Skip to main content

The Block

I couldn’t care less about the decades. Although I’m also not even remotely anything close to a buyer of something in these price ranges hahaha.
Agree they all did well in their own right. I was really hoping Tash and her dad won this week, but the QLDers did present a stunning room.

Fair enough that you don't care about the periods but I do haha. I would hate to buy a period house and find it devoid of the features that made it essentially what it was. That's not to say that I want them to be a complete replica of the originals but just include the foundations of the periods and what they represented. The old restoration versus renovation thing. No one wants to truly transport themselves entirely back to those periods...we couldn't and wouldn't want to live that way now.

I thought Tash and her Dad did really well. I didn't like the wallpaper the QLDers applied...but I don't like palm tree wallpaper at anytime. The rest of their room was lovely.

The right team won I believe - very nice room.

Personally, I just don't get the whole decade thing. Is it a Melbourne thing that people want those period style homes, etc? Granted, I'm not in their target demographic as I don't have a spare $3.5M lying around.

That Perth couple will be trouble though, her blatant refusal to follow the brief won't sit well with Shayna.

I don't know if it's a Melbourne thing or not but I live in rural Vic and period houses here are treated the same way. The front and original part of the house (which are normally bedrooms) is restored with fixtures and fittings relevant to the period but dressed in a more contemporary way and then a modern extension is added which usually comprises a kitchen and living area etc. It is generally frowned upon to disregard period features because what did you buy the house for in the first place? There are plenty of modern builds out there to choose from if that is your preferred thing.

And I think QLDers do a similar thing with their old Queenslanders? They remove the pokey rooms and add-ons but retain the VJ panelling and appropriate fret work?

And yes, the Perth couple are going to be in BIG trouble if they don't follow the brief. Perhaps it's a WA thing? I remember Ronnie and Georgia having the same attitude and look at how that ended for them...one of the few houses in Block history to be passed in and sold privately after auction.

Fair points. And I guess they really should care more about the decade thing because obviously it’s gonna be the thing every week the judges pick at. The extra cash is worth pandering to them for. It’s not as if they have to live in the house haha.

Fair points. And I guess they really should care more about the decade thing because obviously it’s gonna be the thing every week the judges pick at. The extra cash is worth pandering to them for. It’s not as if they have to live in the house haha.
I haven't watched since Ep2. I wouldn't want to make any of the houses a timepiece/museum, but you just need to choose the right 'nods' to your house's era. My place I built here was effectively a new build, but I gave it touches of 1950s/60s French colonialism with cement tiled flooring and steel balustrades, in keeping with the neighbouring buildings.

Good to see Keith eat a bit of humble pie tonight and admit fault in not tarping the houses. Feel especially sorry for the farmers tonight, glad they got to go back for the funeral. A few weeks later and it would have been a very different story.
You just know that half the crap that Keith goes around and makes drama is all for the cameras. Dan seems to be able to do a similar job and be less unlikeable. Haha.

I just don't understand WHY they don't roof the bloody houses properly BEFORE they start on internal renovations? Or at least provide adequate tarps instead. Isn't that the logical thing to do? It happens so often on The Block and because it's in Melbourne where it can rain cats and dogs at the drop of a hat you'd think they would have worked that out by now.

I feel so sorry for the farmers too but not just because of the granddad's passing. It's the struggle they have on the land (like so many) with the added stress of a child with a rare disease.

Yeah...Keith's bark is worse than his bite. "They" have to show that someone is looking after quality control and OHS.

The farmer couple for the win! They remind me alot of Deb & Andy from last year - down to earth & humble. I also like the QLD couple with the palm tree wallpaper (I will remember their names eventually).

The 1910's couple aren't going to cut it - she's too set on doing her own thing. She'll be blasted at judging, sook in her confessional, then ignore the feedback and do the same thing next week.

I do like how they only give them a weeks worth of cash at a time. Channel 9 obviously realised they can't keep creating stupid challenges and awards to hand out money to idiots that can't budget (The Maccas hardworking, prettiest, super saver, best driver award & $10,000 cash goes to..)

I wouldn't want to make any of the houses a timepiece/museum, but you just need to choose the right 'nods' to your house's era.

Just watched the reveals and that was the first thing Neil said!

The 1910's couple aren't going to cut it - she's too set on doing her own thing
I lived in a house built in 1911 in Auckland. It had beautiful pressed steel ceilings, art nouveau details like stained glass in the front door in one of those designs that look like a representation of the female reproductive system, a wooden 'arch' feature in the hall, and in my bedroom there was a corner gas fireplace with plaster detailing of ivy leaves etc. When I went to paint it, there was something that had fallen behind it, which turned out to be a small 1911 calendar advertising (presumably) the agent who originally sold the house. Would have been really lovely in its day but it had been butchered into three small flats during the depression.

Not sure if the power to appoint the auction order is a good thing? They always place a lot of emphasis on it but other than the first house auctioned setting the tone for the remainder...I'm not sure that it matters? I'm looking at it purely from a personal point of view. If I liked a particular house I'd go after it no matter where it was in the auction order. But I'm no Estate Agent or investment buyer.

Not sure if the power to appoint the auction order is a good thing? They always place a lot of emphasis on it but other than the first house auctioned setting the tone for the remainder...I'm not sure that it matters? I'm looking at it purely from a personal point of view. If I liked a particular house I'd go after it no matter where it was in the auction order. But I'm no Estate Agent or investment buyer.
I wonder if the order has had much of an impact on results. There’s a guy on reddit who is putting together a graph to show whether the judges points have any correlation to results.

I wonder if the order has had much of an impact on results. There’s a guy on reddit who is putting together a graph to show whether the judges points have any correlation to results.
Would be interesting to see that and also auction order V profit to see the correlation, if there's really any.

Jimmy and Tash certainly know their era. Lovely bathroom for the period.

I must say that period bathrooms are far more difficult to balance between the essence of the time and the modern practicality though. Still no excuse for mixing periods...if in doubt just Google and take your cues from there.

However, I do like most of the contestants this year and I'm glad that no animosity between them has surfaced so far.

Can we please take a moment to talk about the cringe dance routine from the judges each room reveal ep?
Surely I'm not alone in thinking 'what the actual fuck?'.

Back