Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

…I’ve always loved drawing and painting since about 9 or 10 from memory… my dad used to be a professional photographer amongst other jobs…one day when I was walking through the house at that young age I noticed my dad doing a drawing of a girls face… I was amazed!… (apparently… when he was in the British Army in WWII he used paint murals on the side of Tanks and Planes like Bombers etc…

…I asked him to show me how he did the drawing so he taught me how to do it… so as I drew it as he was teaching me he was totally shocked on how well I picked it up… and… in his words… “how good it was”… he soon realised that i had a natural talent for drawing… he told me to keep repeating the drawing of the girls face over and over again until my drawing was as good as his… a few weeks later I presented my drawing to him… he thought that it was one of his drawings… lol!… from then on he kept on encouraging me more often to keep me interested in honing my drawing skills god bless him…

…if you’re interested… I’ve put some of my artwork onto the’Deviant Art’ website…

…it’s only about 25% of the stuff that I’ve ever done but these are the only ones that I have copies of… I guess that I should’ve started keeping copies of my works a lot sooner eh?… oh well… it is what it is… I hope that you enjoy them… cheers.

My d/art account --> https://www.deviantart.com/petersheppley
(ignore the name contradiction, it's just a pseudonym...)

Do you remember SPARROWS, ugly little brown birds, introduced
(why?, to make more homely for poms, wtf)

So, in Vic, and elsewhere apparently , the little fuckers have disappeared

I hate them because, as a adolescent they fucked up my sleep.
At that strange time we were the only house in the street with trees, and we had a Forrest
Parents were country peeps and very early greenies
So outside my window hundreds of shitty sparrows would wake me up at.....
“Sparrows fart”..... literally, around 4-5am

You get more sensitive to your surrounding in puberty, they drove me crazy

And now, GONE, thank you, dreary things compared with fab Aussie birds
This only occurred to me watching fantastic birds around me, next door to a golf course, we have
Lots of lovely native birds

Ummm... You have my family to partially blame for that. Starlings too... :)

I had an uncle on my mother's side back in the 1800's who exported native birds to the UK (Cockatoos, Budgies and the like) and so that the cages didn't come back empty, would import and release native UK birds to make it seem 'more like England...' for all the homesick colonists.

Starlings are now declared vermin and are to be reported and shot on sight. :+/

Hey there resident forum artists, @Mr Stickyfingers and @SeanE ....
Interesting background info both of you
Sean, birds.....has it stopped being legal to export birds now? You see smugglers being caught doing awful things.
I am curious did you also have a talented artist parent?

This trait is present through all of my siblings from our dad, plus mum was a work of art herself utterly elegant
And we were all expected to be great at art, and I thought everyone could draw etc until about grad 6

I was thinking this just today when opening another sealed can these days they all have those convenient ring pulls on the top where they open up easily and there's no need to use the old can opener anymore. Remember back years ago nearly all cans had to be opened with a good old can opener. I can't remember the last time I used the old can opener. Must have been many years ago now...lol

c700x420.jpg
I wish can openers were a thing of the past... Sadly most cans still require one in this part of the world.

Hey there resident forum artists, @Mr Stickyfingers and @SeanE ....
Interesting background info both of you
Sean, birds.....has it stopped being legal to export birds now? You see smugglers being caught doing awful things.
I am curious did you also have a talented artist parent?

This trait is present through all of my siblings from our dad, plus mum was a work of art herself utterly elegant
And we were all expected to be great at art, and I thought everyone could draw etc until about grad 6

Various cousins are arty as well, but I don't recall any of my uncles and aunts and definitely not mum and dad being artistic. Maybe it just skipped a generation? :)

I was thinking this just today when opening another sealed can these days they all have those convenient ring pulls on the top where they open up easily and there's no need to use the old can opener anymore. Remember back years ago nearly all cans had to be opened with a good old can opener. I can't remember the last time I used the old can opener. Must have been many years ago now...lol

c700x420.jpg

LOL! Most tins here in Australia now all have these ring pulls on them the same as the cat food tin in this video here. I don't even know where my old can opener is these days...lol

If you watch the video he touches on why a can opener might still be useful even with a pull top.

I remember when I was younger back in the 80's and possibly the early 90's the old Kentucky Fried Chicken stores used to have the big bucket outside the store that used to actually slowly spin around. These days they still have the buckets outside the store but they are just stationary.

Although someone here seems to have posted a video of a store 11 years ago here with a spinning bucket. They used to be cool back in the day...

I remember when I was younger back in the 80's and possibly the early 90's the old Kentucky Fried Chicken stores used to have the big bucket outside the store that used to actually slowly spin around. These days they still have the buckets outside the store but they are just stationary.

Although someone here seems to have posted a video of a store 11 years ago here with a spinning bucket. They used to be cool back in the day...

We had the same thing in Canada. Some are still around but usually in smaller towns with older stores.

