Skip to main content

The "Harry Potter" and "Vampire" jabs

Well, I wouldn't say it to him, ever, but especially not within minutes of meeting him, but really, ever - however, I was thinking last night that Richard's face reminded me of the moon in the Mighty Boosh.

A bit like if Robert Pattinson was doing the moon face.

But you don't say those things to people, even as 'jokes'. You join forums like this and say them. Ryan is a hostile little shit; he gets a bit of venom out along with his quick wit. It isn't nice.

This doesnt change the conversation but I thought they were talking about hogwarts because he looks like Robert Pattinson aka Cedric from Harry Potter. Maybe I heard wrong.

Hey!

I am sorry for that dramatic outburst. Instead of "Goodbye" I should really be saying "Hello" to you. :)
Sometimes I just take things so personally in here. Your post felt like a sarcastic dig at me which is why I was annoyed and unfortunately bit back. I don't mean to sound dramatic everyone. I also didn't want this thread to turn into a nasty argument.

To me I find the whole "Harry Potter" and "Vampire" name calling immature and I personally felt it was rude for Ryan and Lawson to say this on the first night of meeting Richard. Also like what @Deja mentioned above that instead of these comments by Ryan and Lawson being a compliment they were (to me) came off in a negative/put down kind of way. That was the point I was trying to make.

Feel free to discuss your point of view but please don't personally attack me for having a different view to you.
Yeah, in Texas people compliment each other all of the time. However, beware of the compliment that begins with "god bless her/him..." The ... is usually a put down. To me, the comparisons were a put down and not a compliment.
:sick: Please don't hate me for having an opinion.

Well if I offended you Lucas that wan't my intent and I'd like to apologise. I *was* doing a fair bit of eye-rolling reading your 'vampires suck the life force out of people' take on a fairly inoccuous comment made by some housemates and to that end I was merely trying to point out that I thought you were drawing a bit of a long bow. If someone suggested a housemate looked like a 'supermodel' would that be a simple observation complimenting the person on their looks or a thinly-veiled.....(no pun intended) suggestion that she/he had an eating disorder.

I was just trying to explain to some people who didn't get why it might be considered rude to be called a "Vampire". I didn't think at all that Ryan was trying to say to Richard that he was sucking the life force out of anyone.

My opening post sums up how I feel about this situation. The following replies of mine were about how being called "Harry Potter" and a "Vampire" could be considered rude and perhaps even as an insult.

How is it, in anyway rude?

As far as I'm aware, Daniel Radcliffe isn't a bad looking bloke at all, I mean, it's not like he's being called Ron Weasley.

And people are calling him a vampire because he also looks like Robert Pattinson (I don't see it), who is a pretty good looking bloke, and I'm straight.

So.... yeah..... how is it rude?

You are not really the real Tahan???
:facepalm:

Nah he looks more like Radcliffe than Pattinson for me.
I think Rich is what the lovechild between Radcliffe and Pattinson would come out looking like, his face has bit and pieces of each of those 2 guys.

Though I don't think Ryan, Lawson, etc.. necessarily mean it as a compliment per se, them making references to those actors/characters it's something that would be very low in the bullying scale for mine.

Richard just seems irritated and bored with it tbh, don't think he's that psychologically bothered by it.

Am I the only one who finds the constant mentions about and to Richard's face of looking like "Harry Potter" and looking like a "Vampire" is really immature and mean?

What is this high school? Ryan and Lawson wouldn't like it if they were called a "Vampire" constantly! O_O

How friggin' rude is saying that to someone you just meet? I think that is probably the thing that makes me mad the most. Who do they think they are? Who gives them the right to say that? RUDE! :madd:

You can see Richard is not impressed at all. He's in a hard position. He wants to make friends but if it was me I would have told them to "F*** off!" :laugh: :smuggrin:

Even Sonia was doing it too! *cringe* :wtf:

I thought the were meaning the he look like Robert Patterson who Portrayer Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Vampire Reference and due to the Twilight Movie

Robert-Pattinson-as-Cedric-Diggory-in-Harry-Potter.jpg

Que?

How can being likened to a famous person be construed as an attack on that person?

It's not as if Richard is a doppelganger of the guy from Twilight, or Daniel Radcliffe, but there are obvious similarities. Perhaps Ryan and Lawson didn't know the name of the actor, so they referred to him as a vampire in order for Richard to know exactly who and what they were talking about? Regardless, he even replied saying something along the lines of 'I was wondering how long it would take until that got brought up' so he must get it quite often.

Lucas, your argument would make sense if they had straight up called him a vampire for no reason, as you have said yourself, that word carries bad connotations (i.e. "blood sucking creature"). However, they clearly meant he looked like the actor who's only standout role was playing a vampire, not an actual vampire. That's exactly how Richard interpreted it too.

I think Rich is what the lovechild between Radcliffe and Pattinson would come out looking like, his face has bit and pieces of each of those 2 guys.

Though I don't think Ryan, Lawson, etc.. necessarily mean it as a compliment per se, them making references to those actors/characters it's something that would be very low in the bullying scale for mine.

Richard just seems irritated and bored with it tbh, don't think he's that psychologically bothered by it.
I don't think they said it as a compliment either.

But I don't think they said it as an insult as well.

It's just an observational joke.

And no, not the joke where you pay someone off.

Back