Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Yup, well it finally got me!
I had no idea.
I had my usual blocked sinus nose thing going on - nothing else, just my usual, blocked nose which goes into my ears, and back of my throat which annoys me more at night than though the day. So I thought nothing of it.
I had a bit of a runny nose on the Tuesday night. Nothing like a head cold, or anything to be a warning sign. The next few days just as I said, sinus, congestion. I did my usual sinus irrigation, which is a bizarre feeling at the best of time. Zyrtec pill , Dymista nasal spray. Went to work as usual as there was nothing strange going on ... although, having a bit of a sniffle, I was thoughtful of others around me, in case it was the start of a head cold.
Then one evening, 4 days later, and no symptoms worse, I was using nail polish remover, when I realised I couldn't smell it.
About 5 glasses of wine later, I began trying to smell things in the fridge etc, and couldn't smell anything!
Being a bit gung-ho and happy on the wine, I thought out of interest I'd test myself since we had RAT tests which were just sitting there ... ... and low and behold, I was positive! 1686557157521.gif
I redid the test 3 days later and I was negative. A crazy experience, and just goes to show how many people are out there, untested as they don't think they have anything - let alone the ones who don't test because they don't want to know!
No fever, no chills, no aches or pains, no sore throat, no headache, no cough, apart for post nasal drip cough which I usually have. Maybe a bit tired, then at my age now, I'm often tired. In fact, the symptoms I had after my 5th jab displayed all the symptoms I could have had, bar fever, and thought while testing if I had it, that's how I'd be feeling. But No!
So, it got me, finally! It didn't last long - thankfully.

Sorry to hear that. Hope y'all are better soon and it's mild.

I'm off on a visa run shortly. Siem Reap > Kuala Lumpur > Phnom Penh and back to SR. Let's hope I'm negative after my return unlike my weekend in Bangkok last year.
fingers crossed for your healthy return trip

I had no idea.
I had my usual blocked sinus nose thing going on - nothing else, just my usual, blocked nose which goes into my ears, and back of my throat which annoys me more at night than though the day. So I thought nothing of it.
I had a bit of a runny nose on the Tuesday night. Nothing like a head cold, or anything to be a warning sign. The next few days just as I said, sinus, congestion. I did my usual sinus irrigation, which is a bizarre feeling at the best of time. Zyrtec pill , Dymista nasal spray. Went to work as usual as there was nothing strange going on ... although, having a bit of a sniffle, I was thoughtful of others around me, in case it was the start of a head cold.
Then one evening, 4 days later, and no symptoms worse, I was using nail polish remover, when I realised I couldn't smell it.
About 5 glasses of wine later, I began trying to smell things in the fridge etc, and couldn't smell anything!
Being a bit gung-ho and happy on the wine, I thought out of interest I'd test myself since we had RAT tests which were just sitting there ... ... and low and behold, I was positive! View attachment 59701
I redid the test 3 days later and I was negative. A crazy experience, and just goes to show how many people are out there, untested as they don't think they have anything - let alone the ones who don't test because they don't want to know!
No fever, no chills, no aches or pains, no sore throat, no headache, no cough, apart for post nasal drip cough which I usually have. Maybe a bit tired, then at my age now, I'm often tired. In fact, the symptoms I had after my 5th jab displayed all the symptoms I could have had, bar fever, and thought while testing if I had it, that's how I'd be feeling. But No!
we tested because my parents had symptoms and were going to the drs and tested before they went into the practice. both my husband and i were negative on the rat test that day but ordered a pcr test as well. we had no symptoms at that time but my pcr came back positive, even though the rat I took the next day was still negative. husband took two more rats never got a positive test (including the pcr) but has all the same symptoms as the rest of us so we just have gave up with them and went yip you have it.

I had no idea.
Being a bit gung-ho and happy on the wine, I thought out of interest I'd test myself since we had RAT tests which were just sitting there ... ... and low and behold, I was positive! View attachment 59701
I am pleased it didn't get you badly!

