Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

We should have followed Sweden’s herd immunity approach from the beginning. Now we are following Israel’s terrible example and ruining livelihood’s.

True, the mental health fallout will be devastating. And for what? To protect some people who will die in a few years anyway.

It's something people always ask me as I am widely travelled (all 7 continents) but I really have just shut down that desire. I will think about it once it's actually possible. I'm also generally a spur of the moment traveller. Opportunity opens up where I have time and I just know where I want to go and book. I don't see it being much different unless I get into a situation where that can't happen anymore and I have to plan out far in advance. I think the days when I can spend months travelling are most likely past me, so maybe planned shorter trips is what I'll end up doing.

General thoughts though.

I loved Africa, so that's always been high on a list to go back to. I don't really know what form of trip going back would be. I spent months their previously, so done a lot. Thinking of having the main objective be using my newly gained physical fitness to climb Kilimanjaro. Then from there expand out with safari and other stuff. I honestly could right now plan out a 6 month trip in Africa of doing stuff I want to do again and better. As well as new stuff.

Another return somewhere I've been is the Galapagos Islands. I regret I didn't spend more time there when I went. I also can now scuba dive. So a longer trip, more islands and diving is something I am keen on. Then maybe onto elsewhere in South, Central or North America. I haven't been to Columbia or Cuba. I also would like to travel around Chile and Patagonia.

There are endless cool diving trips I could do, but I will not think about them until after it's possible. I think these would fit more into, "I have a week or two free, I will fly to" short notice kind of trips.

Malaysia and Borneo is another possibility for a trip rattling around my head. I'd like to see Orangutans in the wild.

The girlfriend claims she wants to go to Japan. She's not adventurous or travelled like me, so who knows. She'd have little interest in the trips mentioned above.

In late 2019 a friend managed to convince about 20 people to go to Singapore and it was awesome being somewhere cool with so many people. So there's been the odd talk of once we can do something, maybe just go somewhere in Asia, maybe Bali for a week with a large group. Which then I'd extend, go do some diving. Go elsewhere in Indonesia, see Komodo dragons etc.

I don't expect international travel to really be an option for another year or more. So I am not going to think too much about it.
You sound more like an adventure traveller than I am! I wish I was that adventurous. I only want to tan on a yacht in the Mediterranean sea, eat nice food and dance a bit, European beach parties.

He does that?

Spent $280,000 years ago. Much more recently (Almost $800,000 across his tenure).

Spent $280,000 years ago. Much more recently (Almost $800,000 across his tenure).

Geez, how sad.

Back