Skip to main content

The Block: Glasshouse

I really hope there are less filler days, but I won't hold my breath.
Yeah I'd hope so too but then again I always still recorded the Friday night show so I'm not one to talk. I think some of those challenges and gimmicks they have are geared towards keeping it a family show. I'm always surprised at how many kids show up at the open for inspection and are totally into it.

Yeah I'd hope so too but then again I always still recorded the Friday night show so I'm not one to talk. I think some of those challenges and gimmicks they have are geared towards keeping it a family show. I'm always surprised at how many kids show up at the open for inspection and are totally into it.

Yeah I understand the need for the challenge days and I don't honestly mind them so long as it's just one day. I hate it when they carry over.

Also I kinda missed eliminations and/or the first challenge to decide apartments as it gives you an idea of their styles, now I have to wait.

Also I kinda missed eliminations and/or the first challenge to decide apartments as it gives you an idea of their styles, now I have to wait.

I was thinking the same thing - did they say which room would be the first reveal? There isn't even walls between the apartments!

I was thinking the same thing - did they say which room would be the first reveal? There isn't even walls between the apartments!

A bedroom. So they best enjoy their week I doubt they'll get another one room week!

with the price of Uni fees going up there is likely to be a lot more tradies in the future, all out of work like they are now

i would have liked another hour to see a bit of work happening, tonight only showed them looking for their space, pretty boring for a 1st episode

The Block: Glasshouse co-host Shelley Craft on the new contestants

• 2 DAYS AGO JULY 25, 2014 4:41PM
WHEN The Block: Glasshouse co-host Shelley Craft first saw the glass office block contestants would have to transform into five luxury apartments, she thought it was a ridiculous idea.

But it wasn’t long until she became convinced the new series of the hit Nine Networkrenovation reality show would be the best yet.

“The building is always one of the main characters of each series, and this one is a doozey,” Craft revealed.

SCOTT CAM; What’s he done with his Gold Logie

THE BLOCK: Couple curse avoided

“When I first saw it though, I thought it was ridiculous. Totally ridiculous.”

512174-578d875a-13cc-11e4-bbaf-47cb7c4f86b3.jpg

Ridiculous idea ... Shelley Craft dishes the dirt on the new series of The Block: Glasshouse. Picture: Kylie Else Source:News Corp Australia

Rather than a building site where some progress has been made by the show’s construction team, contestants will be met on Sunday night with a completely blank canvas.

“It’s exactly how it was left — a deserted office building with desks and files scattered around.”

That twist sets the scene for immediate drama, helped along by a melting pot of personalities and cutthroat ambition to win the top prize.

Ahead of the debut episode, Craft gives the inside scoop on what to expect, including the couple everyone will love ... and the team viewers will love to hate.

The nice ones

Her pick for show favourites, as in the couple viewers will be most fond of, is Michael and Carlene from the Gold Coast in Queensland.

Although they might not win over everyone straight away, she said.

512202-f4a06220-13cb-11e4-bbaf-47cb7c4f86b3.jpg

Shelley’s show favourites ... Michael and Carlene from the Gold Coast. Picture: Jack Tran Source: News Corp Australia

“They’re just gorgeous. They’re parents, they’re fun, they’re in it for the right reasons and I like them.

“But they have a very dry sense of humour, so it might take people a while to warm up to them.”

The ones you’ll love to hate

He’s a former AFL player, but Darren Jolly is quick to clarify that he’s not the captain of this team. That’s Dee’s job.

And boy does she drive him hard, Craft said.

512657-d6891a50-13be-11e4-9633-5d2eb5bc90d6.jpg

The woman is in charge ... Darren and Dee Jolly from Melbourne. Picture; Martin Philbey Source: Supplied

“Everyone has a friend like Dee — your headstrong girlfriend who speaks her mind, perhaps a bit louder than everyone else does.”

The Melbourne couple is fun to watch and add a lot of colour to The Block, but Craft admits Dee’s attitude towards Darren might not go down well.

“People might be shocked by her, but I think they’ll see she means well and speaks from the heart.

“She makes great TV. There are some wonderful moments in there.”

BLOCK PRODUCER: ‘Deanne Jolly has no filter’

The pranksters

Brothers and best mates Shannon and Simon provide the amusement and humour on The Block.

512685-d86414a8-13cb-11e4-bbaf-47cb7c4f86b3.jpg

Need to grow up ... Shannon and Simon from Tasmania. Source: Supplied

But Craft said the Tasmanians can push things too far sometimes in pursuit of a laugh.

“Sometimes I watch them and think ‘oh for goodness sake, grow up!’ Some of the things they do, I shake my head.

“They keep the mood light though.”

The dark horses

This year, every team has some form of trades experience, from plumbing to carpentry. Every team except Max and Karstan from Newcastle.

512280-0ead6406-13cc-11e4-bbaf-47cb7c4f86b3.jpg

Karstan and Max. Photo: Supplied Source: Supplied

“Karstan is a coal miner and Max is an ex-beauty queen who is now an event manager. From the start, people will write them off.”

