Skip to main content

The Block

Anyone watching this year?
I haven’t watched for a few years. But I went and saw the houses when I was in Melb early March.

I feel like they’ve done a great job helping us to get to know the couples in this first ep.
I’m really liking Sarah and George, they are funny. Also think I like Farmer Daniel and Greek daughter Tash.

My prediction is that WA’s Luke and Jasmine will be the most fiery!

I'm watching! I LOVE The Block and have only missed a few seasons due to my cantankerous husband's refusal to watch it a few years ago. But now we have reached a detente with regard to tv viewing. He watches sport and news and I watch what I please. Happy wife, happy life...and happy husband!

I might watch this but I'd prefer it if they overdubbed Scott Scam's voice with a voice-over actor.

Yes, a lot of people don't like Scotty for a variety of reasons. I'm not a huge fan but I don't hate him either. Although, he annoys me when he tries to make out that he's the actual "boss" on The Block when we all know that's just bullshit in the extreme.

I stopped watching several years ago, mostly due to Scott Cam.
Another factor was that it no longer seemed like it was about ordinary people - you had them building multi-million dollar apartments which were then purchased by multi-millionaires like Dave Hughes.

Another factor was that it no longer seemed like it was about ordinary people - you had them building multi-million dollar apartments which were then purchased by multi-millionaires like Dave Hughes.

It will probably still be multi million dollar houses bought by people with money. But I reckon this years cast are pretty ‘everyday’ people. They’ve got a few tradies, a couple of teachers and a some farmers.

Yes, a lot of people don't like Scotty for a variety of reasons. I'm not a huge fan but I don't hate him either. Although, he annoys me when he tries to make out that he's the actual "boss" on The Block when we all know that's just bullshit in the extreme.
Maybe because I’ve had a break for a few years I didn’t find him very grating last night. Will see how it goes after a few eps haha

I wasn't a fan of the apartments either and the prices they sold for were well and truly out of the price range for the "ordinary" person. Having said that...house prices in Melbourne are ridiculous anyway. Recently a weatherboard, two bedroom cottage in need of major renovation sold for $1.4m. You pay for the postcode.

I'm glad they are back with different period houses this year as I think it will be interesting to see their interpretations of the various period features and trends of the time..IF they don't stuff it up and put the wrong features in the wrong houses...like Edwardian in Victorian etc.

QLD couple (1950s house) are my pick atm. I thought I would really like the father and daughter team but her constant meltdowns are annoying me. Hopefully, she can lift her game and he/they learn to pay more attention to the spaces they have to work with.

QLD couple (1950s house) are my pick atm. I thought I would really like the father and daughter team but her constant meltdowns are annoying me. Hopefully, she can lift her game and he/they learn to pay more attention to the spaces they have to work with.
I think they’re a little bit in over their heads.

Sarah and George and the SA farmers are still my faves. But I do think the QLD couple will do well. I am liking Luke and Jasmine more than I thought I would. Great cast this year.

My only complaint is that the episodes seem to end a little abruptly. I can’t exactly put my finger on why I feel like that.

The tears are already too much. It's like day 3, they need to relax.

I think the young QLD team will go alright. Still can't quite put my finger on who the trouble makers with the bad edit are going to be this year..?

Like I said. Harry and Tash really are in over their heads. All the other teams seem to be doing pretty well. I don’t really enjoy watching people who are just really struggling and it’s not for them. I just hope they win something at the end.
QLD are good.
The drama between George and Farmer Daniel tonight was so fake and OTT. Guess if they are all getting along well they have to manufacture a bit of drama.
I feel like the Block drags things out a bit. Not that I want a room reveal EVERY episode. But I always feel like it cuts the episode before I’m ready for it to finish, in terms of the story not being finished. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I’m coming off the back of a few years break from watching the block. So my memory is a little hazy. They used to have a mid week mini challenge didn’t they? Maybe that’s what I felt was missing tonight. Do they still do that?

Also used to be on more than three nights a week didn’t it? Did the mid week challenge get cut when the episodes got cut?

Yes, Wednesday nights used to be challenge night. I think they haven't done that for a year or two? But I might be wrong. I never liked them and thought they were just another ploy to put the contestants under more pressure...no matter what the supposed benefits were.

Another good thing is ditching that stupid safe idea...it gave the recipients an unfair advantage imo and also I like that they now give the contestants a budget per room...should have always been the case because not everyone can budget effectively for an entire build and some went absolutely OTT with often horrendous bathrooms, labour costs etc in the past. It seems the producers are listening to feedback so that is a good thing.

Poor Harry and Tash...spatial awareness is just not their thing. I hope they can find some way to turn things around for themselves. The other teams all seem to be doing ok...atm.

I watched the first two eps but lost interest mid ep2. Maybe I'll watch some room reveals but I just don't care any more. Glad to hear they dropped the stupid challenges though. That was all aimed at the kids/family viewing. Agree about the room budgets, they should always have done that.

I think having all the houses on one area (where they’ve clearly been moved to, they’re all stump houses) just makes it feel like a set. It doesn’t feel genuine. Of course it’s so ch9 can control the environment more easily and not piss off the real neighbours in the street.

The contestants this year feel really fake. Not to mention particularly clueless. I’m seriously wondering just how much of the work they’re doing and how much the rent-a-tradies are doing. I get the impression the contestants are simply coming onto the set, doing their shots and pieces to camera, and then the real tradies actually do 95% of the work.

Well, they all did really well this week but, like the judges, I'm struggling with their interpretations of the various periods. It's not hard to take cues from what's left in the houses and with help from Google it really shouldn't be a problem. Although, couples like Luke and Jasmine don't seem to want to embrace the fact that they are supposed to be renovating a period house. It's all very well to say that your style is modern but the thing is you are renovating a house that will be bought by someone else and THEIR expectations have to be met not yours.

Back