Skip to main content

The Princess Bride Appreciation Society

To all fans of this movie, I highly recommend that you watch Stardust. That movie, is like a trillion times better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/

When I sat down to watch it I wasn't expecting much but 20 minutes into it was totally blowing my mind away. It's arguably my favourite Fairy Tale film of all time.

Defecates and then pisses all over TPB for good measure to be brutally honest.

The Princess Bride is way better than Stardust.

All I was trying to do was lead fans of fairy tale/fantasy movies to another underrated masterpiece of the genre. :angelic:

As the biggest fan of The Princess Bride of this forum I appreciate you recommending another movie to watch. However, what I don't appreciate is the criticism you put in your post regarding The Princess Bride. This is an appreciation thread, you can't criticise in an appreciation thread, no matter how valid the criticism. But that doesn't apply here as The Princess Bride is the most perfect film in the history of cinema. Nothing will be better than that movie. When we reference movies in terms of the time they were made and released we should refer to it as BTPB (before The Princess Bride) and ATPB (After The Princess Bride).

Sounds weird but the best part for me is the very start. When Fred Savage is playing the Baseball game and it fades in. I will always remember that old 8 bit (I think) version of take me out to the ball game.

It tells me to settle in for one of the greatest movies ever.

Billy Crystals (can't remember his characters name) explanation of Wesley's reason to live had me in tears as well. "True Love" turns into "to blaaaathe" which apparently means "to bluff", and he thinks he was killed after bluffing in a card game LOL.

GEDpCYn.jpg

MTI1MjM2NzMxNTM1NDc2NzQ2.jpg

Ten+Fan+Things.jpg

I first saw it at the cinema with my sister in '87 or '88.

It became "our" movie, and I've seen it an almost unhealthy amount of times.

Since my sis was married a few years ago, I often spout to her the lines: "Mawwage..." and "Wuve, twue wuve..."

We watched it a few weeks ago, and I just think it's pretty much a perfect film. An incredible blend of action, comedy, drama, fantasy and romance. Perfect casting, direction, script, music, etc. One of the ultimate "entertaining for the whole family" films.

It's hard to pick a favourite character, but I was always very fond of Andre's Fezzik.

Vizzini: No more rhymes now, I mean it!
Fezzik: Anybody want a peanut?

Why are we avoiding the elephant in the room? Does no one else think that Robin Wright, Buttercup, is the most ethereal creature to grace the silver screen?

I just watched TPB again tonight (2nd time) and loved it.

It's a very entertaining movie, not one dull moment in the whole film. ....... the acting of Mandy Patinkin.

thank you @reepbot for mentioning Mandy - I had no idea that was him.

Tonight watching the movie I was waiting for that moment when Inigo was looking over the cliff by himself to match up with that old avatar @Inigo Montoya used to have (I originally thought you had the most exotic name until I realised it was a character!) then I realised OMG it's the dude from Criminal Minds - whaaaaat!!
Mandy used to have such a nice shaped face/head!

anyway I am in a good mood after watching that movie - no negative nancies on this thread will take that away from me

I just watched TPB again tonight (2nd time) and loved it.

thank you @reepbot for mentioning Mandy - I had no idea that was him.

Tonight watching the movie I was waiting for that moment when Inigo was looking over the cliff by himself to match up with that old avatar @Inigo Montoya used to have (I originally thought you had the most exotic name until I realised it was a character!) then I realised OMG it's the dude from Criminal Minds - whaaaaat!!
Mandy used to have such a nice shaped face/head!

anyway I am in a good mood after watching that movie - no negative nancies on this thread will take that away from me
I can't believe you remember my old avatar... yeah it's from when Inigo says "I hate waiting" then almost straight after that offers the man in black the rope...

Yep TPB will defo put you in a good mood!

I remember as kids always trying to master the phrase "Mawwage, mawwage is what brings us together today"
At my wedding my dad handed me a piece of paper and made me read it out aloud. It said "Mawwage, Mawwage is what brings us together today" It def got a laugh from those that knew me well!

Back