Craft said the couple holds their own, though. It won’t be long until the other teams realise they have underestimated these youngsters.

“They will put some of the contestants in their place along the way,” Craft said.

The smiling assassins

Jenna and Chris from Sydney’s west seem like they’re keen to make friends and offer their competitors a hand when they need it.

But behind closed doors, Craft said they’re in it to win it.

512739-ef389992-13cb-11e4-bbaf-47cb7c4f86b3.jpg

In it to win it ... Chris and Jenna from Sydney. Photo: Supplied Source: Channel 9

“They are tough. They’re tough competitors. They’re the smiling assassins.

“They’ll put everything they have into this and you’ll see it in the force couple of weeks. They’re a force to be reckoned with.”

Her pick to win it

If she had to tip a couple to win the competition based on the first week alone, Craft would pick Michael and Carlene.

“That’s my hot pick.

“But auction day is a completely different game all together. We’ll see.”

The building itself

It will be no easy task turning the Glasshouse from a bland office into top-notch apartments that will command a hefty price on auction day.

“The teams will be given the floor plans on the first night and will have to find where their apartments sit inside this huge, behemoth of a building,” Craft said.

512767-1b57f7a2-13cc-11e4-bbaf-47cb7c4f86b3.jpg

The Cast ... Hosts Scott Cam And Shelley Craft with The Block: Glasshouse contestants. Source: Supplied

Over the next several weeks, each team will create a two-level apartment. The space they’re given to work with is the biggest in the show’s nine-season history.

But space is where the generosity ends.

“They don’t know what twists are coming and what we’re going to throw at them next.

The Block: Glasshouse premiers on Nine Network on Sunday at 6.30pm.

Source

Well that was a boring episode. I'll be interested to see the ratings tomorrow considering that the block and X-factor we up against each other and both of those shows sort of over lapped with the start of MasterChef at 7:30.

Is The Block: Glasshouse contestant Deanne Jolly the most volatile Blockhead yet?

• 5 DAYS AGO JULY 22, 2014 10:00PM

The Block 'Glasshouse' promo
external

The Block: Glasshouse executive producer Julian Cress.

That makes the 42-year-old blonde and her ex-AFL footballer husband Darren, 32, a potential ratings bonanza for the Channel 9 reality show.

214016-683b681c-0d53-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

Darren and Deanne Jolly have their share of run-ins on The Block: Glasshouse. Source: Supplied

Host Scott Cam won this year’s Gold Logie but every Block fan knows that it is the fiery contestants that get people watching in droves.

The monster ratings for The Block: Sky High and The Block: Fans v Faves had a lot to do with tough-as-nails twins Alisa and Lysandra Fraser.

Who can forget their f-bomb meltdown when given a poor score for one of their Albert Park bathrooms?

Blockbuster dummy spit
external

Jenna Whitehead and Josh Densten livened up season four with their expletive-filled verbal stoushes. But neither couple has anything on Deanne and Darren.

In week one alone, Deanne goes on the warpath, verballing Darren for painting a wall she planned to panel.

Then she gives Darren a massive spray for not consulting her about the position of a bathroom towel rail.

212823-63d49cb2-0d53-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

Five couples battle it out on the new series hosted by Scott Cam. Source: Supplied

“Darren and Dea are made for a show like The Block,” Cress says.

“You’ve got a guy who’s incredibly competitive, who has been at the top of his game in AFL. His wife is no different. She has a take-no-prisoners attitude.

“The result of that is friction. (Under the pressure of the competition) people can sometimes say and do things that they wouldn’t normally.”

214127-651f26d0-111f-11e4-9633-5d2eb5bc90d6.jpg

“I’m pretty assertive, “ says Deanne Jolly. Source: News Limited

Deanne makes no apologies for the way she behaves towards her hubby. “I’m somebody that speaks her mind and people either like that or hate that about me,” she says.

“I’m very much ‘what you see is what you get’ and a straight shooter. I’m pretty assertive but you have to be to get things done in that (The Block) environment.

“I know Julian has made some comparisons between me and other strong women, like the twins, that have been on the show in seasons past. I’m sure I’ll get the same kind of feedback.”

Deanne and Darren have been married for eight years and have two young daughters, Scarlett, 7, and Lily, 5. The pair decided to go on The Block after renovating their three-bedroom Edwardian home in Melbourne’s Surrey Hills.

Darren is a former Sydney Swans and Collingwood player. Deanne had her own fashion label, but has developed a passion for interior design.

They face off against four other couples to create plush apartments at a massive 1980s office block in the Melbourne suburb of Prahran.

It’s twice the size of the Fans v Faves site, however the contestants still have to make do with the usual $100,000 renovation budget.

214479-3b6c9ae2-0d51-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

Scott Cam says the contestants have really struggled this time round. Source: Supplied

It’s a massive undertaking, Cam says. “When I walked into the Glasshouse site, I thought we might have been taking on a little too much, and I’ve been proven right,” he says.

