Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I have been sick for over two weeks now with not covid. I am one of the ones who have not had covid but from what I can tell what I have had must be like it. Cold/flu like symptoms, coughing, unable to sleep because cannot breathe (effecting asthma). Have had to use steroid tablets and use my inhaler so much it made my mouth hurt. No energy to do anything! So feeling for any of you that have had covid and it was nasty for you xx

Feel better soon!

I've had friends who have had something similar. Not covid according to PCRs but a very bad cold/flu. The doctors told them it was just a case of not being exposed to any cold/flu for a few years and so it hit them worse than normal.

Feel better soon!

I've had friends who have had something similar. Not covid according to PCRs but a very bad cold/flu. The doctors told them it was just a case of not being exposed to any cold/flu for a few years and so it hit them worse than normal.
Thanks - that sounds about right. Up until now I have not had a cold/flu since pre covid days - Thanks to transitioning from feb 2020 to working from home full time and not having to travel for work anymore. I feel bad as I am supposed to be going to a birthday celebration for my neighbour tonight but I can't. I walked the short distance between our two houses to give her a gift and I feel exhausted!

Sorry to hear that @Isee Hope you feel better soon. All these non covid ailments sound just as bad as covid.

I also still haven't had it, but had some horrible chest infection months ago which I felt had to have been it, but wasn't
All too strange!

I have been sick for over two weeks now with not covid. I am one of the ones who have not had covid but from what I can tell what I have had must be like it. Cold/flu like symptoms, coughing, unable to sleep because cannot breathe (effecting asthma). Have had to use steroid tablets and use my inhaler so much it made my mouth hurt. No energy to do anything! So feeling for any of you that have had covid and it was nasty for you xx
Hope you get well soon. Yes, bad cold/flu going around and as @up_all_night said it's hitting us harder than normal because we weren't exposed to anything for a couple of years. Bring on summer and the great outdoors.

Re: warts

Hi Timmy, nail polish could be a good idea, but sticky stuff has a satisfying pull each time you replace it

ZOMG the nail polish worked! Was thinking yesterday it had been a few days since I last gave it a top up (or replacement) coat, and I touched it with my finger and couldn't feel it... checked in the mirror and it's gone. Amazing. 25c bottle of clear nail polish achieved what $70 worth of two dry ice zappings failed to do. BEEUUUWWW!

It's interesting to read that one of the four main flu strains (B/Yamagato) may have become extinct over the past two years, thanks to a combination of masking, improved hand sanitary measures and lockdowns around the world.

Just seems crazy that had the whole world collaborated, we could potentially have eliminated the flu and Covid all in one go. Imagine a scenario where all countries simultaneously went into a six week lockdown. Difficult politically, economically, and practically, but we kinda had our chance and blew it. NOw that borders are open and world travel is back, there's no chance of ever achieving it.

It's interesting to read that one of the four main flu strains (B/Yamagato) may have become extinct over the past two years, thanks to a combination of masking, improved hand sanitary measures and lockdowns around the world.

Just seems crazy that had the whole world collaborated, we could potentially have eliminated the flu and Covid all in one go. Imagine a scenario where all countries simultaneously went into a six week lockdown. Difficult politically, economically, and practically, but weN kinda had our chance and blew it. NOw that borders are open and world travel is back, there's no chance of ever achieving it.
No need to think negatively. I'm an RN from a huge family of physicians, I'm also a person of faith & couldn't help thinking that Covid was a bit like the proverbial biblical flood. The way it traveled (airbourne) so quickly & killed so many (especially those refusing vaccines, masks or isolation) seemed to cross so many political & cultural boundaries. I like to think the next pandemic would be treated more aggressively (ebola raised its scary head in the US recently) I have faith, we are doing better as a world Cheers
US screens travelers from Uganda

I wish there was still some consideration like we're in a pandemic.

Last night I was catching the train home from the city. For some reason, the trains were arranged so multiple train lines have to catch the same train to another station before switching. As opposed to how it used to be, all separate trains.

