Skip to main content

The day after thoughts.

Did YOU enjoy the 2020 season of Big Brother Australia?

• Yes, This BB was amazing!

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No, This BB was awful!

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Maybe, This BB was mixed!

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters
I loved the voice, it gave very orwellian vibes. However I didn't love the character it took on. From what I gain from the novel, big brother is meant to be a torturous, evil figure who likes messing with the housemates minds.
I hate the voice. I think they should go for this guy to do it:

Im not sure why the shows need to move fast ? I really dont get peoples mindset these days. Yet Home and away is on most of the year since 1988 and it's still going strong. BB can go 3 months easily.
Well @Macca mentioned boredom. ...and there you have it. Ever noticed how those who get easily bored have no patience? Instant gratification comes to mind. How many people still read books? It's all about short SM messages and scoops those platforms provide.

I can see it now.

“I disagree with your view on gay marriage.” DUUUNNNN. Close-up. DUUUNNNN. Reaction shot. DUUUNNNN. Another close-up. DUUUNNNN. Cut to a Diary Room clip that has no relevance. DUUUNNNN. Shot of a housemate crying from another time of day. DUUUNNNN. Opera music.

I think a situation like this would be less likely if they cast opinionated housemates who could have discussions that are organically interesting.

Though the point should also be made that intruders or late arrivals, as I suppose that bunch is referred to, should be granted immunity in the next challenge. Otherwise it’s really unfair on them and they are just easy scapegoats.

yeah well if you look at Hannah's arrival for example some wanted her out even before she got out of the cage.

Next season one of the housemates should be a robot with the twist being that the housemate is not a robot.

As others have mentioned, pretty much all major reality franchises in the current climate already run for 3+ months. This has never changed.

If the shooting schedule for next season is anything to go by, next year’s BB will be a 3 month run. This is potentially a good thing for this new format.

If im not mistaken, the next series goes to air very early in the new year? Makes me think there will be another series later in 2021 pending ratings success

If im not mistaken, the next series goes to air very early in the new year? Makes me think there will be another series later in 2021 pending ratings success

Not sure about that with the news that 7 has picked up Ultimate Tag for next year most likely to contend against Ninja Warrior on Nine.

r next season is anything to go by, next year’s BB will be a 3 month run. This is potentially a good thing for this new format.
Being available for filming for "10-12 weeks" doesn't mean filming will be 10-12 weeks - indeed in normal circumstances you'd expect a few days sequester for pre-production requirements even in a pre-recorded situation, and the same afterwards. You can now add two weeks quarantine to that too.

I doubt filming will be much longer than 8 weeks in reality, which is probably what they planned originally for this series anyway. They seemed to have a cycle of 3 evictions a week - guess the crew got Sundays off. Sadly I don't think much will change.

How are you going to have a veto when there are like 6 housemates remaining though?
They do it down to the final 4 in the US. Basically becomes a second immunity.

Next season one of the housemates should be a robot with the twist being that the housemate is not a robot.
BBUSA have already done that.

And as others have said most the big Aussie reality shows air for around 3 months with far fewer week to week changes than Big Brother has, so the notion that the public couldn't put up with it that long is rubbish. The problem isn't so much how long it runs for, it is the show being pre-recorded. If it ran for 8 weeks live that would probably work just as well, and probably feel longer if they evicted once a week rather than once an episode.

Last edited:
It says 10-12 weeks shooting in the house, so we will have to wait and see:

If you are selected to be a contestant on the show you will need to commit to 10-12 consecutive weeks of filming in the Big Brother house during the period on or around October/December 2020.

yeah well if you look at Hannah's arrival for example some wanted her out even before she got out of the cage.
"Some" was actually only one: Sarah. When She foulmouthed Hannah rather hysterically, the seeds of 'she is big and bad and I am small and helpless' were sown.
...and we just suck it up and from there on Hannah didn't stand a chance. She was aware of her stigma.... somebody must have blabbed... so understandably she laid low for a while, which in turn branded her as 'boring' and she became canon fodder.

Though the point should also be made that intruders or late arrivals, as I suppose that bunch is referred to, should be granted immunity in the next challenge. Otherwise it’s really unfair on them and they are just easy scapegoats.
They should be immune from being evicted for two cycles, give them a chance to settle. Of course they wouldn't be allowed to vote for that period.

"Some" was actually only one: Sarah. When She foulmouthed Hannah rather hysterically, the seeds of 'she is big and bad and I am small and helpless' were sown.
...and we just suck it up and from there on Hannah didn't stand a chance. She was aware of her stigma.... somebody must have blabbed... so understandably she laid low for a while, which in turn branded her as 'boring' and she became canon fodder.

Thats true, i think Talia reacted to what sarah said about hannah in the audtions. Mind you im thinking things would of been different had of Sarah not mentioned anything about the audition, and if Hannah had of not referred to Talia as a "stripper" when she was guessing what career Talia did. This may have been bought up in the episode thread but haven't scrolled back to have a read, Talia does claim when she has been interviewed that shes good friends with Hannah after what occured, however Hannah claims what we saw actually happened and she was made to feel unwelcome, so who knows how much editing played a part in that scene.

Personally the things I liked this season were positive things that happened to housemates because I'm not one of those people who derive joy from other people's misfortune.

I can’t say I found a lot of joy this season. Prerecorded nature more often than not leads to spoilers from someone and if you are being a bit of a superfan, it’s often easy to get a vibe off some of the exit interviews and get an idea about what’s coming up.

Challenges were too survivor esque and bringing Amelia in, no doubt set the tone for the challenges. While they were not nearly as rough or tough as Australian Survivor challenges, they were very endurance oriented, which ultimately was not all that fair and the outcome is predictable.

The format also leads to being at a strategic disadvantage in a lot of situations when winning a challenge (you might have to draw the dividing lime, don’t want to hurt feelings in a majority alliance etc). The same issue exists in Survivor, however Survivor I feel is more refined when it comes to that; it just sucks to see so many Survivor pitfalls entering the game of Big Brother. I don’t see any way out of this big issue other than to change the format of what winning a challenge entitles a player to.

Some of the producer generated content was just awful, and all we get from it is production inspired clowning about. I would prefer to see housemates get bored and try to deal with boredom than a scene with them going into a diary room one by one to discover who stole the furniture (while being watched by everyone in the living room!). For what purpose was all that. It was actually quite irritating tbh and had I known I would have skipped some of that entirely.

Overall I would grade this season 3/10.

Some of the producer generated content was just awful, and all we get from it is production inspired clowning about. I would prefer to see housemates get bored and try to deal with boredom than a scene with them going into a diary room one by one to discover who stole the furniture (while being watched by everyone in the living room!). For what purpose was all that. It was actually quite irritating tbh and had I known I would have skipped some of that entirely.

Overall I would grade this season 3/10.
...because it is when they get bored that conflicts arise. In this current format, there are no real conflicts. I would also like to see less luxury rations and freebies. The HMs know the rules - "Do the crime, do the time" should be applied.

Back