Skip to main content

The "Harry Potter" and "Vampire" jabs

Lucas

Am I the only one who finds the constant mentions about and to Richard's face of looking like "Harry Potter" and looking like a "Vampire" is really immature and mean?

What is this high school? Ryan and Lawson wouldn't like it if they were called a "Vampire" constantly! O_O

How friggin' rude is saying that to someone you just meet? I think that is probably the thing that makes me mad the most. Who do they think they are? Who gives them the right to say that? RUDE! :madd:

You can see Richard is not impressed at all. He's in a hard position. He wants to make friends but if it was me I would have told them to "F*** off!" :laugh: :smuggrin:

Even Sonia was doing it too! *cringe* :wtf:

How is it, in anyway rude?

As far as I'm aware, Daniel Radcliffe isn't a bad looking bloke at all, I mean, it's not like he's being called Ron Weasley.

And people are calling him a vampire because he also looks like Robert Pattinson (I don't see it), who is a pretty good looking bloke, and I'm straight.

So.... yeah..... how is it rude?

How is it, in anyway rude?

As far as I'm aware, Daniel Radcliffe isn't a bad looking bloke at all, I mean, it's not like he's being called Ron Weasley.

And people are calling him a vampire because he also looks like Robert Pattinson (I don't see it), who is a pretty good looking bloke, and I'm straight.

So.... yeah..... how is it rude?

It's rude because they have only just met Richard. Do you go up to people you just met and tell them they look like a vampire? No you wouldn't. It's rude.

Richard's face was pissed off yet they kept saying it.

The mean tone by Ryan and Lawson when saying "how long you've been a vampire?" and "how's Hogwarts?".

Ryan and Lawson wanted to look cool in front of the rest of the group by putting Richard down. Ryan and Lawson think they are the alpha males and don't want their authority broken by new blood.

Being called "Harry Potter" and a "Vampire" is a bit of an insult even if the actors Daniel Radcliffe and Robert Pattinsion are attractive. Looking like "Harry Potter" could be another way of saying you are a nerd/geek because of the glasses and wizardry. Plus I don't think Harry Potter is considered cool and an compliment. Maybe in 2001 but not anymore.

Being called a Vampire is offensive because Vampires are blood sucking creatures. Being called a Vampire can also be an insult because you are basically saying that the other person has pale skin and looks sick.

All that equals rude.

It's rude because they have only just met Richard. Do you go up to people you just met and tell them they look like a vampire? No you wouldn't. It's rude.

The mean tone by Ryan and Lawson when saying "how long you've been a vampire?" and "how's Hogwarts?".

Ryan and Lawson wanted to look cool in front of the rest of the group by putting Richard down. Ryan and Lawson think they are the alpha males and don't want their authority broken by new blood.

Being called "Harry Potter" and a "Vampire" is a bit of an insult even if the actors Daniel Radcliffe and Robert Pattinsion are attractive. Looking like "Harry Potter" could be another way of saying you are a nerd/geek because of the glasses and I don't think Harry Potter is considered cool and an compliment. Maybe in 2001 but not anymore.

Being called a Vampire is offensive because Vampires are blood sucking creatures. Being called a Vampire can also be an insult because you are basically saying that you have pale skin and look sick.

All that equals rude.
I did not sense a mean tone whatsoever. They were joking, stop reading into it.

Being called "Harry Potter" and a "Vampire" is a bit of an insult even if the actors Daniel Radcliffe and Robert Pattinsion are attractive. Looking like "Harry Potter" could be another way of saying you are a nerd/geek because of the glasses and I don't think Harry Potter is considered cool and an compliment. Maybe in 2001 but not anymore.

Being called a Vampire is offensive because Vampires are blood sucking creatures. Being called a Vampire can also be an insult because you are basically saying that you have pale skin and look sick.

All that equals rude.
Depends what setting.

In a casual setting, yeah, you'd probably remark if the bloke looked EXACTLY like Harry Potter. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, even if Richard does not like it (which I think is ridiculous if true).

And, clearly not a mean tone. A joking tone is what you mean.

They even mention it. Ryan goes, paraphrase, "I think Ryan didn't like us saying he looked like Harry Potter".... and then Ryan's reaction was he was sorry and that he was joking.

So.... clearly not said in the intention of being rude, and more of a joke, which is how I interpreted the situation.

And the last paragraph with the vampires being blood sucking creatures.... come on man. Are you trolling me right now?

I did not sense a mean tone whatsoever. They were joking, stop reading into it.

"It's only a joke" is an easy excuse. There was malice intent in there.

I'm not reading too much into it at all. Ryan is never short on giving insults. He just pretends it's a "joke". He hides been the humour.

Remember when he said to Penny over the fence? "You're voice is annoying". He truly meant that. Why would that idea had come from in his head the first place if he didn't think her voice was annoying. He said that to be funny in front of the rest of the housemates. He meant it though.

