Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

It's made us all paranoid.

I was at a loss birthday party today, and a couple of people coughed, and I avoided them. I sometimes cough with sinus, so they could be doing the same thing. But hey, best to be cautious than gungho.
Exact;y, I tend to throw a "How Dare You' at someone who sneezes or coughs in public like they've committed som unforgivable social fopar...Then realizing it's not really a big deal haha we all cough and sneeze...

Well, today is my big day ... once a month I come down from my mountain hideaway and drive 100km's into town for shopping, supplies etc.. This time I'm taking a mask as the local news has been citing a rather hefty 3rd covid & flu wave hitting the east coast of Oz..

Exact;y, I tend to throw a "How Dare You' at someone who sneezes or coughs in public like they've committed som unforgivable social fopar...Then realizing it's not really a big deal haha we all cough and sneeze...

Well, today is my big day ... once a month I come down from my mountain hideaway and drive 100km's into town for shopping, supplies etc.. This time I'm taking a mask as the local news has been citing a rather hefty 3rd covid & flu wave hitting the east coast of Oz..
I think it's wise still to have a mask at least on you, so if things get uncomfortably crowded, you can put it on.

Tom Gleeson has been doing Hard Quiz Live, and posted a pic of the audience at the Enmore Theatre and hardly anyone was wearing a mask. Really surprised me. Why are people in such denial?

Tom Gleeson has been doing Hard Quiz Live, and posted a pic of the audience at the Enmore Theatre and hardly anyone was wearing a mask. Really surprised me. Why are people in such denial?

I just got back from the GP (I've got tonsillitis again - fuck me dead) and the GP wasn't even wearing a mask.
That was a shock.

I just got back from the GP (I've got tonsillitis again - fuck me dead) and the GP wasn't even wearing a mask.
That was a shock.
The last time I went to the GP the office is really strict that it must be surgical masks not cloth ones, and if you don't have one they will make you buy one from them. (luckily we have some) Then when get in to see the doc and he is wearing his incorrectly with his nose fully out and half the time his mouth exposed. Okay....

Me! And I have no idea how!
Same! It seems that while it's very contagious that it only is for some people. My youngest son got it but his partner didn't my eldest son went away for a weekend with his mates, drove one of them home and found out the next day that his mate tested positive but my son never got it and then his partner got it but he still didn't.
That was a shock.
Haha! I need another cup of tea I think! I thought you meant that you'd been to a Grand Prix! Haha! I think I'll put the kettle on...

PS Hope you're feeling better soon.

The last time I went to the GP the office is really strict that it must be surgical masks not cloth ones, and if you don't have one they will make you buy one from them. (luckily we have some) Then when get in to see the doc and he is wearing his incorrectly with his nose fully out and half the time his mouth exposed. Okay....
Good grief. Most masks are useless now. You need a properly fitted N95 one (i.e. no leakage around the edges), and even they can't completely prevent B.A.5. This strain is a growing worry.

We all need to be careful, especially in crowded places. I think the worst would be on the train or plane. Especially on a plane between boarding and takeoff, as the ventilation isn't turned on, and the air in there rapidly fills with everyone's exhaled breath. If I was flying now (and TBH it would be nice for a change) I'd definitely be waiting to board towards the end.

Good grief. Most masks are useless now. You need a properly fitted N95 one (i.e. no leakage around the edges), and even they can't completely prevent B.A.5. This strain is a growing worry.

We all need to be careful, especially in crowded places. I think the worst would be on the train or plane. Especially on a plane between boarding and takeoff, as the ventilation isn't turned on, and the air in there rapidly fills with everyone's exhaled breath. If I was flying now (and TBH it would be nice for a change) I'd definitely be waiting to board towards the end.
I still (as far as I know have not had it) but I do think that flight home to NZ is going to be the time I can see me getting it if not before.

So who has managed to avoid the Big C so far?
I haven't had it yet - but I do live on a farm in the remote outback sort of.. the town I live near only has 200 people. The closest major town is 100 km's away.
So typical, I have been waiting for them to announce this as I only go into town once a month and today I went, then on the way back home around 3pm the news said we can get it as of Monday .... Oh well, I'll book it in for next month or September.

I’ve been to lots of shows / concerts recently and I would say less than 10% are wearing masks these days.

I’ve been to lots of shows / concerts recently and I would say less than 10% are wearing masks these days.
We went and saw Ben Elton in Newcastle last April, after the show had been cancelled in March 2020, and even back the no one wore masks. It's insane!
Yet, speaking to people from overseas, they say no one is social distancing, wearing masks, and reckon Australia is over reacting! the pandemic is far from over. I just dont get it!

Back