Skip to main content

The Weather Thread

Re: last week's blow, I woz sent the following news article today. Though it specifically mentions Rockingham, all Pertites know it could equally apply to near everywhere SOR as well as a couple of beachside suburbs closer to our moonie. :D

Rockingham storm

Torrential rain and strong winds hit Rockingham in the early hours of last night.

Victims were seen wandering around aimlessly, flannies soaked, woollen trackies sagging, muttering 'Faaackinell'.

Flood waters devastated the area causing approximately $30 worth of damage.

Three areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their Centrelink cheques arrived.

The Rockingham Times reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered and were still trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had happened in Read St.

One resident - Tracy Maree Sharon Britney Madonna Skye-Smith, a 15-year-old mother of 5 said 'It was such a shock, my little daughter Chardonnay-Mercedes came running in to my bedroom crying. My youngest two Joachim and River slept through it all.' The water rushed in the front door and out the back – it was amazing, the place has never been so clean!”

Apparently, looting, muggings and car crime were unaffected and carried on as normal.

The Australian Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Bacardi-Breezers to the area to help the stricken locals. Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, including Health Care Cards, Jewellery from Kmart and Bone China from Big W.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

This appeal is to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in this disaster. Clothing is most sought after - items most needed include: flannelette Shirts, tight blue jeans or spandex, singlets (blue & white) white sport socks, Ugg boots, hoodies and any other items usually sold in Priceline or The Reject Shop.

Food parcels may be harder to come by, but are needed all the same.

Required foodstuffs urgently needed include: Microwave meals, Baked Beans, Ice cream, Sarah Lee Frozen Cheesecakes, Chips, all Fizzy drinks, Wagon Wheels, Tim Tams, Coco Pops and Fruit Loops. No Diet Coke

Donations of $25.00 will be taken to buy a packet of Winny blue 25s and a lighter and cans of Jim Bean to calm the nerves of those affected.

regarDS

Oh gawd...! How freaking true of Rockingham is that??... :)

and Perth today (in Dianella at least) is bloody COLD at 13 degrees C, with thunder, lightning and other Thor induced activity, and now big fat rain... but little wind for a change (good - especially after last weeks tornado etc)

Melbourne peeps - feel the big quake last night?

Rocked our house. 5.3 (Newcastle was 5.6) and 60 after shocks since - haven't felt a thing.

SeanE were you caught up in the tornado last week? Didn't realise you were a fellow Perthite!

heya

nah my house is/was fine, I'm in Mont Clair just behind channel 10 studios so I'm about a kilometer away from where it all happened.

It is deadly out there right now! Absolutely peeing it down. Welcome to Spring :-(

It's been spring like here for a while, no rain but getting warmer and the bugs are all making a reappearance. All the signs that bloody summer is coming are here.

Alli are you having cold mornings? We are down to 3 tomorrow but should reach 26 by the afternoon.

Yes the mornings are cold - well, cool and the nights are still cool. Actually the weather is fairly close to perfect at the moment - except for the bug thing.

Still getting negative temperatures overnight here. The days are lovely though.

It is here too. 70km/h gusts. On the up side, if you can find a spot out of the wind, it's 25 degrees.

It's a fierce wind where I am. Up to 140km it's crazy.

Back