Lawson and Ryan believe they own that house. They want to put the four new intruders in their place.

And, clearly not a mean tone. A joking tone is what you mean.

No I don't. :confused: Please don't tell me and claim what I "really" mean. That is dismissive of my opinion. It wasn't a joking tone. It was a mean/taking the piss tone. At least that is the way I heard it.

And the last paragraph with the vampires being blood sucking creatures.... come on man. Are you trolling me right now?

Nope :unsure:. You seem to like arguing with me around this place. I was only replying to your post with my best reasons why I personally thought these comments were rude.

Calling someone a vampire could mean you are saying they have pale skin. It's one of the characteristics you see of Vampires in movies and TV shows. The Robert Pattinson character in " Twilight" is pale when a vampire.

Also guess what Vampires are known for? Sucking blood. Calling someone a vampire could mean that someone is draining energy out of people. They suck the life force out of people.

I agree Ryan is never short on insults, but I don't think this is the case at all, because their is no insult whatsoever.

What he said to Penny, yeah, it was funny and it was a joke, but I can see your point if you were to say there was a bit of malice there. Although, it was pretty funny.

As for me arguing with you.... I dunno. I argue with a lot of people around here. Particularly on topics I completely disagree on.

But ultimately, it's how you view things.

When I saw the footage, there was no inkling in my mind that it was rude. I still, cannot imagine how it could even be interpreted as rude.

And that's because, saying you LOOK like Harry Potter, is not rude. Harry Potter is only seen as a nerd/geek because he's wearing glasses. But Richard ain't wearing glasses, so no go there.

As for the vampire.... like I said, he's only called that because he looks like Robert Pattinson, not because of pale skin!

it's not like he's being called Ron Weasley

Which would actually be an even bigger compliment. Man oh man, those arms. :sneaky:

Anyway, I think the only problem I have with it is Sonia mentions it, because she's always just a few steps behind, and it's awkward. I mean, the repetitiveness of the "joke" inside the house is a bit lame, but I find joke repetition generally annoying anyway. They've obviously given him a nickname, and he doesn't seem to be taking offence (and if he is offended, he should bloody well speak up!) so yeah, I don't see the problem.

And for the record, I would love to be compared to a vampire. Huge compliment imo! :thumbsup:

Which would actually be an even bigger compliment. Man oh man, those arms. :sneaky:

Anyway, I think the only problem I have with it is Sonia mentions it, because she's always just a few steps behind, and it's awkward. I mean, the repetitiveness of the "joke" inside the house is a bit lame, but I find joke repetition generally annoying anyway. They've obviously given him a nickname, and he doesn't seem to be taking offence (and if he is offended, he should bloody well speak up!) so yeah, I don't see the problem.

And for the record, I would love to be compared to a vampire. Huge compliment imo! :thumbsup:
Nah. Werewolf. Team Jacob

You must be soft as butter to be offended by the terms. I'm sure some people are called a lot worse.

Yep I am "soft". I guess I was raised to treat people how I want to be treated and raised with the knowledge of what is polite in conversations and when meeting people for the first time.

It would have been a lot different if a friendship was established before Ryan started constantly to make these comments. First night in is rude and I have met a lot of people who use others to make themselves feel better and establish themselves in a group.

I haven't read all of this because too many words but yes, it's bullying, stop it rn.

Also, what've you got against pale people, @Lucas? It's not really... an insult. It's just a fact, ain't it?

I don't believe I said I did?

Some people are not comfortable in their own skin. Some people happen to have pale skin. Any little bit of difference is a target to be picked on. "Vampire" would be one of the insults given to people with pale skin. Some people might think being called a "Vampire" is cool and are happy to be called one but there are people who wouldn't and be upset that they are being picked on for something they can't help. It is the same thing ginger haired people have to deal with being called names. Why is this acceptable? "its only a joke" you say? Well it's not for the people who are being insulted.

Live by these words: treat people how you would like to be treated.

Everyone needs to be more considerate to each other and put yourself in other people's shoes. How would you feel if someone called you a vampire? A complete stranger. Not one of your friends having a muck around.

To me it came across as if the comparison to the two actors was not a positive but a negative. It was meant as a put down not a compliment by my standards.

He was compared to two hyped and rather well-liked celebrities (at least, among the girls). Vampires are oddly seen as sex symbols. And, Harry Potter is friggin' Harry Potter - who isn't into that shit?

He should be very flattered. I don't see how it's rude. :confused:

I've been compared to Shia LaBeouf. That guy is the biggest douche on the planet and yet, I don't even get offended. :p

He was compared to two hyped and rather well-liked celebrities (at least, among the girls). Vampires are oddly seen as sex symbols. And, Harry Potter is friggin' Harry Potter - who isn't into that shit?

He should be very flattered. I don't see how it's rude. :confused:

I've been compared to Shia LaBeouf. That guy is the biggest douche on the planet and yet, I don't even get offended. :p
YOU ARE NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE

Back