Hey @Mr Stickyfingers and anyone .....a bit older like us...
SUNBURY.....anniversary
Anyone else did you go to Sunbury?
LOL my bros and I...we were about 14, but very sneaky..
We paid a friend of our older (proxy) brother to drive us there
Borrowed somebodies tent and stuff
Told parents we were going with a young Christian church group
Invited a couple of buddies, and woo hoo 3 days of hedonistic eye opening fun

And, hilariously half our catholic school class was there, lift home sorted

How or what we ate or drank, no idea, probably didn’t matter much
Weed came in matchboxes back then
Lots of very drugged peeps staggering around

When we got home....parents had been seeing lots of colourful stuff on the news
They laughed at our sneakiness, I think they were glad to have a couple of more adventurous kids
All our older siblings (4 of them) were useless, dumb, bores...2 didn’t leave home until they were in their 30s
My bros and I middle children, determined to be nothing like that lot
And, we led the younger siblings to follow our ways

…wow!… that must have been awesome kxk… you lucky lady… (Sticky bursts into song) those were the days my friend la la la lah etc… to be young again eh?… lol!… cheers.

Hey @Mr Stickyfingers and anyone .....a bit older like us...
SUNBURY.....anniversary
Anyone else did you go to Sunbury?
LOL my bros and I...we were about 14, but very sneaky..
We paid a friend of our older (proxy) brother to drive us there
Borrowed somebodies tent and stuff
Told parents we were going with a young Christian church group
Invited a couple of buddies, and woo hoo 3 days of hedonistic eye opening fun

And, hilariously half our catholic school class was there, lift home sorted

How or what we ate or drank, no idea, probably didn’t matter much
Weed came in matchboxes back then
Lots of very drugged peeps staggering around

When we got home....parents had been seeing lots of colourful stuff on the news
They laughed at our sneakiness, I think they were glad to have a couple of more adventurous kids
All our older siblings (4 of them) were useless, dumb, bores...2 didn’t leave home until they were in their 30s
My bros and I middle children, determined to be nothing like that lot
And, we led the younger siblings to follow our ways

I didn't go to Sunbury...can't remember why now...but my boyfriend at the time did go...he came back with several love bites and that was the end of him! :mad::p

…my dad was always cracking ‘dad’ jokes all the time…this one he told me when I was about 14-15 years old methinks… as a matter of fact this one actually made me laugh… here’s how it goes…

dad:… how do you keep an idiot in suspense?…

me:…I don’t know… how?…

dad:… I’ll tell you tomorrow!…

…haha!… he got me a beauty!… aswell as being quite a funny man he was also one of the most intelligent men I ever met… I sure have some great memories of him… I miss his corny ‘dad’ jokes lol!… cheers.

I wish can openers were a thing of the past... Sadly most cans still require one in this part of the world.

The other day I was in a local independent supermarket and I was actually happy to see they still had some home brand cat food cans on the shelf that were the old school type with no easy to use ringpull where you need a classic can opener to open them. I haven't seen a can like that for years in the other major supermarkets around here...lol

Another one I remember when I was younger was the old "SPAM" tins where you had to break off the little metal key and use it to roll around the metal strip to open up the can. I am amazed that we didn't end up slicing our fingers back in those days using these old things...lol

…i remember when I was about 17 - 20 years old and used to go nude surfing at (I think it was called Primby Beach from memory) in Wollongong with about 8 mates in 2 cars… we used to be playing heaps of songs on the Cassette Player over and over… but young horny boys being boys we used to make up our own rude dirty fithy and totally obscene lyrics to go with the music… aw man!… weren’t they disgusting lol!… the most disgusting one was “I saw her standing there” by The Beatles lol!… and… (I was quite a lousy surfer to be honest)… lol!… and… after the first time that I did nude surfing all day… I realised that you don’t only put Zinc on your nose!… (Kentucky Fried Dick or what?)… ouch!… lol!… cheers.

…for the past 3 Mondays my Physio has taken me to the local swimming pool as part of my recovery exercises… it’s the first time that I’ve been in water for at least 4 years… they have to slowly lower me into the water via an automatic chair once I’ve transferred from my wheelchair that is rolled up beside it… writing this post above makes me realise what fun and care free days that they were back then… surfing was always so much fun (even though I wasn’t so good at it lol!)… so much balance and mobility back then that I used to take for granted… I’d give anything to go surfing one more time… trouble is… how to ride a surfboard in a wheelchair lol!… as I said… what fun and care free days… oh well… life is what it is eh?… but… I’m the type of ‘always looking forward’ kind of guy so who knows what is going to happen?… (hmmmm… perhaps that’s why I watch endless repeats of Bondi Rescue lol!)… now!… how to fix a wheelchair to a surfboard?… hmmmmmm!… think Sticky… THINK!… lol!… cheers.

…i remember when I was about 17 - 20 years old and used to go nude surfing at (I think it was called Primby Beach from memory) in Wollongong with about 8 mates in 2 cars… we used to be playing heaps of songs on the Cassette Player over and over… but young horny boys being boys we used to make up our own rude dirty fithy and totally obscene lyrics to go with the music… aw man!… weren’t they disgusting lol!… the most disgusting one was “I saw her standing there” by The Beatles lol!… and… (I was quite a lousy surfer to be honest)… lol!… and… after the first time that I did nude surfing all day… I realised that you don’t only put Zinc on your nose!… (Kentucky Fried Dick or what?)… ouch!… lol!… cheers.

lol, we used to do stuff like that aswell when we were younger. One song that I reckon many used to sing to was that song from the "The Angels" called "Am I Ever Going To See Your Face Again". Anyway after he says in the song "am I ever going to see your face again" we would then sing "no way, get fucked, fuck off"...LOL! :D

Back