Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

They have smiley fritz too
IMG_6406_crop.jpg

I saw this list and had to have a bit of a laugh. I was in year 6 in 1978.

Those prices!:D(but no devon and tomato sauce rolls on that list which was my favourite)

View attachment 51181

Geez I was working in the City in 1978

I reckon my wages were around 80 bucks a week then. I used to get an awesome jaffle that was ham chesse and pineapple. Think I paid almost $2. Ripped Off! - Should have stayed at School LOL

I didn't grow up near a creek but I did grow up in the 70s where we'd ride out bikes to school, the shops, our friends houses, just ride around.
Oh yeah to riding bike around:thumbsup:. It was the next best thing to owning a car (as a kid). You had wheels, you were cool.

I had a purple dragster bike as a kid that my darling witch of a sister and her bestie decided to take for a spin whilst I was away for the weekend and when I came back on the Sunday night, I found it all banged up. Sis was riding the bike and doubling her mate and they lost control of the bike and landed into a neighbours fence.

I loved that bike (and wanted to throttle my sis for damaging it).

Oh yeah to riding bike around:thumbsup:. It was the next best thing to owning a car (as a kid). You had wheels, you were cool.

I had a purple dragster bike as a kid that my darling witch of a sister and her bestie decided to take for a spin whilst I was away for the weekend and when I came back on the Sunday night, I found it all banged up. Sis was riding the bike and doubling her mate and they lost control of the bike and landed into a neighbours fence.

I loved that bike (and wanted to throttle my sis for damaging it).
For a brief period my younger sister and I shared a house. I had a large picture which was in a very happy place on the wall. She didn't like the position so moved it. I told her that it would fall as I doubted her hammering skills into the mortar surrounding bricks and she said no it wouldn't. Sure enough, it fell as we looked at it and glass went everywhere into shag pile carpet. I was furious. Just as furious as when she and a friend drank my unopened gift bottle of Johnny Walker Red without my permission.

...when we first arrived in Australia we never had bikes as kids but I always 'borrowed' the kids flashy looking bike next door when I wanted to go for a ride... I used to ride up and down and around the block on it hoping to see this cute girl that I had the hots for a couple of streets away... I used to think that she might think that it's mine and that she would be impressed...

...when the kid next door got wind of me 'borrowing' his prize flash bike he bailed me up one day and to get myself out of trouble with him we then struck up a deal... if I wanted to 'borrow' his bike 'legally' then I had to draw the 'Title Pages' in his Schoolbooks lol!... (remember when we used to do that?)... because I could draw and because the other kids saw the 'Title Pages' in both his and my books I then got asked to do all the other kids 'Title Pages' in their books too... I used to charge them about 25c a pop to do them from memory... that money used to buy me lots of stuff like lollies and iceblocks after school lol!...

...anyhow... I digress... after borrowing his bike 'legally' one day I rode around there once and that cute girl (that I had the hots for) was outside her house watching this other kid showing off in front of her riding a friggin' Unicycle... how could I possibly beat that!... she looked really impressed and my heart sank and right there and then I decided to never ride around there again... I so wanted to punch that twerp out but he was way way way bigger than me so I didn't... at that young age I realised that love sucked... well... only until I fell in love with the next cute girl that came along at least... being 14 years old and falling in love with any cute girl I saw certainly was a tough time lol!... aaaah!... such fun days eh?... lol!... cheers.

I know this wasn't the point of your story Mr Sticky, but I had completely forgotten about title pages! Yes, every subject had its own exercise book, and we were asked to do a title page, which presumably had to be more than just words, as that would get graded too. Thanks for reminding me of something I would probably never have thought of again.
I doubt kids today even do them, or even write in books anymore.

Love hearing about school year memories from you guys. :thumbsup:

God I hated assembly and having to sing the national anthem.

I am ashamed to say that I used to just lip sync the words because I couldn't give a rats arse remembering the lines. :shamefully:

I loved getting those gold stars at school when you did good. Made you feel special.

But then when you played up (unfortunately too often in my case) got afternoon detention.

School years were the best.

