Skip to main content

The day after thoughts.

Did YOU enjoy the 2020 season of Big Brother Australia?

• Yes, This BB was amazing!

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • No, This BB was awful!

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • Maybe, This BB was mixed!

Votes: 37 50.7%

• Total voters
Has anyone here considered that the reason why Sonia was not the best host in the past seasons is because channel 9 are a centre left wing media outlet and the producers were scared shitless that if we give her free reign she may say something offensive towards minority groups. However the current broadcaster of Big Brother channel 7 is owned by rupert murdoch so the producers there might be less concerned about Sonia going off script and offending the minority groups in the process hence allowing her more hosting independance?
So you're saying Sonia was a bad host because she wasn't allowed to be racist? One of the most stupid comments I've ever seen here.

So you're saying Sonia was a bad host because she wasn't allowed to be racist? One of the most stupid comments I've ever seen here.

I think what Gayspie was trying to say is that Nine was much more controlling and told her not to go off script.

Has anyone here considered that the reason why Sonia was not the best host in the past seasons is because channel 9 are a centre left wing media outlet and the producers were scared shitless that if we give her free reign she may say something offensive towards minority groups. However the current broadcaster of Big Brother channel 7 is owned by rupert murdoch so the producers there might be less concerned about Sonia going off script and offending the minority groups in the process hence allowing her more hosting independance?

Response to this post in emojis: 🙄😳😒

I think you're trolling. But if you're not, several points:
  • 7 is not owned by Murdoch. It's like the only major media company in Australia without Murdoch influence. (7 has minor contracts with Foxtel, which is Murdoch).
  • 9 is pretty right wing, I mean they did use their headquarters for a Liberal party fundraiser recently*
  • Sonia may be a dumb ass racist, but she's smart enough to know you don't just mouth off about that on a pre-recorded show. You save that for breakfast TV. (Oh I'm sorry, by technicality she's not a racist but she's a certified xenophobe).
* For overseas people reading this, Australia is dumb and weird, in our country, Liberal with an uppercase L means right wing, and liberal with lowercase l means left wing.

I think what Gayspie was trying to say is that Nine was much more controlling and told her not to go off script.

I agree with this.

As much as I think Sonia Kruger is fucking human garbage. Her interviewing was much more useful and genuine in this season, compared to Channel 9 days. As a professional host, she did an ok (C+) job at the finale - ignoring all the glancing at the producers just off-camera.

I feel a bit sad about it. I was excited for it to come back but I just couldn't bring myself to like it. It removed all the things I really enjoy about the show. The rawness of true reality TV, the unpredictability, the audience having an influence and feeling like a real fly on the wall. It was so heavily edited that I heard the same phrases used over and over to the point where it was a bit insulting. Things like being 61, being from broken Hill, your dad was a fan of the show, you are the queen, all these catch phrases over and over. It's not real housewives, it's meant to be a slice of life. It's not only drama, big brother is the day to day life of people in a pressure cooker. They lost all of that in this season. I've come away deciding that I can't do another season like this. If you liked it, that's fine. But I guess I enjoyed watching BB for reasons that aren't really a priority in this new format. I'll just have to accept that and move on.

Channel 9 and Fairfax are linked they are both centre left media outlets (news papers and TV station).
Fairfax used to be left leaning before Nine took them over. But Nine is chaired by Peter Costello, which pretty much tells you all you need to know.

What I liked:
-Angela
-Inclusion of shopping tasks
-Using a Big Brother voice

What I didn't like:
-39 day season is way too short. The most fun part of a Big Brother season is the midway point in my opinion, so around Weeks 5-8 are always the height of narratives and when character arcs start to shift to unpredictable new eras.
-The fast paced format sucks. Losing a housemate every 2nd or 3rd day doesn't leave them time to breath and like others have said it keeps them in game mode the entire time.
-Big Brother's voice needs to be meaner, scarier and more like an authority figure. What happened to BB being their all seeing leader who tells them what to do and when they have to do it.
-Whilst we still got shopping tasks they really were of poor standard. I miss when the tasks actually had to get the housemates to work together as a team, or when they would sit and get to know each other during the tasks to pass time.
-I may be of the minority for this but I prefer the use of two way mirrors as opposed to cameras sticking out through black drapes. You could literally see Camera men's hands in shots. A fun old school Big Brother gag was seeing the housemates looking into the mirrors wondering if theres a camera behind (small I know but its something that was fun that also allowed indirect breaking of the 4th wall).
-The editing of the season was appalling. I don't think we need to go on anymore about how unbalanced it was because the edit just speaks for itself. But there was so much cutting and pasting of sentences that didn't even sound like they were said together, housemates mouths not moving when they were "speaking" and there were also numerous time were a housemate would be speaking in the diary room wearing different clothes to what they were on that day. It's not a massive deal but it says to me they're using confessionals said on one day and using them for another day's edit, much like in Survivor how sometimes a contestants post-merge confessional is actually shown in the pre-merge.
-Pre-Recording is just a crap idea for Big Brother, do I even need to go elaborate on it.
-I thought the house was pretty crap and cheap. It literally did look like an Ikea set as others have said. There was really no fun colour in there. It just didn't feel like a Big Brother house, they need a more permanent location.
-The cast itself looked good on paper, and probably would have been good had it been edited properly or had it been the original format. However, there was no one I really felt attached to, nor was there anyone I genuinely wanted to really root for to win. We didn't know anything about them apart from one dimensional story lines like Angela and her tea, Dan and his girlfriend or Mat and Brocken hill. I have no idea what half of these people even did for work.