The thing about this is, from what I've read, other's i know and now my own experience is, people are walking around with it for at least 2, 3 days when most contagious, before symptoms start, and then about 4 days before testing, if they do test, because the symptoms are so mild they don't think they have it.
A good few people only tested out of curiosity as they'd lost their sense of smell.
I wonder what the un vaxxed symptoms are like.

Last edited:
The thing about this is, from what I've read, other's i know and now my own experience is, people are walking around with it for at least 2, 3 days when most contagious, before symptoms start, and then about 4 days before testing, if they do test, because the symptoms are so mild they don't think they have it.
A good few people only tested out of curiosity as they'd lost their sense of smell.
I wonder what the un vaxxed symptoms are like.
A Florida mum of 8 & her husband all unvaccinated...wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I've been suffering from gut problems for many months now, I lie in bed with a pain in my abdomen, some nights it's like clenching and/or bloating, gas, and I don't sleep well at all. Previously I was aware that I didn't sleep well after eating pizza in particular but assumed it was just because it was greasy and fatty. But a couple of weeks ago I finally realised pizza, pides, and pasta all made the symptoms much worse, including all-over aches and joint pain, and that I actually have a gluten sensitivity, which in previous years was never an issue. The difference this year is that I had Covid in August last year. Only mild, too. A bit of research shows that Covid has been linked to gluten sensitivity, intolerance and (worse) Coeliacs disease. I tested my theory by avoiding gluten for 10 days, and felt much better for it, then tested it again by ordering a pide the other night and bang, there it was again. So I've reluctantly eaten more gluten for a few days in order to get a blood test done, and will go get that checked out. There's no history of Coeliacs disease in my family so I hope Covid hasn't magically unleashed that on me.

Long story short: if you enjoy pizza and pasta, mask up and avoid getting Covid. Who knew a few days in Bangkok would have such lasting effects. And I was careful too! Ugh.

I've been suffering from gut problems for many months now, I lie in bed with a pain in my abdomen, some nights it's like clenching and/or bloating, gas, and I don't sleep well at all. Previously I was aware that I didn't sleep well after eating pizza in particular but assumed it was just because it was greasy and fatty. But a couple of weeks ago I finally realised pizza, pides, and pasta all made the symptoms much worse, including all-over aches and joint pain, and that I actually have a gluten sensitivity, which in previous years was never an issue. The difference this year is that I had Covid in August last year. Only mild, too. A bit of research shows that Covid has been linked to gluten sensitivity, intolerance and (worse) Coeliacs disease. I tested my theory by avoiding gluten for 10 days, and felt much better for it, then tested it again by ordering a pide the other night and bang, there it was again. So I've reluctantly eaten more gluten for a few days in order to get a blood test done, and will go get that checked out. There's no history of Coeliacs disease in my family so I hope Covid hasn't magically unleashed that on me.

Long story short: if you enjoy pizza and pasta, mask up and avoid getting Covid. Who knew a few days in Bangkok would have such lasting effects. And I was careful too! Ugh.
Sorry to hear. Covid really does seem to bring out anything underlying that a person has.

I'll probably never know, as apparently these things can happen as you (ahem) get older. Anyway I'll see what the doctor says in the next couple of days.
Yes let us know. Hope you feel better soon.
This aging lark isn't much fun!

ikr? Ugh. Hope you're hanging in there. I need to get my eyes checked as well.
I still have ten days to wait before I get this op done. It's really bad trying to do anything with such distorted vision in one eye. I'm just counting the days down. It can't come fast enough.
Anyone want a one eyed hairdresser?
I've got a couple of clients this week I didn't want to cancel as they are easy. But if things get too difficult, I'll just have to cancel them. Sitting around waiting for December 15 to come would be hopeless. I need to try and keep busy to make the days go faster.

I still have ten days to wait before I get this op done. It's really bad trying to do anything with such distorted vision in one eye. I'm just counting the days down. It can't come fast enough.
Anyone want a one eyed hairdresser?
I've got a couple of clients this week I didn't want to cancel as they are easy. But if things get too difficult, I'll just have to cancel them. Sitting around waiting for December 15 to come would be hopeless. I need to try and keep busy to make the days go faster.
Take care Febs, i hope it all goes well for you.

Back