Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

…I remeber that when I was about 11-12-13 years old that when my gang of mates and myself wanted to travel between Lambeth in Southwark in south east London and wanted to travel around London… (and because we were too lazy to walk it)… we used to jump on red double decker buses instead of walking everywhere… we had no money to pay the fares of course so we’d wait at bus stops and tried to get in the middle of the lineup and get on the bus mingling amoung the crowd… we always went upstairs and hid at the front seats when they were available…

…the bus conductors would always hand out the bus tickets to the passengers in the lower decks first and by the time he got upstairs to us we would have progressed 2-3 or 4 stops and when he caught up with us and asked us our destination and then for the money for the fare we would then say that we had no money to pay the fare… he would then get the shits and then pulled the cord for the bus to stop at the next bus stop and then throw us off the bus (nice of him to wait until the bus actually stopped before throwing us off at least lol!)…

…we’d then kept repeating the same thing until we finally got to where we wanted to … and then the same for the trip home… so we had a whole day of bus travel for free… sometimes we copped a ‘clip behind the ear’ from the bus conductor on the way out of the bus but it was a small price to pay for a free day out lol!… we were such little gits that had no fear lol!… aaaaaaah!… those were the days!… but lots of adventurous fun for little shit brats that age… cheers.

…I remeber that when I was about 11-12-13 years old that when my gang of mates and myself wanted to travel between Lambeth in Southwark in south east London and wanted to travel around London… (and because we were too lazy to walk it)… we used to jump on red double decker buses instead of walking everywhere… we had no money to pay the fares of course so we’d wait at bus stops and tried to get in the middle of the lineup and get on the bus mingling amoung the crowd… we always went upstairs and hid at the front seats when they were available…

…the bus conductors would always hand out the bus tickets to the passengers in the lower decks first and by the time he got upstairs to us we would have progressed 2-3 or 4 stops and when he caught up with us and asked us our destination and then for the money for the fare we would then say that we had no money to pay the fare… he would then get the shits and then pulled the cord for the bus to stop at the next bus stop and then throw us off the bus (nice of him to wait until the bus actually stopped before throwing us off at least lol!)…

…we’d then kept repeating the same thing until we finally got to where we wanted to … and then the same for the trip home… so we had a whole day of bus travel for free… sometimes we copped a ‘clip behind the ear’ from the bus conductor on the way out of the bus but it was a small price to pay for a free day out lol!… we were such little gits that had no fear lol!… aaaaaaah!… those were the days!… but lots of adventurous fun for little shit brats that age… cheers.
what a cool memory & love that everywhere but the USA has public transport grrrrr We have light rail in LA, but only recent planned improvements are going to allow it to actually arrive at the airport grrrrr again. No wonder we are so stuck on foreign oil. We moan about $6/gallon (non imperial) petrol (bangs head grrrrrr)

…do you remember that metal Slinky that I managed to finally buy a little while back after a lot of searching?… well… some of the little grandkids were here on the weekend and one of them asked me what it was… usually something keeps them occupied for about 3 minutes or so but once I showed them how it worked it kept them occupied for about an hour or so… it just goes to show that simple toys like what we used to play with are just as good today…and… no batteries needed lol!… cheers.

…do you remember that metal Slinky that I managed to finally buy a little while back after a lot of searching?… well… some of the little grandkids were here on the weekend and one of them asked me what it was… usually something keeps them occupied for about 3 minutes or so but once I showed them how it worked it kept them occupied for about an hour or so… it just goes to show that simple toys like what we used to play with are just as good today…and… no batteries needed lol!… cheers.
slinky josh's best
trained slinky circus

…when I was at School I always remember that I had to get a School-bus to get to the local Railway Station to get to my town and then walk a Kilometre home after School every day… to make the journey home I HAD TO buy a pyramid shape block of ice called a ‘Sunny Boy’ or a ‘Glug’ or a ‘Razz’ (my favourite)… to get me home lol!… they looked like this…4B3D86B3-BE49-491F-92AF-98E0A0F79C2B.jpeg
…does anyone remember them?… do they still make them?… they were great… as I said before… the Razz was the best… aw man… I feel like one now…even at 10:00 pm lol!… cheers.

…when I was at School I always remember that I had to get a School-bus to get to the local Railway Station to get to my town and then walk a Kilometre home after School every day… to make the journey home I HAD TO buy a pyramid shape block of ice called a ‘Sunny Boy’ or a ‘Glug’ or a ‘Razz’ (my favourite)… to get me home lol!… they looked like this…View attachment 59367
…does anyone remember them?… do they still make them?… they were great… as I said before… the Razz was the best… aw man… I feel like one now…even at 10:00 pm lol!… cheers.
Yep, Razz was the best, the flavour seemed to last the longest. That was the main problem with these things, sucking on the ice just seemed to mostly suck the flavour out leaving you with a not appealing block of weakly flavoured ice.

…I remember that when I was about 8-12 years old that whenever my mum used to catch either my brother or myself swearing that she made us swallow a teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil as punishment… it was the was the most disgusting taste that I had ever encountered… I never stopped fucking swearing though lol! 🤬… cheers.

