Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I'm reluctant to go overseas anytime soon.
I think my family think I'll be going back next summer (as in UKsummer time). If I do I'll be booking at the last minute. Usually if I go for June /July I'd already have it booked. A bit too scared to for awhile yet.
I'd prefer to wait to see how things go first.
After having to cancel going in 2020, don't want to go through all those dramas again.

I'm the same. Definitely wait and see how things pan out.

If we have 3 or 4 months where it's getting back to normal. I can't rule out booking a last minute trip. The desire to just go and experience something different is getting painful. Curiosity got the worst of me a few weeks ago and I stupidly started googling options for overseas trips. It literally overwhelmed me with emotion at just the thought of doing something like that again.

Managing a few interstate trips during the breaks in lockdowns, Sydney and North Qld. I do know I can travel domestically with good results of experiencing new things. I'd love to go to Ningaloo reef in WA. Although from the cost of diving liveaboards there. I might as well spend a bit more and fly overseas.

If we have 6-12 months where things are getting back to normal. I will strongly be considering something. The main thing I'd want to know before travelling is what that "normal" is. We still have no clear idea on that. I want there to be some stability in the system. I don't want to have any major suprises. Risk suddenly being locked out of the country or locked in another country. Cancelled flights. Suddenly needing to pay for a first-class ticket to get home. Extra costs for guaranteeing when I didn't expect it.

There are so many unknowns.

Although I am being odd. I bought myself a new telephoto camera lens. Purchased really just for anticipation of when I can fly somewhere overseas with wildlife. I think some part of me just wants to be ready to go at a moment's notice. Getting some satisfaction in slightly preparing to travel again.

I think it depends on personal situation. For overseas holidays I think it'll probably be better to wait until 2022 but for people who are desperate to see family and plan to stay outside Australia for at least a few months then it actually makes sense to go as soon as they can.

Do you mean 2023?

Last edited:
The main thing I'd want to know before travelling is what that "normal" is. We still have no clear idea on that. I want there to be some stability in the system. I don't want to have any major suprises. Risk suddenly being locked out of the country or locked in another country. Cancelled flights. Suddenly needing to pay for a first-class ticket to get home. Extra costs for guaranteeing when I didn't expect it.
This is my worry, but I'm hoping, now with a high percentage of people vaccinated, that we won't go back down that path. But you don't know.

The betters, if they so desire, will be able to spread their particular gifts throughout the world. That is one of the major reasons international borders should open for the betters.

My arm STILL hurts a bit. Got the damn thing last Wednesday. Grrrrr.
Well at least I now know she actually gave me the shot. One second she was about to jab me and I looked away, the next she's putting the swab on it and I literally hadn't felt a thing.

Well at least I now know she actually gave me the shot. One second she was about to jab me and I looked away, the next she's putting the swab on it and I literally hadn't felt a thing.
yeah pfizers like that, then a few hours later bam arm hurts and you know!

My arm killed for about 2 days after both AZ shots, but thankfully that was my only side effect. A friend got pretty run down the day after, but everyone else I know was fine.

@February bet you were busy at work today!

I waited about 45 mins at the barber today, but was so worth it. First cut in 4 months, best feeling ever! Finished with a beer at the pub with some mates! Sydney definitely had good vibes today, everyone was in such a good mood!

I waited about 45 mins at the barber today, but was so worth it. First cut in 4 months, best feeling ever! Finished with a beer at the pub with some mates! Sydney definitely had good vibes today, everyone was in such a good mood!
I don't start back until Wednesday!
The restrictions of only 5 clients per salon we had to work out who's working when, and because I only usually work Wednesday - Saturday I felt I should free up space for those who dont want specific days like me, since there are 7 of us.
It must feel good feeling more like yourself again and popping into the pub for a few 😀

My arm killed for about 2 days after both AZ shots, but thankfully that was my only side effect. A friend got pretty run down the day after, but everyone else I know was fine.
Yes, my first AZ jab hurt more on the first one. The second one sort of came and went, Came back and went again. But I had no weird feelings after it like the first one.
I wonder if we will have to have the booster shots.
My mum In the UK just had her 3rd one, and no side effects, and again a sore arm.
Pfizer that was.

There'll be an election announced by the end of this week.

Summer is coming in Sydney. People locked up for months. A great time for the singles. I think NYE might be huge.

I don't start back until Wednesday!
The restrictions of only 5 clients per salon we had to work out who's working when, and because I only usually work Wednesday - Saturday I felt I should free up space for those who dont want specific days like me, since there are 7 of us.
It must feel good feeling more like yourself again and popping into the pub for a few 😀
Probably a blessing in disguise!! It was bloody busy lol.
The 5 person per salon rule definitely slows down the process, but understandable. Having a blanket rule of 5 per salon, regardless of size, is a bit silly though. You can have 5 clients in a tiny barber shop, but also the same amount in those huge fancy Eastern Suburbs salons? I think the square metre rule probably makes more sense? Hopefully they ease up a bit when we hit 80% next week!

There'll be an election announced by the end of this week.
Actually, I retract that. This morning, Morrison seems to have decided to go to COP26 in Glasgow after all. Which would indicate no election this year.

Actually, I retract that. This morning, Morrison seems to have decided to go to COP26 in Glasgow after all. Which would indicate no election this year.
He's doing the numbers.
Projecting he's going to lose a fair few of seats in Vic & Queensland, but thinks he'll make them up in NSW. That's why he's giving us so much love lately. Too little, too late I think. But then again, people have short memories..

He's doing the numbers.
Projecting he's going to lose a fair few of seats in Vic & Queensland, but thinks he'll make them up in NSW. That's why he's giving us so much love lately. Too little, too late I think. But then again, people have short memories..
So I guess cases and deaths increasing in NSW over the next five weeks will all be for nothing, if they don't hold it in November? I was sure is was all for a short term sugar rush for the election, especially with people being urged to vote early rather than wait until election day.

Here in Cambodia, 79% of total population is 1+ vaxxed; 66% are double vaxxed. Bars still not allowed to sell alcohol (but it's being done surreptitiously, served in mugs lol). They're seeing how things go and will make a decision on opening up by the end of next week, which may even include reopening for tourism. There will be a lot of relieved people when that happens. So many hotels, bars and tourism operators have lost everything they had.

Probably a blessing in disguise!! It was bloody busy lol.
The 5 person per salon rule definitely slows down the process, but understandable. Having a blanket rule of 5 per salon, regardless of size, is a bit silly though. You can have 5 clients in a tiny barber shop, but also the same amount in those huge fancy Eastern Suburbs salons? I think the square metre rule probably makes more sense? Hopefully they ease up a bit when we hit 80% next week!
I don't understand this logic either but if it's not equal then people will would probably complain. Maybe it'll change. Wonder if Joh Bailey in Double Bay has reopened?

Back