Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

...I can't imagine that anyone that watched 'Gilligan's Island' doesn't know the lyrics... but just in case... here they are below...

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
the Skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour.
A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,

the tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew,
the Minnow would be lost.
The Minnow would be lost.
The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,

with Gilligan,
1a.gif
the Skipper too,
2a.gif

the Millionaire
3a.gif
and his wife,
4a.gif

the movie star,
5a.gif
the Professor
6a.gif

and Mary Ann,
7a.gif
here on Gilligan's Isle.

... I always had to laugh though... you had a professional captain of a boat that had no idea on how to patch up a boat to get them home... you had a Professor that could make 'walkie-talkies' out of coconuts and wire yet couldn't repair the boat... they built themselves luxury shacks and even a 'car' out of palm trees and coconuts yet couldn't repair the damn boat!... lol!... aaaaah!... the days of just accepting that it was just a ridiculously stupid show made purely for fun are over aren't they?... lol!... cheers.

...I can't imagine that anyone that watched 'Gilligan's Island' doesn't know the lyrics... but just in case... here they are below...

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
a tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
the Skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour.
A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
the tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew,
the Minnow would be lost.
The Minnow would be lost.
The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,

with Gilligan,
1a.gif
the Skipper too,
2a.gif

the Millionaire
3a.gif
and his wife,
4a.gif

the movie star,
5a.gif
the Professor
6a.gif

and Mary Ann,
7a.gif
here on Gilligan's Isle.

... I always had to laugh though... you had a professional captain of a boat that had no idea on how to patch up a boat to get them home... you had a Professor that could make 'walkie-talkies' out of coconuts and wire yet couldn't repair the boat... they built themselves luxury shacks and even a 'car' out of palm trees and coconuts yet couldn't repair the damn boat!... lol!... aaaaah!... the days of just accepting that it was just a ridiculously stupid show made purely for fun are over aren't they?... lol!... cheers.
Pmsl, loved Gilligan's Island and what you have written about the show is so true.

I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, The Partridge Family, Brady Bunch, Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, Shintaro - The Samurai, just to name a few of my favourite shows I loved watching as a kid.

Last edited:
Pmsl, loved Gilligan's Island and what you have written about the show is so true.

I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, The Partridge Family, Brady Bunch, Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, Shintaro - The Samurai, just to name a few of my favourite shows I loved watching as a kid.

Jeannie-or-the-Tiger-Screencaps-3x02-i-dream-of-jeannie-5740893-768-576.jpg

...hahaha!... my brother and I were so in love with Jeanie... we were so pathetic... we were both totally convinced that we could see 'muff' and 'nips' if we looked really hard lol!... yeah I know... boys will be boys eh?... cheers.

The ones in bold I loved too lol. Plus Monkey, Thunderbirds, Skippy, The Curiosity Show, Three's Company, and sooooo many more!

I have a son currently living and working on a tiny little island in Indonesia that gets about as close to Gilligans Island aas you can get. 2kms long and 1km wide. No cars only push bikes, regular pony or shank's pony. He is based at an Eco hostel so it looks very much like part of the tv show set. I'm hoping to get over to see it for myself real soon.

He isn't in this picture but this is the actual hostel.
image.jpg

Last edited:
...with Shintaro the Samurai... because we were young kids at the time my brother and sister and I were in awe of the 'special effects' in the show on how high the Ninja's could jump... we were gobsmacked... we used to tell dad how amazing it was and asked him how they could possibly jump that high and he used to just laugh and say... "you'll figure it out one day!"... lol!... I was eventually the one that figured that they were merely jumping backwards off the tree branch or building and just reversing the film lol!... but still... they were still great 'special effects' in their day as far as we were concerned lol!... cheers.

shintaro-1.gif shintaro-2.gif

Every generation thinks things were better in their day, but I think there's a case for it actually being true when it comes to the music, tv shows and toys of, we'll say... the sixties through to the nineties.

...the mid 60's to the late 70's were the best for me... if I could go back in Time with a Time Machine I would love to go back and visit those times... especially the early 70's... lol!... cheers.

I have a son currently living and working on a tiny little island in Indonesia that gets about as close to Gilligans Island aas you can get. 2kms long and 1km wide. No cars only push bikes, regular pony or shank's pony. He is based at an Eco hostel so it looks very much like part of the tv show set. I'm hoping to get over to see it for myself real soon.

He isn't in this picture but this is the actual hostel.
View attachment 50910

...oh wow qtkt!... colour me impressed!... that's awesome... but there are some people missing from the photo so I took the liberty to update it... I hope that you don't mind... I'm afraid that the little Devil on my left shoulder got the better of the little Angel on my right shoulder :redface::shy:... lol!... cheers.

qtkt-gilligan's Island..jpg

...oh wow qtkt!... colour me impressed!... that's awesome... but there are some people missing from the photo so I took the liberty to update it... I hope that you don't mind... I'm afraid that the little Devil on my left shoulder got the better of the little Angel on my right shoulder :redface::shy:... lol!... cheers.

View attachment 50913
Love it sticky. They look quite at home there!

...with Shintaro the Samurai... because we were young kids at the time my brother and sister and I were in awe of the 'special effects' in the show on how high the Ninja's could jump... we were gobsmacked... we used to tell dad how amazing it was and asked him how they could possibly jump that high and he used to just laugh and say... "you'll figure it out one day!"... lol!... I was eventually the one that figured that they were merely jumping backwards off the tree branch or building and just reversing the film lol!... but still... they were still great 'special effects' in their day as far as we were concerned lol!... cheers.

View attachment 50911 View attachment 50912
Oh you little ripper Mr S, uploading the Shintaro - The Samurai clips. :thumbsup:

Sis and I were exactly like you and your siblings in total awe at how on earth were they able to jump so high and the jumping backwards is what really impressed me the most.

Yes, it was years later for us too, to cotton on about the reverse filming.

Back