Skip to main content

The Bachelorette

EXCLUSIVE: The Bachelorette guys had to undergo invasive STI tests before they crossed paths with Sam Frost… Just like Sam Wood's The Bachelor ladies
By Amy Croffey and Danielle Gusmaroli for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 17:11 EST, 23 September 2015 | Updated: 01:14 EST, 24 September 2015

• They are hoping to find the love of their lives on The Bachelorette Australia.

But Daily Mail Australia can reveal that the 14 bachelors were not permitted to take one step near leading lady, Sam Frost, without undergoing an invasive STI screening first.

The handsome hunks would have been swabbed for the likes of chlamydia, gonorrhoea, genital herpes and had to undergo blood tests to see if they had come down with a nasty case of syphilis or worse still, HIV.

As tensions rise in the glare of the spotlight, a very different reality has been known to unfold when the cameras stop rolling through the years on the reality dating show, including bed-hopping, wild flirtations and false declarations of love.

Scroll down for video

2C92E57E00000578-3245862-Daily_Mail_Australia_can_reveal_that_the_14_bachelors_were_not_p-m-72_1442990228255.jpg

+11
    Dropping trou: Daily Mail Australia can reveal that the 14 bachelors were not permitted to take one step near leading lady, Sam Frost, without undergoing an invasive STI screening first

2C74506900000578-3245862-image-m-86_1442990805340.jpg

+11
    Invasive: It was the same for The Bachelor girls, who had to undergo tests for sexually transmitted infections and fill out medical forms, before they were selected to appear

It's unknown if Sam Frost was forced to do the same, but it was confirmed that Sam Wood was tested before he met up with his 21 single ladies.

It was the same for The Bachelor girls, who had to undergo tests for sexually transmitted infections and fill out medical forms, before they were selected to appear.

Shine, the production company behind the shows, insisted to Daily Mail Australia in June it has a 'duty of care' to ensure the contestants, including the Bachelor himself, undertake the blood and urine tests.

A contestant on last year's series said bachelorettes are largely in favour of the requirement, with one from last year's show referring to the tests as 'a necessary background check'.

2C5E258700000578-3245862-image-a-73_1442990438513.jpg

+11
    Stay away: Not one of the 14 handsome hunks could get near Sam Frost without a swab or blood test

2C6A555400000578-3245862-image-a-74_1442990474157.jpg

+11
    Even The Bachelor is not exempt! Sam Wood had to also undergo the checks

The contestant, who asked to remain anonymous, said: 'It is true we had to have them [STI tests] it's like a background check ... Why not given what's happened on previous shows in other countries?'

She added: 'They don't allow you any time with The Bachelor to even kiss off camera because they're always filming you but in previous series in other countries, contestants have found a way to sleep with each other.

'They sneak into each other's rooms. I know it happened in America,' she said, referring to allegations US Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis slept with three contestants on the show.

Get all the latest news, pictures and videos on The Bachelor

2C60E35200000578-3245862-image-a-75_1442990486033.jpg

+11
    Fruity: Shine, the production company behind the shows, insisted to Daily Mail Australia it has a 'duty of care' to ensure the contestants, including the Bachelor himself, undertake the blood and urine tests

2C61B7F400000578-3245862-image-a-76_1442990545636.jpg

+11
    Close: As tensions rise in the glare of the spotlight, a very different reality has been known to unfold when the cameras stop rolling through the years on the reality dating show

'These days you want to get a background check on anyone before you engage with them sexually.'

She added: 'It's the production company covering their a**es, they're being conservative and covering all angles.'

Last year, tensions on the Channel Ten show hit fever pitch when Bachelor Blake Garvey, an auctioneer from Perth, proposed on air to Bachelorette Sam.

But soon after the cameras were turned off, he had ditched her only to go into hiding in Thailand and emerge weeks later to declare his love for rejected bachelorette Louise Pillidge.

