Skip to main content

The New One - The OF Topic Friendly Chat Thead

Sorry if I hijacked any forum reconstruction of a thread, or whatever but I saw there was a need for something ............ not sure what or why, but I did it ......

So this is like what you did today? I raked up the lawn, after mowing - all 1/2 an acre - trying to build up arm muscles because my bingo arms are not pretty :)

Here is something to chat about:)

Quiz: Are you addicted to reality TV?
Have you caught yourself transfixed by the twists and turns of your favourite reality TV show? Perhaps riding a rollercoaster of emotions as you watch the contestants battle it out for love, or dancing, singing or cooking supremacy?

If you’re hooked on reality TV, you’re far from alone. In fact, some might argue it’s virtually impossible to avoid getting sucked in, with reality TV programs from Married at First Sight, to The Voice, The Block, MasterChef, I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Hereand The Bachelor dominating our screens.

While it’s undeniably entertaining, reality TV leaves many of us wondering: ‘why am I watching this rubbish?’

So just why are these shows so addictive?

Professor David Marshall, Chair in New Media, Communication and Cultural Studies at Deakin, believes there are a couple of key reasons.

‘One relates to that history of reality programs, that they are designed as if they are versions of ourselves. So that creates the ‘ordinary as extraordinary’ model of celebrity, in a way,’ he says.

The second factor is the rumour and gossip involved in the shows – think of Dean’s recent wife-swapping adventures on Married At First Sight, for example.

“It’s a way which we can … without hurting ourselves, play in a world of rumour and scandal one removed from ourselves,’ Prof. Marshall says.

While we may feel we’re losing brainpower by watching reality TV, Prof. Marshall says it pays to remember that very sophisticated writers and producers are creating these programs.

‘What they’re good at is casting, and that is picking variations of people that will produce variations of content,’ he says.

‘The writers then play with the editors to produce an environment of conflict, of contradiction, of narrative tension and whether it exists or doesn’t you’re just caught up in it.’

Prof. Marshall says part of the addictive quality is the fact audiences are constantly trying to work out what is real and what is false.

So are you addicted to reality TV? Take our quiz to find out.

Take the quiz here.....
http://this.deakin.edu.au/lifestyle/quiz-are-you-addicted-to-reality-tv

Oh dear, I took it twice, once I got RTV dodger, and RTV enthusiast........I have lost interest in most RTV, Survivor is the only one I watch enthusiastically, the rest are comedies I watch for a laugh.....who is manipulating who???Contestants or producers???

LOL
I do that at maccas sometimes, swipe the tv guide.......
plus sugars for emergencies, and plastic spoons i like, the long handled black ones

Professor David Marshall, Chair in New Media, Communication and Cultural Studies at Deakin, believes there are a couple of key reasons.

‘One relates to that history of reality programs, that they are designed as if they are versions of ourselves. So that creates the ‘ordinary as extraordinary’ model of celebrity, in a way,’ he says.
Thanks Kxk.
Twas a good read.
But I think David Marshall needs a "Captain Obvious" title rather than professor.😀

Reactions: kxk
Damn old people at coffee shops. Three newspapers and the crossword page has been swiped from all of them.

and all the mags, that were 6 months old - sitting for customers to just read - all swiped or stolen...... and you have to be quick to get a TV guide, from the latest weekend paper ...... I do not get it!

I'm hoping this is a safe space for this.......

I had my car in for some work this week because someone rammed up the back of my car at a traffic light. I went with my insurances suggested company. I've been there before and they seemed like a misogynistic kind of workplace but they were nice and helpful last time. But this time, I felt like I was belittled because I was single female. Everything was vague. They removed the cover over the spare tyre in my boot and didn't put it back in. I called them the second I noticed but my calls kept being "on hold". It's a pain in my arse to get to them again to put the cover back in because I am sure they wont be helpful. And I am having a super bad week, and I feel like they wouldn't do this to someone who had a husband, and it is the second time today I have thought that about something. BTW they also changed the clock on my car to an incorrect time even though the only damage they were repairing was my rear bumper. I had to look up the manual to correct the time because it isn't easy to change the time

I’m sorry that happened to you @delcan
Probably won’t help, but you don’t have to be a single female to cop this attitude. I’ve been talked down to “your husband would understand”. That was a car issue to.
Look after you first (I noticed the comment about a super bad week) and then when you have the strength, give them a hard time. It’s never too late for a formal letter of complaint.

Sorry that happened to you delcan, but unfortunately it seems all too common these days. There's a lack of respect for anybody, regardless of gender, age or anything else. There are also good people, but they are harder to find.

I am going to ditto what others have said Delcan. I can feel a rant coming on about it all if I say much more than that cos that kind of thing is a major pet peeve of mine, so I will refrain from saying much else. I hope its all sorted now.

I'm hoping this is a safe space for this.......

I had my car in for some work this week because someone rammed up the back of my car at a traffic light. I went with my insurances suggested company. I've been there before and they seemed like a misogynistic kind of workplace but they were nice and helpful last time. But this time, I felt like I was belittled because I was single female. Everything was vague. They removed the cover over the spare tyre in my boot and didn't put it back in. I called them the second I noticed but my calls kept being "on hold". It's a pain in my arse to get to them again to put the cover back in because I am sure they wont be helpful. And I am having a super bad week, and I feel like they wouldn't do this to someone who had a husband, and it is the second time today I have thought that about something. BTW they also changed the clock on my car to an incorrect time even though the only damage they were repairing was my rear bumper. I had to look up the manual to correct the time because it isn't easy to change the time
This is a safe place.... I mean it’s the internet, of course it’s safe!

😂😂😂😂

What a horrific thing to happen to you. But given that you had already had dealings with a workplace you yourself judged as misogynistic, I’m surprised you chose to deal with them again. Personally I wouldn’t go back to a garage who had a misogynistic vibe, but in saying that I would never describe men who had that vibe towards me as nice or helpful.

It is normal to be placed on hold, and while it’s annoying, sometimes we have to wait. I think, I’ll rephrase, I hope this defeated “if I had a husband they wouldn’t do this...” mentality you have shared is dated. Women have voices, we have choices and if you feel you received poor service based on your sex, speak to the manager.

So my opinion, complain in writing.

I do hope your week gets better.

Back