin' rabbit in headlights, I reckon, for fuckin' months, you know, where I was like, 'If this doesn't work, I'm fucked.'"
Turns out she had nothing to fuckin' worry about, with the lead single, power ballad "Chains" not only returning her to the ARIA top 10, but becoming a hit overseas as well. An indication of the type of music we could expect from her now she was more in control of her career, the song's soaring vocals and raw emotion connected in a way the frothy pop of "I Need Your Body" hadn't been able to with the local music industry, that still looked down its nose at pure pop. As a result, as well as selling a large number of singles, Tina also became a bona fide album artist, with Don't Ask spending a mammoth 86 weeks in the top 50, finally reaching number 1 in November 1995 and winning four ARIA Awards along the way, including Album Of The Year.

"Chains" by Tina Arena
Peak: number 4
Although she has re-embraced it in recent years, Tina Arena turned her back on her debut solo album, Strong As Steel, in the aftermath of its 1990 release - particularly top 3 hit "I Need Your Body". Disappearing from Australia to hone her songwriting skills, she took her time to return with new music. Released by her new record label, Columbia, her second solo album, "Don't Ask", was entirely co-written by Tina, who admitted to me a couple of years ago when I interviewed her that she was "totally freaked out" in the lead-up to it coming out. In fact, she said, "I was a fuckin' rabbit in headlights, I reckon, for fuckin' months, you know, where I was like, 'If this doesn't work, I'm fucked.'"
Turns out she had nothing to fuckin' worry about, with the lead single, power ballad "Chains" not only returning her to the ARIA top 10, but becoming a hit overseas as well. An indication of the type of music we could expect from her now she was more in control of her career, the song's soaring vocals and raw emotion connected in a way the frothy pop of "I Need Your Body" hadn't been able to with the local music industry, that still looked down its nose at pure pop. As a result, as well as selling a large number of singles, Tina also became a bona fide album artist, with Don't Ask spending a mammoth 86 weeks in the top 50, finally reaching number 1 in November 1995 and winning four ARIA Awards along the way, including Album Of The Year.

ohhh thank you

where did you find that?

I truly think that Tina Arena changing her hairstlye shows her artistic brilliance and how she is the best singer of all time. Because it shows that she does not follow trends she sets them. And soon she shall have a statue of her self about fifty foot high, made of solid gold, where people can come and worship her beautiful singing voice that sends angels into a frenzy of soullifting joy. Whose artistic greatness makes nature sing along with her songs. Whose pure and raw powercpontrols the seas and the skies with her hope and er dreams. Who makes one bang their head into the abyss as they can see her greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back