2CAAA3A800000578-3245862-image-m-85_1442990693039.jpg

+11
    Ouch! The hunks would have been swabbed for the likes of chlamydia, gonorrhoea, genital herpes and had to undergo blood tests to see if they had come down with a nasty case of syphilis or worse still, HIV

Blake's seemingly ruthless nature was compared to US star Juan Pablo Galavis, who was once dubbed the most hated Bachelor in history.

The 32-year-old former footballer caused controversy after one contestant claimed he bedded three women during the series.

The New York-born Venezuelan also allegedly told runner up Clare Crawley that she was good in bed - but he didn't really know her, so wasn't giving her a rose in the final ceremony.

29BAC80400000578-3129252-image-m-5_1434616815835.jpg

+11
    Allegations: The health check revelation comes after former US Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis was accused of sleeping with three contestants during the series

article-2578036-1C2E546500000578-699_634x402.jpg

+11
    Controversy: The 32-year-old US Bachelor, pictured with his show winner Nikki Ferrell, has been dubbed the most hated bachelor in the history of the show

He then went on to tell the winner, Nikki Ferrell, that although he had a ring he wasn't going to propose because he had doubts.

'I have a ring here in my pocket and I'm not going to use it,' he said.

'I'm not 100 per cent sure I want to propose to you but I'm 100 per cent sure, I just want to let you know, I like you a lot...a lot.' he said with a cheeky wink.

He has since defended his actions, saying: 'At the end of the day, people don't know me, they just saw a show of over a thousand hours made into 20 hours and they don't get to know who I really am.'

29BA88DB00000578-3129252-image-m-29_1434608701726.jpg

+11
    Passions rose: Tensions on the Channel Ten show hit fever pitch last year when Blake Garvey proposed on a bended knee to Sam Frost before changing his mind for another contestant

Among a slew of controversial claims on social media, Juan Pablo also caused a stir after telling a reporter that gay or bisexual contestants should not be allowed to be The Bachelor.

The TV star has since apologised for his comments.

A spokeswoman for Shine Australia confirmed STI tests as a necessary 'duty of care.'

'Across all our shows, we ask participants to complete various medical questionnaires and undertake a range of tests as part of our duty of care and responsibility to them and their well-being,' a spokesman for the production company said.

'It is not appropriate to comment on specifics.'

2C92F61D00000578-3245862-image-a-88_1442991227779.jpg

+11
    Do you know any of The Bachelorette stars? Email [email protected]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ts-crossed-paths-Sam-Frost.html#ixzz3mbYXONnA
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm unable to watch the first 2 eps as on holidays! You guys are fantastic with all the commentary!! Loving it!

That's going to be me next week :arghh:. Unless I can convince my husband and son to watch it with me without making smartarse comments but the likelihood of that is like 10%.

EXCLUSIVE: The Bachelorette guys had to undergo invasive STI tests before they crossed paths with Sam Frost… Just like Sam Wood's The Bachelor ladies
By Amy Croffey and Danielle Gusmaroli for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 17:11 EST, 23 September 2015 | Updated: 01:14 EST, 24 September 2015

• They are hoping to find the love of their lives on The Bachelorette Australia.

But Daily Mail Australia can reveal that the 14 bachelors were not permitted to take one step near leading lady, Sam Frost, without undergoing an invasive STI screening first.

The handsome hunks would have been swabbed for the likes of chlamydia, gonorrhoea, genital herpes and had to undergo blood tests to see if they had come down with a nasty case of syphilis or worse still, HIV.

As tensions rise in the glare of the spotlight, a very different reality has been known to unfold when the cameras stop rolling through the years on the reality dating show, including bed-hopping, wild flirtations and false declarations of love.