Last edited:
I know this wasn't the point of your story Mr Sticky, but I had completely forgotten about title pages! Yes, every subject had its own exercise book, and we were asked to do a title page, which presumably had to be more than just words, as that would get graded too. Thanks for reminding me of something I would probably never have thought of again.
I doubt kids today even do them, or even write in books anymore.

...haha!... I guess that's going to happen in this particular thread eh?... yes I wonder if they do them nowadays too Meglos... in my day they were a sort of 'badge of honour' if you had good Title Pages... for instance... in my Science book I used to draw Bunson Burners/ beakers/ bottles of acid etc for instance... remember these type of things?...

hi_lab_equipment.jpg2ba0f030-212c-4457-8ce6-39c6c2bb8892Original.jpg
images

...the same with all the other subjects too... my favourite one to illustrate was History because you could draw almost any famous person or event... such fun memories lol!... cheers.

I loved getting those gold stars at school when you did good. Made you feel special.

But then when you played up (unfortunately too often in my case) got afternoon detention.

School years were the best.

...unfortunately I was always on detention for something or another and was forever getting the cane (or 'the cuts') as we used to call them lol!... erm... I did mention that I was a little shit of a kid didn't I?... lol!... cheers.

Love hearing about school year memories from you guys. :thumbsup:

God I hated assembly and having to sing the national anthem.

I am ashamed to say that I used to just lip sync the words because I couldn't give a rats arse remembering the lines. :shamefully:

...hahaha!... that reminds me of when when we emigrated to Australia and I had only been in School for about a week or so and I got into trouble with one of the assembly teachers for not singing the National Anthem and she was going to put me on Detention for it!... I had no idea what the words were!... it was hard enough to remember 'God Save The Queen' when on assembly in England let alone knowing the Australian version lol!... I remember standing there and thinking something like "welcome to Australia Peter... been in Australia for about 3 weeks and I'm already in trouble!... welcome to Australia!"... (or something similar)... lol!... cheers.

I was a good kid, never got the cane, but the worst punishment I ever got was when I lightly tapped my best girl friend on the back when she was drinking out of a bubbler (remember bubblers?). A teacher was walking past and she said I pushed the girl into the bubbler! So despite my friend saying I didn't, I had to stand against the wall for all of lunchtime. Shocking, I know.

I was a good kid, never got the cane, but the worst punishment I ever got was when I lightly tapped my best girl friend on the back when she was drinking out of a bubbler (remember bubblers?). A teacher was walking past and she said I pushed the girl into the bubbler! So despite my friend saying I didn't, I had to stand against the wall for all of lunchtime. Shocking, I know.

...wow!.. Meglos!... I never knew that you were such a 'bad-ass!' at School... tapping your best friend on her back like that lol!... it's a wonder that you never got the cane for that!... lol!... cheers.

...wow!.. Meglos!... I never knew that you were such a 'bad-ass!' at School... tapping your best friend on her back like that lol!... it's a wonder that you never got the cane for that!... lol!... cheers.

Ha! :D Yes, total badass (not).
My brother did get the cane once - for something he didn't do. There was a really feral girl who would push other kids off their bikes, beat them up, or worse. She pushed my brother off his bike and "borrowed" it, so he dobbed on her and our parents let the school know. Feral girl wanted revenge, so she lit a fire and said my brother did it. It was a minor fire, but she must have been from a bit of a firebug family because her brother later almost burnt the school down. I was in a younger year, but I remember being evacuated for half a day.

Ha! :D Yes, total badass (not).
My brother did get the cane once - for something he didn't do. There was a really feral girl who would push other kids off their bikes, beat them up, or worse. She pushed my brother off his bike and "borrowed" it, so he dobbed on her and our parents let the school know. Feral girl wanted revenge, so she lit a fire and said my brother did it. It was a minor fire, but she must have been from a bit of a firebug family because her brother later almost burnt the school down. I was in a younger year, but I remember being evacuated for half a day.

...hahaha!... wouldn't it be scary to live next door to that family of arsonists?... if you smoked you wouldn't ask them for a match would you?... lol!... cheers.

things I remember from pre-school,we used to pay shop with fallen tree trunks and all the pods and leaves was our currency.
We used to go ice-skating for fun as teens and then later to white horse Inn...the source of many a parents headache and which is now a drug rehabilitation center...how ironic is that!!

Back