The end result is that at 11pm at night the train is peak hour crush full. Of course no masks anymore.

I get that we're moving on and normalising stuff, but come on. There should still be some consideration rather than having 5 train lines jam-packed into one train every 30 mins. It's like they're trying to maximise spread.

I put a mask on, just for my own comfort.

Last edited:
I wish there was still some consideration like we're in a pandemic.

Last night I was catching the train home from the city. For some reason, the trains were arranged so multiple train lines have to catch the same train to another station before switching. As opposed to how it used to be, all separate trains.

The end result is that at 11pm at night the train is peak hour crush full. Of course no masks anymore.

I get that we're moving on and normalising stuff, but come on. There should still be some consideration rather than having 5 train lines jam-packed into one train every 30 mins. It's like they're trying to maximise spread.

I put a mask on, just for my own comfort.
As a nurse & particularly a life long Democrat where Drumpf & his ilk consider vaccines & masks counter to their freedoms, I'm pleased to let them die out. You're protected even in the tightest of crowds. Eventually, as crowds choose to be unprotected, they shall die out & there shall be more space. Bit harsh but true, the patients I have in the Covid wards are now young (20 to 40) unvaccinated & come in w/end stage disease in a state of denial. Cheers

Woke up with really bad body aches yesterday, and congested/runny nose. RAT this morning looked clear, but after about 30 mins a very very faint line appeared. Which is exactly what happened last time, just 10 weeks ago. So I'll stay in and be good, and retest on Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed I haven't got it again. I mean how? I'm an introvert who hardly ever goes anywhere with people. And I wear a mask when I leave the house. FFS.

Woke up with really bad body aches yesterday, and congested/runny nose. RAT this morning looked clear, but after about 30 mins a very very faint line appeared. Which is exactly what happened last time, just 10 weeks ago. So I'll stay in and be good, and retest on Tuesday morning. Fingers crossed I haven't got it again. I mean how? I'm an introvert who hardly ever goes anywhere with people. And I wear a mask when I leave the house. FFS.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will pass and you don't have to go through it all again.

Oh no Timmy all the best and I hope you
feel better soon.
I've had a sinus cough, but that's about it. No cold or flu symptoms, just a tickly throat that makes me cough.
And a bit hayfevery.
Still not had Covid, either my partner or I. Strange!

Oh no Timmy all the best and I hope you
feel better soon.
I've had a sinus cough, but that's about it. No cold or flu symptoms, just a tickly throat that makes me cough.
And a bit hayfevery.
Still not had Covid, either my partner or I. Strange!
You may have had it but not known.

Hopefully I don't have it again. Last couple of days were unseasonably cold here, maybe it was related to that. See what the RAT says on Tuesday.

Feel better!

RAT tests can develop a line if left out too long even if negative. Which is why they only suggest 15 minutes.

Feel better!

RAT tests can develop a line if left out too long even if negative. Which is why they only suggest 15 minutes.
I know they always say to disregard any results after 15 minutes, which is what I did back in August (faint line I noticed after maybe 30 minutes). So I thought I was fine and didn't test again for like three more days, and only because of the symptoms. Much more wary this time because of that experience. Don't want to be out spreading this shit around. I went and got a haircut last time after that supposedly negative test last time! I don't know whether my barber got it, but I'd have been at my most contagious at that point. His English isn't good enough to ask about that so I'll never know.

I know they always say to disregard any results after 15 minutes, which is what I did back in August (faint line I noticed after maybe 30 minutes). So I thought I was fine and didn't test again for like three more days, and only because of the symptoms. Much more wary this time because of that experience. Don't want to be out spreading this shit around. I went and got a haircut last time after that supposedly negative test last time! I don't know whether my barber got it, but I'd have been at my most contagious at that point. His English isn't good enough to ask about that so I'll never know.
I finally got the damn thing. But it was over relatively quickly, thank … ’Dog’.

Back