Skip to main content

The Weather Thread

Anyone around from Tassie?

Poor Tas looks like it's going to cop a bad summer. I lived there for a few years and it feels like 35 when it's 25 in Hobart, and they have no air con anywhere.

But the biggest concern is fires, 'so much timber...and they still talk about the big fir in the 60s when they had to abandon city homes and cower at the dock.

It's going to 34 today - that would feel like hell. It's weird feels so different from say WA heat, and you get weird burns from th ozone whole in december.

kxk tassie came out of the dark ages, I have ducted aircon in my house and three of my four workplaces have aircon as does my husbands workplace and the kids classes. All the large stores like woolies and kmart have it.

It's bloody freezing, we've got snow down to 800m and hail yesterday currently 16 degrees brrrr we had a top of 28 on the coastline on friday.

Guess that had to happen, since Tassie is developing into a warmer spot now, it will probably end up with the perfect climate - and piles of people trying to squeeze onto that small island whilst the rest of Aus burns.

I really couldn't get over how hot it felt at about 25, and I love heat and had just lived in WA for 10 years.

BLoody Freezing in Melbourne...at Midday it was 15.4 but felt like 8.6 (courtesy of my new weather ap) :(

437975-hot-australia-january-4.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/national/australia-boils-as-extreme-heat-hits/story-fndo4eg9-1226547438214

Take it easy everyone.

Just over 40 in Melbourne south.

Poor Tassie, they have gone over 41, hottest ever, fires, and I lived in Tassie - fuck that would feel hot and be terrifying, so much timber to burn.
I know everyone down there fears fire with good reason.

does anyone know if Australia Post stops deliveries at a certain temperature?

does anyone know if Australia Post stops deliveries at a certain temperature?

I'd say no. Mail still has to be delivered, rain, hail or shine. But if you are talking parcels, not normal mail, then around here it's contracted out, so I suppose if the contractor couldn't be bothered, then you don't get your parcel. There was always the thing at school that if it got to 40 degrees the kids have to be sent home. It got over 40 quite a few times, but sadly we didn't get to go home.

I'd say no. Mail still has to be delivered, rain, hail or shine. But if you are talking parcels, not normal mail, then around here it's contracted out, so I suppose if the contractor couldn't be bothered, then you don't get your parcel. There was always the thing at school that if it got to 40 degrees the kids have to be sent home. It got over 40 quite a few times, but sadly we didn't get to go home.

LOL same never got to go home, its unusual for this place not to get at least 1 bit of mail a day, let alone for 2 days, so was curious, especially since I have bit of special delivery waiting on, was hoping before weekend :( Thank god for aircon is all i can say!!

LOL same never got to go home, its unusual for this place not to get at least 1 bit of mail a day, let alone for 2 days, so was curious, especially since I have bit of special delivery waiting on, was hoping before weekend :( Thank god for aircon is all i can say!!

It was only 37 here today, you poor guys! #2 is in Melbourne and they have just been hanging in the hotel and other places with good air con. btw Mut, he and his g/f are coming over for dinner tonight, hope you have enough.

It was only 37 here today, you poor guys! #2 is in Melbourne and they have just been hanging in the hotel and other places with good air con. btw Mut, he and his g/f are coming over for dinner tonight, hope you have enough.

Haha I did just make a large fruit salad, will that be enough?? I hope their hotel had a pool for a dip at least? I spent most of the day yesterday at the beach knew today would be bit to much so stayed in aircon, how long are they here for?

Back