“Our contestants struggled in the first four or five weeks. We’ve seen an unprecedented number of rooms not finished in time for reveal day.”

Deanne and Darren had to call on their parents to mind their daughters throughout the 12 weeks of competition.

“Going on The Block is tough for any couple,” Deanne says.

214585-2dcd6a2e-0d51-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

Deanne and Darren Jolly admit the pressures of The Block led to arguments. Source: Supplied

“It is a pressurised situation and you throw in sleep deprivation and being away from your children and getting used to cameras in your face.

“One of the things Darren and I discussed before we came on the show was how we were going to handle conflict if there were issues.

“We decided that time was of the essence on this show so if we had issues we would talk about them and move on quickly.

“As a mum, being away from my girls was my biggest challenge. Lily was sick twice and had to go to the hospital while filming was happening. That was really hard.”

Darren admits that tiredness was his biggest enemy. That made him cranky and combative towards Deanne.

“With footy, I would easily get nine or ten hours sleep per night,” Darren says. “OnThe Block we were up (at) 6am, started at seven and worked until eight at night then have a quick bite to eat for dinner, clean up and then be in bed around 11pm or midnight.

“On the nights before room reveal we would be up all night painting and the only times I’ve been up all night is on big benders.

“It really started to take its toll. I didn’t function that well. You’re going to snap at each other under those circumstances.

“As much as you prepare yourself as a couple (for the pressure of competing on The Block) it is really difficult. There were times — and I’m sure they will be played on camera — where Dea snapped at me and I snapped back and we had arguments.

“Under the fatigue and the deadline of finishing a room, if one mistake happens … it becomes really difficult.”

Cress must be rubbing his hands together in delight.

■ The Block: Glasshouse, Channel Nine, Sunday, 7.30pm

214327-65b68eb4-0d53-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

Simon and Shannon. Source: Supplied

214691-6943a242-0d53-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

In the Glasshouse: Chris and Jenna. Source: Supplied

214470-6a6de9f2-0d53-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

Michael and Carlene. Source: Supplied

215024-6b76b6c6-0d53-11e4-b832-315b08e711dd.jpg

Karstan and Maxine. Source: Supplied

Source

It's too early to judge. Nine hasn't told us who to love and hate yet.

Can we make this quote a sticky - on just about every RTV thread:):):) Just change the nomination to suit.

They are located in a ghastly spot traffic wise. That part of the world is congested, chapel st is hell, you need to be crazy to drive that street. They are hemmed in with evil roads & very close to the city.

Well that was a boring episode. I'll be interested to see the ratings tomorrow considering that the block and X-factor we up against each other and both of those shows sort of over lapped with the start of MasterChef at 7:30.
Damn it I forgot about X Factor! Ugh too many of these flippin shows going on now.

Damn it I forgot about X Factor! Ugh too many of these flippin shows going on now.
I'm predicting that you are not the only one who forgot about X-factor. The Block will win the 6:30 slot and Masterchef will win the 7:30 slot, leaving the talent shows to bring up the rear. Fingers crossed that when I check the ratings tomorrow I won't have :egg:.

Ratings are in for epsiode 1.

1,374,000 viewers. #1 rated show for the night and #2 in all demos.

The rest of the night not so successful for Nine, third place network overall. Masterchef and Glasgow helped ten to a rare win.

Some are saying its a bit of a soft launch considering it was simulcast on all three nine network channels.

For comparison, Sky High (12/05/13) launched with 1,312,000 and Fans VS Faves (27/01/14) launched with 1,143,000. So it's actually a higher launch than the previous two seasons.

Augurs well for the popularity of this season.

(And seeing as though BB will be following for part of the season, the more watching Block the more might stick around for BB)

I think we'll get a better gauge of if The Block could help BB when Masterchef end tonight. If people are still jumping away Tuesday from Ch 9 as soon as The Block finishes as they did last night or even before the episode finished to watch something else starting at the proper time, I don't think it'll be much assistance. The execs at TEN must've creamed their jeans at these results especially with The Bachelor coming up to take MC's place at 7:30.

It's not worth watching.......... just add views for a while for me.
It just looked like lost dimwits wandering around an accident site - hardly entertainment.

And did I hear right? There is a middle apartment - with NO WINDOWS.
WTF, who would want that coffin to live in?
9 are greedy bastards, should have just done 4.
And was it the poor twins that dudded out with the coffin home?

Whatever shopping they do - will need to be at the crack of dawn.
They are hemmed in where they are, bound by hideous inner city congested roads - and over priced shops one direction, bargains the opposite direction.

Will be interesting to see if they make use of one of Melbourne's best ever op shop stretches - there are I think about 10 super duper 2nd hand shops around there.

Stylish groovy op shops.

And you get awesome furniture bargains & designer stuff chucked out by the mega rich.

Back