Scroll down for video

2C92E57E00000578-3245862-Daily_Mail_Australia_can_reveal_that_the_14_bachelors_were_not_p-m-72_1442990228255.jpg

+11
    Dropping trou: Daily Mail Australia can reveal that the 14 bachelors were not permitted to take one step near leading lady, Sam Frost, without undergoing an invasive STI screening first

2C74506900000578-3245862-image-m-86_1442990805340.jpg

+11
    Invasive: It was the same for The Bachelor girls, who had to undergo tests for sexually transmitted infections and fill out medical forms, before they were selected to appear

It's unknown if Sam Frost was forced to do the same, but it was confirmed that Sam Wood was tested before he met up with his 21 single ladies.

It was the same for The Bachelor girls, who had to undergo tests for sexually transmitted infections and fill out medical forms, before they were selected to appear.

Shine, the production company behind the shows, insisted to Daily Mail Australia in June it has a 'duty of care' to ensure the contestants, including the Bachelor himself, undertake the blood and urine tests.

A contestant on last year's series said bachelorettes are largely in favour of the requirement, with one from last year's show referring to the tests as 'a necessary background check'.

2C5E258700000578-3245862-image-a-73_1442990438513.jpg

+11
    Stay away: Not one of the 14 handsome hunks could get near Sam Frost without a swab or blood test

2C6A555400000578-3245862-image-a-74_1442990474157.jpg

+11
    Even The Bachelor is not exempt! Sam Wood had to also undergo the checks

The contestant, who asked to remain anonymous, said: 'It is true we had to have them [STI tests] it's like a background check ... Why not given what's happened on previous shows in other countries?'

She added: 'They don't allow you any time with The Bachelor to even kiss off camera because they're always filming you but in previous series in other countries, contestants have found a way to sleep with each other.

'They sneak into each other's rooms. I know it happened in America,' she said, referring to allegations US Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis slept with three contestants on the show.

Get all the latest news, pictures and videos on The Bachelor

2C60E35200000578-3245862-image-a-75_1442990486033.jpg

+11
    Fruity: Shine, the production company behind the shows, insisted to Daily Mail Australia it has a 'duty of care' to ensure the contestants, including the Bachelor himself, undertake the blood and urine tests

2C61B7F400000578-3245862-image-a-76_1442990545636.jpg

+11
    Close: As tensions rise in the glare of the spotlight, a very different reality has been known to unfold when the cameras stop rolling through the years on the reality dating show

'These days you want to get a background check on anyone before you engage with them sexually.'

She added: 'It's the production company covering their a**es, they're being conservative and covering all angles.'

Last year, tensions on the Channel Ten show hit fever pitch when Bachelor Blake Garvey, an auctioneer from Perth, proposed on air to Bachelorette Sam.

But soon after the cameras were turned off, he had ditched her only to go into hiding in Thailand and emerge weeks later to declare his love for rejected bachelorette Louise Pillidge.

2CAAA3A800000578-3245862-image-m-85_1442990693039.jpg

+11
    Ouch! The hunks would have been swabbed for the likes of chlamydia, gonorrhoea, genital herpes and had to undergo blood tests to see if they had come down with a nasty case of syphilis or worse still, HIV

Blake's seemingly ruthless nature was compared to US star Juan Pablo Galavis, who was once dubbed the most hated Bachelor in history.

The 32-year-old former footballer caused controversy after one contestant claimed he bedded three women during the series.

The New York-born Venezuelan also allegedly told runner up Clare Crawley that she was good in bed - but he didn't really know her, so wasn't giving her a rose in the final ceremony.

29BAC80400000578-3129252-image-m-5_1434616815835.jpg

+11
    Allegations: The health check revelation comes after former US Bachelor Juan Pablo Galavis was accused of sleeping with three contestants during the series

article-2578036-1C2E546500000578-699_634x402.jpg

+11
    Controversy: The 32-year-old US Bachelor, pictured with his show winner Nikki Ferrell, has been dubbed the most hated bachelor in the history of the show

He then went on to tell the winner, Nikki Ferrell, that although he had a ring he wasn't going to propose because he had doubts.

'I have a ring here in my pocket and I'm not going to use it,' he said.

'I'm not 100 per cent sure I want to propose to you but I'm 100 per cent sure, I just want to let you know, I like you a lot...a lot.' he said with a cheeky wink.

