Skip to main content

The Death of Queen Elizabeth II & Ascension of King Charles III

I hadn’t read the whole conversation to the end so I’m essentially repeating what others have said. It’s fascinating seeing the differences across the world.

On another note, though it’s a sad period for the UK, I’ve enjoyed the pomp of it. The tradition and all. Every small detail has a reason.

Thanks for the clarification. At least I can make sense of how they implemented it, but still it’s rather random. Many will just use it for a day off
It's just ridiculous that we have to wait for Albo to be back in the country. Heaven knows what difference that will make. None, as far as I'm concerned. Public holidays can go on without a prime minister being here.
Most people who'll want to watch the funeral will be up half the night and then still have to function the next day. It's really quite silly.
I'm still going to work on that day as it's too hard basket trying to rebook people when It won't make any difference to me.

I hadn’t read the whole conversation to the end so I’m essentially repeating what others have said. It’s fascinating seeing the differences across the world.

On another note, though it’s a sad period for the UK, I’ve enjoyed the pomp of it. The tradition and all. Every small detail has a reason.
Me too.
One bit that made me laugh was the Queens/Kings Guards, dropping to a knee, laying down their guns, removing their Busby's and then getting up and cheering, shouting God Save The King. It was hilarious (could have been a couple of glasses of wine at that time that made it more funnier!)

It's just ridiculous that we have to wait for Albo to be back in the country. Heaven knows what difference that will make. None, as far as I'm concerned. Public holidays can go on without a prime minister being here.
Most people who'll want to watch the funeral will be up half the night and then still have to function the next day. It's really quite silly.

Albo said "It is a part of the protocol that‘s been in place for a long period of time that the national memorial service would be held the day after the Governor-General and myself returned from London." So that implies it was the same in 1952 when George VI died.

Enough with the silly traditions, really.

Even better for Victorians...we get a four day weekend! 22nd National Day of Mourning and 23rd Friday before the AFL Grand Final...SO ridiculous!

Min 28 days per year including bank Holidays, so usually 4 weeks + Bank Hols. However for most additional bank holidays come out of your holiday allowance - already been an extra one for the Jubilee and now one for the funeral too.

Center Parcs here got themselves into alot of unnecessary trouble for instructing people on holiday with them they'd have to check out for 24 hours. An inevitable U-turn followed, but been a PR disaster.

Back to the sombre events and will be a real call back to Diana's funeral today with Charles, William and Harry following the coffin in the procession to Westminster Hall.

Coffin Cam is the closest thing we've had to a BBUK live feed here for years. It's actually quite addictive - nothing to do with the Queen but watching the behaviour of people is quite fascinating.

In total it’s 10 days vacation plus an additional 10 for statutory holidays. My employer is the federal government so of course it’s only federal holidays that are observed.

The last thing that I have to say about Canadians is that we’re often proud of the fact that we’re not Americans but when it comes to the way we think about Employment we’re really only marginally better. Especially when it comes to work/life balance, rights, entitlements, unions etc. We’re basically expected to surrender to the employers will and be thankful for even being given a job in the first place. Time off is very much treated like a privilege rather than a right.

Min 28 days per year including bank Holidays, so usually 4 weeks + Bank Hols. However for most additional bank holidays come out of your holiday allowance - already been an extra one for the Jubilee and now one for the funeral too.

Center Parcs here got themselves into alot of unnecessary trouble for instructing people on holiday with them they'd have to check out for 24 hours. An inevitable U-turn followed, but been a PR disaster.

Back to the sombre events and will be a real call back to Diana's funeral today with Charles, William and Harry following the coffin in the procession to Westminster Hall.
The echo of Princes Harry & William behind Diana's casket (those flowers & Mummy) 25 years ago, made today even more moving.

Me too.
One bit that made me laugh was the Queens/Kings Guards, dropping to a knee, laying down their guns, removing their Busby's and then getting up and cheering, shouting God Save The King. It was hilarious (could have been a couple of glasses of wine at that time that made it more funnier!)
I saw one clip where a child gets backhanded as the guard salutes. Poor child but I still laughed.

The poor guard that fell/fainted today, really have to feel for him.

It’s impossible to know if half these stories coming out are true, exaggerated, or told to cause public reactions. I will defend the Charles ink pen thing though. I did find his reaction a little funny but also I mean already moving forward with the changes, trying to grieve with cameras in your face, acting professional to show leadership, I know I’ve taken it out on a “pen” to let out my frustrations too.

It’s impossible to know if half these stories coming out are true, exaggerated, or told to cause public reactions. I will defend the Charles ink pen thing though. I did find his reaction a little funny but also I mean already moving forward with the changes, trying to grieve with cameras in your face, acting professional to show leadership, I know I’ve taken it out on a “pen” to let out my frustrations too.

I completely understand it. It would be incredibly stressful. Doesn't matter who you are. You get to a point where even a little thing can make you lose it. I think anyone who has grieved for a loved one could probably relate.

Bad tattoo
1_SWNS_QUEEN_TATTOO_002.jpg

We’re basically expected to surrender to the employers will and be thankful for even being given a job in the first place. Time off is very much treated like a privilege rather than a right.
Well that cancels out "Decent version of Big Brother" on my Emigrating to Canada Pros and Cons list then.

Well that cancels out "Decent version of Big Brother" on my Emigrating to Canada Pros and Cons list then.
Also add that Canadian politics is getting equally as divisive and hateful as it is in the states. The Conservative Party of Canada just elected what some would call the Canadian Trump as their leader. I’d say given how hated our current PM is in many parts of Canada he’s got a pretty good chance of winning in the next election.

It wasn’t very long ago that I was ripping down posters in my neighbourhood from a Canadian Q-Anon style group claiming our government was illegitimate and harboured pedophiles/child traffickers.

Someone I went to high school with was arrested a few years ago for sending threats to our our PM and former Premier over Twitter.

Not to mention the growing alt-right separatist groups in Western Canada and the Freedumbies that occupied our capital in an attempt to overthrow the federal government.

Last edited:
Back