Skip to main content

The Vertigo Appreciation Society

ohhh did you go?

i wish i could do like a 24 hour freaky friday body swap with you so that i can see those movies on the big screen.

Yes, I went, but I didn't stay for Rear Window, was just too tired. And the Astor still has its original wooden seats, not really conducive to a 4 and a half hour session.

It must have been quite a while since I'd seen Vertigo since I'd entirely forgotten the plot twist! I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best movie of all time, there were a few clunky bits in it. And Scottie is a bit of "a dick" by modern standards - he got a few laugh/groans from the audience at a couple of points. Kim Novak was just great I thought. The best section of the film was when he was trailing her, great atmosphere.

And I forgot to look for Alfred Hitchcock's cameo dammit.

Yes, I went, but I didn't stay for Rear Window, was just too tired. And the Astor still has its original wooden seats, not really conducive to a 4 and a half hour session.

It must have been quite a while since I'd seen Vertigo since I'd entirely forgotten the plot twist! I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best movie of all time, there were a few clunky bits in it. And Scottie is a bit of "a dick" by modern standards - he got a few laugh/groans from the audience at a couple of points. Kim Novak was just great I thought. The best section of the film was when he was trailing her, great atmosphere.

And I forgot to look for Alfred Hitchcock's cameo dammit.

i think he's meant to be a dick though. scottie that is.

i think he's meant to be a dick though. scottie that is.

He needs to be a pretty self centred person for the story to unfold as it does, but at the end, do we feel for him at all?

There are also things he says to Judy, like when he asks her to change her hair colour, "Why? It couldn't possibly matter to you". That make him a bit dicky above and beyond the call. If we had gotten some sense that he understood how he was behaving, and maybe regretted it even as he did it, he might have been a more sympathetic character.

He needs to be a pretty self centred person for the story to unfold as it does, but at the end, do we feel for him at all?

There are also things he says to Judy, like when he asks her to change her hair colour, "Why? It couldn't possibly matter to you". That make him a bit dicky above and beyond the call. If we had gotten some sense that he understood how he was behaving, and maybe regretted it even as he did it, he might have been a more sympathetic character.

I think he was too far gone in his behavior to regret it.

Back