He has since defended his actions, saying: 'At the end of the day, people don't know me, they just saw a show of over a thousand hours made into 20 hours and they don't get to know who I really am.'

29BA88DB00000578-3129252-image-m-29_1434608701726.jpg

+11
    Passions rose: Tensions on the Channel Ten show hit fever pitch last year when Blake Garvey proposed on a bended knee to Sam Frost before changing his mind for another contestant

Among a slew of controversial claims on social media, Juan Pablo also caused a stir after telling a reporter that gay or bisexual contestants should not be allowed to be The Bachelor.

The TV star has since apologised for his comments.

A spokeswoman for Shine Australia confirmed STI tests as a necessary 'duty of care.'

'Across all our shows, we ask participants to complete various medical questionnaires and undertake a range of tests as part of our duty of care and responsibility to them and their well-being,' a spokesman for the production company said.

'It is not appropriate to comment on specifics.'

2C92F61D00000578-3245862-image-a-88_1442991227779.jpg

+11
    Do you know any of The Bachelorette stars? Email [email protected]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ts-crossed-paths-Sam-Frost.html#ixzz3mbYXONnA
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Lol Juan Pablo...I watched like 5 minutes of him in the bachelorette season and could smell his sleaze from a mile away.
No sympathy for those silly enough to bed him!

That's going to be me next week :arghh:. Unless I can convince my husband and son to watch it with me without making smartarse comments but the likelihood of that is like 10%.
send them out for some "boy bonding" time at the local indoor bowling place - or maybe not so local so they're out of the house longer ;)
throw in some $ for Maccas ... should buy you some quiet time :angelic:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3246352/Sam-Frost-hints-love-Bachelorette.html

Thinks very highly of herself, doesn't she? :shamefully:

I can just imagine the response if the male bach had said Snez didn't tick all the boxes in his wish list. :hilarious:

Newsflash sweetheart there's no such thing as a perfect human being and you definitely ain't all that either. :whistling:

I think the male bach from last year dodged a bullet and made the right choice in dumping her. :thumbsup:
maybe this was to throw us all off the scent - because if we know her checklist we can see who does or doesn't measure up

So, it's on again tonight, thank god. I had to watch it in a feverish rush when I got in late yesterday - and every other Wednesday forEVA, which is a pity. They are a nice bunch of guys and funny.

Am liking brunette Sam 2.0 but oh geeze the speeches went on a bit long. A lot of filler guys but am hoping David I Am An International Model stays in a long time and the other two Plumber Dave/Supermario and Carpenter Davey do not stick around too long, because boy is it tiring with the names. Plumber Dave seems okay-ish, so far - but that may just be in comparison to the other lug.

Alex will give good sensitive commentary, but eesh, bald men. I love Drew, love a bit of long hair, plus bonus Owl! Michael is easy on the eye, quite cluey, and goes deep into the game, c/- the promos. And I do like David with his endless self-references and he is fun to watch.

None of these men is my type. I wonder am I heterosexual... then I remember Brooks! Brooks!

Haha yeah I think they do pick the contestants based on type and Sam definitely has one.
Tall, dark and somewhat handsome...looks don't really seem to play a part...but they have to be strong and masculine...I wonder if she has a bit of daddy issue going on?

Well the only time she seemed pleased is when sasha came along, she said something to the camera crew, I think it was now were talking... I can't remember but it was along those lines. So far he stands out far and beyond in the stakes of winning.

Funnily enough he is not one of the good looking ones (to me at least), it's interesting that he appealed to Sam immediately.

lol I agree the way that comes out sounds bad. Anyone with even half a brain though would be able to see that she didn't mean that someone needs to tick those boxes to be with her, rather that what she thought she wanted in a boyfriend isn't what she found makes her happy.
In her defence she actually doesn't have tickets on herself and in fact is more likely to stick her foot in her mouth than say something smooth. She'd be the first to admit she's not perfect.
(have you even watched the show to see what she's like or are you relying on the journalistic integrity of DM which actually says something about yourself ;))

You should watch the show with us :p

agree the way that comes out sounds bad. Anyone with even half a brain though would be able to see that she didn't mean that someone needs to tick those boxes to be with her, rather that what she thought she wanted in a boyfriend isn't what she found makes her happy.