Overall I for one am really disappointed in the series despite how much it was hyped. I was enjoying it for about 3 episodes and then it just never recovered from what ever it was that specifically put me off. Although I went into this open to change, I just simply don't want new, I want old BB.

Certainly was fast paced, i didn't like it at first, but grew to love it towards the end. I'm curious though, the early evictees like soobong and the 1st evictee (laura i think it was ) did they only literally spend 1 night in the house or were they in the close to a week? I feel the housemates should at least be given 2 weeks to experience the occasion like the old format.

Certainly was fast paced, i didn't like it at first, but grew to love it towards the end. I'm curious though, the early evictees like soobong and the 1st evictee (laura i think it was ) did they only literally spend 1 night in the house or were they in the close to a week? I feel the housemates should at least be given 2 weeks to experience the occasion like the old format.

Evictions happened every 2-3 days.

To preface, I stopped watching after Angela was evicted. There was no point after that.

I disagree about a shorter show being better. The best part of Big Brother is the pressur cooker environment, which really only starts from the halfway mark. It's supposed to be three months, they did 1.5 months. That's a holiday, not an experiment.

-The house was an Ikea sample. Literally you couldn't see the bathroom it was so half done
- Not being live is an absolute no-no
- Audience should vote them out. If they vote each other out they don't need to perform for camera as much. As we saw this season they were boring as hell. When contestants are aware the audience votes for them, they play it up more. Thus, more entertaining.
- We need more lively characters. Right wingers, SJWs,strippers, circus performers.
- 5 nights a week needs to come back
- Two people a week vote out MAXIMUM. Having evictions every second day keeps contestants in a high alert gameplay mode, rather than social interaction mode. Which results in, as we saw, boring as hell footage.
- Sonia needs to go. She is reading lines. We need a House Mother type approach like Gretel used to be. Engaging, motherly to the housemates.
- 7Plus live feeds
- Big Brother voice needs to go back to being more sinister and foreboding. And needs to stop overly engaging with housemates. He's supposed to be an ominous prescence, not a friend.
- Bring Angela back as an intruder to help with ratings

Aaaaaand that's all I got. Overall a TERRIBLE season of big brother. 2/10. 2 for ANgela.

Couldn’t disagree more with a lot of this. 3 months is way too long. Especially in the current climate tv shows need to move FAST or people get bored and ratings will plummet.
The house looked great on tv and big brothers voice was great.

Couldn’t disagree more with a lot of this. 3 months is way too long. Especially in the current climate tv shows need to move FAST or people get bored and ratings will plummet.
The house looked great on tv and big brothers voice was great.

Not true at all. MAFS and Masterchef go for 3 months and they are in the top 3 most watched shows this year. And I would have to disagree on the BB voice as well, he felt more like the housemates friend rather than a foreboding figure.

Two issues with that. First, even 99% of Gretel's dialogue was scripted. They rehearse and edit to make sure they hit their time marks and ensure it doesn't sound too canned, and even then, there's a producer in your ear. Second, Sonia can't even make scripted dialogue work. She's a poor presenter. Her cadence is stilted. She reads off autocue like a six year old doing a book presentation. There's no conviction. There's nothing casual or conversational about her and I'm yet to see any natural interviewing talent.

Sonia's purpose is nothing but to provide a face for the franchise.

Easily a pretty good season. I'm so glad the show has switched from the "social experiment" format to the US/BBCAN format. Nine was proof that the social experiment era of BB is dead and this new format can work with tweaks. The show should 100% be live and NOT pre-recorded. Sonia is fine for me as host, regardless if she's reading lines or not.

As far as the show goes, I do love this BB voice. However, him talking during the challenges is not needed. Evictions should be once or twice a week, especially since next season is supposed to be 12-13 weeks filming time. The challenges are 1000% better than anything BBUS has done in years! The housemates were bland as hell and next season I would expect the cast to be much better and play the game.

As others have mentioned, pretty much all major reality franchises in the current climate already run for 3+ months. This has never changed.

If the shooting schedule for next season is anything to go by, next year’s BB will be a 3 month run. This is potentially a good thing for this new format.

Two issues with that. First, even 99% of Gretel's dialogue was scripted. They rehearse and edit to make sure they hit their time marks and ensure it doesn't sound too canned, and even then, there's a producer in your ear. Second, Sonia can't even make scripted dialogue work. She's a poor presenter. Her cadence is stilted. She reads off autocue like a six year old doing a book presentation. There's no conviction. There's nothing casual or conversational about her and I'm yet to see any natural interviewing talent.

Sonia's purpose is nothing but to provide a face for the franchise.

Although Gretel was also scripted, she came off much more natural and could ad lib brilliantly when required. There were also many situations that happened during the years that I dont think many TV presenters could handle as well as she did.

Although Gretel was also scripted, she came off much more natural and could ad lib brilliantly when required. There were also many situations that happened during the years that I dont think many TV presenters could handle as well as she did.

Richard Morecroft could!

and I think for the next series more people who will actually play the game should be cast, not people who don't play and float through.
Contestant selection has always been a problem for those ninnies. They probably follow some formula that requires five beef cakes, three underprivileged, a bunch of pretentious wannabes and one or two punching bags.
Those with intelligence need not apply.

Back