Skip to main content

the book 1984

There was a show I thought that did take elements out of 1984, called 'Solitary'...I didn't actually watch much of it but it was a last man standing sort of thing.

Well, the show doesn't even follow your watered down appreciation of book. Where is the ideology? Where is the indoctrination? Where is the herd mindset?

Look around this forum, plenty of sheep here, many viewers swallow the narrative hook line and sinker.

Look around this forum, plenty of sheep here, many viewers swallow the narrative hook line and sinker.

Yes, but it does need a show based on 1984 to demonstrate the sheep effect. In any case those "sheep" are exercising free will. They can, at any time, stop swallowing.

The point of the book was that the characters were encouraged to accept the ideology, but if they did not then terror was employed.

Solitary was more of a test of individual endurance of both mind where as 1984 and Big Brother deal with totalitarianism, authority and society as a whole...

VAL was never an authority figure and contestants were never forced to partake in any of the tests or treatments...

Solitary was more of a test of individual endurance of both mind where as 1984 and Big Brother deal with totalitarianism, authority and society as a whole...

VAL was never an authority figure and contestants were never forced to partake in any of the tests or treatments...
I don't think Big Brother is much like 1984 either.
The only thing is that it's 24/hr cameras and while there are repercussions for freedom of speech they aren't really that harsh, if anything the housemates call BB's bluff.
I refered to Solitary because of the isolation in the rooms and the daily things done to kill spirit etc.

My late son, Josef Stalin, of whom I am very proud, would have made an excellent producer of BB. :)

I must read it again, can't really remember details - have you read Brave New World? that one freaked me out more, everyone is just drugged and controlled with pleasure, sort of.

I don't think Big Brother is much like 1984 either.
The only thing is that it's 24/hr cameras and while there are repercussions for freedom of speech they aren't really that harsh, if anything the housemates call BB's bluff.
I refered to Solitary because of the isolation in the rooms and the daily things done to kill spirit etc.

Solitary's task might have broken down the spirit a bit but they were always built back up again... I still stand by the fact that Solitary had nothing to do with 1984... Absolutely nothing...

Solitary's task might have broken down the spirit a bit but they were always built back up again... I still stand by the fact that Solitary had nothing to do with 1984... Absolutely nothing...
Yeah I think you said that earlier.
I explained why I said there are 'elements'.

But there really aren't...

That applies to BB as well. The only connection that the show has to the book is the name "Big Brother". Presumably the creators are using this name to imply a link that does not otherwise exist.

That applies to BB as well. The only connection that the show has to the book is the name "Big Brother". Presumably the creators are using this name to imply a link that does not otherwise exist.

I agree however I'd have to say BB at least has a few elements of 1984 within the format... While Solitary is a completely different show and is in no way relatable to the book... [MENTION=11846]Sorceress[/MENTION] can't seem to get that through her thick skull...

I agree however I'd have to say BB at least has a few elements of 1984 within the format... While Solitary is a completely different show and is in no way relatable to the book... [MENTION=11846]Sorceress[/MENTION] can't seem to get that through her thick skull...
So basically you're saying what I am but with bb, right.

So basically you're saying what I am but with bb, right.

I'm saying that BB at least has a few elements of 1984 within the concept...

It focuses on a small group of people that are meant to represent their own society... BB is an authority figure within the walls of the house... HM's behaviors are monitored 24/7... The BB house is a totalitarian state of sorts... The is an element of psychological manipulation... BB exhibits physical control over the HM's in that they cannot leave the house without BB permission and they must participate in tasks...

I really don't want to end up ranting but I can think of several other themes that are present in BB... Solitary is very much an individual focus...

Well, to tell you the truth, I think a better basis for BB would be a book about voyeurism. I don't have one in mind though.

Or the entertainment pages of your newspaper - which star is hot and which is not.

Back