That's still a pretty self absorbed narcissistic mindset to bring into the show. In a teenager I can let it slide due to lack of maturity and self awareness that comes with the territory at that age. But in a grown woman hoping to find the 'one' from a bunch of blokes? :shamefully: It's embarrassing to say the least.

It makes sense now why last year's bach ditched her. Unfortunately it probably only dawned on him after he spent some genuine time with her away from the artificial environment that is having tv cameras following you around and filming every interaction/conversation you had together. He was made too look like an arsehole for doing it but in the long run it was a wise albeit tough decision.

In her defence she actually doesn't have tickets on herself and in fact is more likely to stick her foot in her mouth than say something smooth. She'd be the first to admit she's not perfect.

Good on you for giving the benefit of the doubt. It would've been nice if the male bach was afforded the same courtesy. :angelic:

have you even watched the show to see what she's like or are you relying on the journalistic integrity of DM which actually says something about yourself

I never thought I'd see the day the word integrity and reality show mentioned in the same sentence. :D

You should watch the show with us

I tried but I gradually find myself napping after a few minutes :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: or if I stay alert for longer than 5 minutes my tummy starts playing up on me. :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

Last edited:
A lot of filler guys but am hoping David I Am An International Model stays in a long time and the other two Plumber Dave/Supermario and Carpenter Davey do not stick around too long,

And I do like David with his endless self-references and he is fun to watch.

YASSSS!!!!

That's still a pretty self absorbed narcissistic mindset to bring into the show. In a teenager I can let it slide due to lack of maturity and self awareness that comes with the territory at that age. But in a grown woman hoping to find the 'one' from a bunch of blokes? :shamefully: It's embarrassing to say the least.

So you don't have a type? Or some personality traits that you'd like your future girlfriend to possess? If not then you'd probably be one of the only ones. More often than not the person you find is liked for themselves and not because they possess everything on the list but it definitely isn't an uncommon thing. Be honest now ;)

It makes sense now why last year's bach ditched her. Unfortunately it probably only dawned on him after he spent some genuine time with her away from the artificial environment that is having tv cameras following you around and filming every interaction/conversation you had together. He was made too look like an arsehole for doing it but in the long run it was a wise albeit tough decision.

He didn't spend time away with her though. It was like 2 days or something. He shouldn't have proposed (I don't think any of them should until spending time together outside) just for show. You make pretty broad assumptions based on tabloids lol.. oh and the fact she's part of the gender who broke your little heart ;) :whistling:

Good on you for giving the benefit of the doubt. It would've been nice if the male bach was afforded the same courtesy. :angelic:
He was, he came in with a clean slate. Just because I don't think he's perfect doesn't mean I think he's at the opposite spectrum either, and just because there have been comments on certain actions doesn't mean that sample should be extrapolated to the whole of his existence. Put away your tiny violin ;)

I never thought I'd see the day the word integrity and reality show mentioned in the same sentence. :D

Well it wasn't, I was talking about a rag. Misquoting hmmm... do you work for the Daily Mail? ;) :p

I tried but I gradually find myself napping after a few minutes :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: or if I stay alert for longer than 5 minutes my tummy starts playing up on me. :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

lol your lack of relevant knowledge of the subject matter is duly noted ;)

I noticed davey seemed to be in a few different episodes in the promo last night... How?! I do not see how he can become likeable after last night.

I noticed davey seemed to be in a few different episodes in the promo last night... How?! I do not see how he can become likeable after last night.

Hmm, are you sure it was Davey? I think I need to see the promo again because why on earth would she? lol

Back