Skip to main content

The Voice 2020

I’ve never watched The Voice and don’t plan to, but I’m genuinely surprised at the network change. Maybe I was just oblivious to any BTS news but I didn’t see this coming at all! Really surprised Nine let it go.

I read the article and don’t get a good vibe though.
A new tighter format adapted for the latest viewing trends will see the new series maintain all the momentum of the past while injecting the dynamic pace we know audiences love.

“We’ve done it with Big Brother and Farmer Wants a Wife this year – and we couldn’t resist the opportunity to responsibly reimagine the format for The Voice 2021.

“We’ll deliver an established franchise ramped up for newer and bigger audiences, in a lean production format that speaks to modern viewers.”
I’m starting to see Seven as a network that views reality television as disposable content, rather than an asset.

Last edited:
I think they said something on Weekend Sunrise about it being a stripped back format with less episodes.
I'm not sure that is the way to go - with certain reality shows (BB being the other obvious one) you need more time to get to 'know' the contestants, not less.

I'm not a Sonia hater but I'm not sure why she has to be part of the deal. She doesn't seem to have much input or passion for the role, it might as well just be Darren McMullen.

I think they said something on Weekend Sunrise about it being a stripped back format with less episodes.
I'm not sure that is the way to go - with certain reality shows (BB being the other obvious one) you need more time to get to 'know' the contestants, not less.
Exactly. It’s a tad transparent. There’s no care for the product itself, just the money and ratings they hope to draw in with it.

7 also have Ultimate Tag which I am looking forward to.

9 is losing their appeal. Hopefully they get a new set of coaches.

I’ve never watched The Voice and don’t plan to, but I’m genuinely surprised at the network change. Maybe I was just oblivious to any BTS news but I didn’t see this coming at all! Really surprised Nine let it go.

I read the article and don’t get a good vibe though.

I’m starting to see Seven as a network that views reality television as disposable content, rather than an asset.

And they said they want to shorten the show even further. That's one of the biggest reasons IMO that no winner has had any commercial success pretty much worldwide. The blind auditions go for ages then they rush through the live shows giving no time for viewers to connect with the singers as well as the focus being more on the judges drama rather than the talent.

The same old, same old comment gives me hope that they will change the judging lineup completely.

Show will die if they get some talentless hack like Tina Arena though.

The contrast...

Pretty much proves the theory that they’re on payroll at Seven.

The same old, same old comment gives me hope that they will change the judging lineup completely.

Show will die if they get some talentless hack like Tina Arena though.

Tina Arena would be too good for that show.

Imo they should let the voice rest for a bit.

And they said they want to shorten the show even further. That's one of the biggest reasons IMO that no winner has had any commercial success pretty much worldwide. The blind auditions go for ages then they rush through the live shows giving no time for viewers to connect with the singers as well as the focus being more on the judges drama rather than the talent.

The Voice has never been about producing talent in the music industry... It’s a TV show that uses musical talent for it’s own success.

That's one of the biggest reasons IMO that no winner has had any commercial success pretty much worldwide.

Networks don't care about that in any capacity - they just want brand amplification and ratings, and audition rounds are where that's at. Managing talent is for the label.

Funnily enough, I'd heard earlier this week that Idol is being shopped around again. Nine have a gaping hole in their youth demo having lost The Voice, and there's a few other franchises floating around for the taking, so it'll be interesting to see where they go with it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nine does a network rebrand for 2021.

Networks don't care about that in any capacity - they just want brand amplification and ratings, and audition rounds are where that's at. Managing talent is for the label.

Funnily enough, I'd heard earlier this week that Idol is being shopped around again. Nine have a gaping hole in their youth demo having lost The Voice, and there's a few other franchises floating around for the taking, so it'll be interesting to see where they go with it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nine does a network rebrand for 2021.

Love Island should bring in some ratings?

The Voice has never been about producing talent in the music industry... It’s a TV show that uses musical talent for it’s own success.

Agreed. Even in the US, the Voice produces good singers, but never the stars that American Idol did.

Back