Strangely enough I didn't mind the taste of cod liver oil as a kid. It sounds disgusting now, though. I think my mum gave it to my sister and I in winter as a cold preventative, I can't remember. It was obviously a syrup which made it more kid taste friendly.

I remember sitting on the curb when we went to the shops while my mum had to dig her stilettoed heel out of the cracks in the pavements. Fancy going shopping in stiletto's! Go Mum!

I also remember walking in to lamp posts. I had a habit of walking along looking down instead of ahead! Nothing wrong with me 1667863422231.gif

Strangely enough I didn't mind the taste of cod liver oil as a kid. It sounds disgusting now, though. I think my mum gave it to my sister and I in winter as a cold preventative, I can't remember. It was obviously a syrup which made it more kid taste friendly.

I remember sitting on the curb when we went to the shops while my mum had to dig her stilettoed heel out of the cracks in the pavements. Fancy going shopping in stiletto's! Go Mum!

I also remember walking in to lamp posts. I had a habit of walking along looking down instead of ahead! Nothing wrong with me View attachment 59377
…geez February… you have a lot stronger constitution than I would ever have… 🫢… I nearly vomit just thinking of having Cod Liver Oil lol!… that’s a funny image of your mum with her heels though… and… watch out for street signs and those lamp posts… they’re sneaky little buggers when they sneak up on you lol!… cheers.

Were there different types? I remember it being thick.
The one thing I couldn't stomach was the yellow penicillin cough mixture. I could still puke at the thought of it.
I just looked it up and it was for chest infections, not coughs or flu. I used to get chest infections as a child in the UK.
My mum used to have to ram bread in my mouth to keep it down, from memory.

…I remember that the makers of a throat Lozenge called ‘Fisherman’s Friend’ had an Ad that used to say something like “do you have a sore throat?… make sure that you suck a fisherman’s friend “… (or something similar)… my brother and I would break out in laughter… my dad gave us a filthy look and poor mum never caught onto the inference of it all… she’d look at my dad in total bewilderment and asked my dad “what are they laughing at?”… dad never told her…he’d just say something like “god only knows” (or something similar)… lol!… such funny days… cheers.

Remember chat rooms?

Just randomly go and chat to people. Make online friends and add them ICQ.

Go onto the chatroom websites and find a chat room on a topic you're interested in. Does anything like that exist anymore?

I used to have a website based around a Punk band from the US I liked. Had a whole little community there. With a chatroom and a forum.

I do kind of miss that niche community of randoms. You'd have many over different forums. Then social media came along and destroyed a lot of that.

This place is a legacy of that age of the internet. The handful of other forums I visit are mainly just so big there's no sense of community. If there's a community spirit on somewhere like Whirlpool, I don't get a sense of it. It's just a forum on many topics.

Remember chat rooms?

Just randomly go and chat to people. Make online friends and add them ICQ.

Go onto the chatroom websites and find a chat room on a topic you're interested in. Does anything like that exist anymore?

I used to have a website based around a Punk band from the US I liked. Had a whole little community there. With a chatroom and a forum.

I do kind of miss that niche community of randoms. You'd have many over different forums. Then social media came along and destroyed a lot of that.

This place is a legacy of that age of the internet. The handful of other forums I visit are mainly just so big there's no sense of community. If there's a community spirit on somewhere like Whirlpool, I don't get a sense of it. It's just a forum on many topics.
I didn't really do the chat room thing, but I did have a group of random friends who'd go on msn for chats, connected to a forum I frequented back in the day.
It was fun at the time.

…when some of our granddaughter’s visited us on the weekend one of them recalled a poem that I told their mum and dad that I recited from when I was a kid of about 10 - 11 years old back in England… she remembered it because it had the word ‘arse’ in it lol!… it goes…

IN THE DAYS OF OLD WHEN KNIGHT’S WERE BOLD
TOILET PAPER WASN’T INVENTED…
THEY WIPED THEIR ARSE ON A PATCH OF GRASS
AND WALKED AWAY CONTENTED…

…haha!… she only overheard it once quite a few years back but had never forgotten it… it’s funny that kids remember throw away lines that you said so many years earlier lol!… that poem inspired me as a 14 - 15 year old teenager to draw a cartoon of it at the time… here it is lol!… cheers.

CBD96988-B09C-45C6-9852-483CA94CA572.jpeg

I remember that one!
And then there was "t'was on the good ship venus, ... ... " with a string of naughty verses.

Anything with a rude word in it caught my attention! 😂

Last edited:
I remember that one!
And then there was "t'was on the good ship venus, ... ... " with a string of naughty verses.

Anything with a rude word in it caught my attention! 😂
…there was a completely nonsensical rhyme that made no sense whatsover that I remember too… it went something like this…

I WENT ROUND A STRAIGHT CROOKED CORNER
I FOUND A DEAD DONKEY ALIVE…
I STABBED HIM WITH MY PISTOL
AND THIS IS WHAT THE DONKEY REPLIED…

”I WENT TO THE PICTURES TOMORROW
AND GOT A FRONT SEAT AT THE BACK…
I SAW A MOVIE THAT HAD ENDED
AND THAT WAS THE END OF THAT!”.

….I have absolutely no idea why I remember that rhyme from when I was about 7 years old… but I still do lol!…maybe because I love odd and stupid things perhaps?… lol!… cheers.

Back