Skip to main content

The Affable Thread

No problems.
When people I like start insulting me, I shall call it out.

Yes, I saw you post that earlier in the virus thread. I know what trolling is. If you’re unfamiliar, you will find Affable shared some great articles on this a while back.
So, what is trolling?

Trolls are people who leave intentionally provocative or offensive messages on the internet in order to get attention, cause trouble or upset someone.
But anyone could be provoked or offended by what people say. I mean people can be pathetically sensitive over nothing. Also it's impossible to prove intention online. And I post for myself. I don't care what other people think. I'm a free spirit. If people want to put labels on it because they are afraid of my independent thoughts that's on them. I just think that labelling trolling is lazy.

But anyone could be provoked or offended by what people say. I mean people can be pathetically sensitive over nothing. Also it's impossible to prove intention online. And I post for myself. I don't care what other people think. I'm a free spirit. If people want to put labels on it because they are afraid of my independent thoughts that's on them. I just think that labelling trolling is lazy.

1635933396262.gif

Also if you're going to call out behaviour at least be consistent about it. Or maybe don't proclaim yourself as someone noble fighting against those you somehow perceive to be "trolls".

I don’t proclaim to be anything, reepbot. Nice attempt to goad me into an argument, but I’m not in the mood to play tonight. Have a good evening!

I don’t proclaim to be anything, reepbot. Nice attempt to goad me into an argument, but I’m not in the mood to play tonight. Have a good evening!
I wasn't goading just hoping for some sort of consistency. But I've seen you ignore obvious trolling behaviour whilst labelling people who you don't like as trolls so it's a bit difficult to take you seriously when you go all about how you call out behaviour when clearly you don't do it consistently.

Hmmm. Interesting topic. Defintion of trolling has changed and does change constantly due to personal agendas and how they are viewed.
Id suggest its repeatative posts. Nonsensical devoid of addressing subject matter posts. Posts for the sake of posts.
Boring attention seeking nothing posts which add zero to discussion except to illicit a response. Which is very very sad. When no words are of value anymore except to invoke a response . And nearly always poorly executed cos they have nothing to offer. To argue, discuss or explore.
But im most probably wrong. I defer to the trolling experts.

I don’t really like the term to be honest.
Its a bandied about term which has lost any relative meaning. Only apllied by those with a specific agenda. There are plenty of other wonderful words in the vocabulary to express discontent. Its a lazy shortcut.

Its a bandied about term which has lost any relative meaning. Only apllied by those with a specific agenda. There are plenty of other wonderful words in the vocabulary to express discontent. Its a lazy shortcut.

Agreed completely. I think all context in the term has been lost and it is just applied so easily these days to describe a person that you do not agree with.

Hmmm. Interesting topic. Defintion of trolling has changed and does change constantly due to personal agendas and how they are viewed.
Id suggest its repeatative posts. Nonsensical devoid of addressing subject matter posts. Posts for the sake of posts.
Boring attention seeking nothing posts which add zero to discussion except to illicit a response. Which is very very sad. When no words are of value anymore except to invoke a response . And nearly always poorly executed cos they have nothing to offer. To argue, discuss or explore.
But im most probably wrong. I defer to the trolling experts.
Perhaps a new word needs to be introduced to encapsulate this? A cross between spamming, trolling and just plain fucking annoying?
I don’t really like the term to be honest.
I don't like the term either when it's misused but if used when appropriate it's ok.

Boring attention seeking nothing posts which add zero to discussion except to illicit a response.

Agreed.

Perhaps a new word needs to be introduced to encapsulate this? A cross between spamming, trolling and just plain fucking annoying?

Also agreed.

There are plenty of other wonderful words in the vocabulary to express discontent. Its a lazy shortcut.

I mean, you could refer to them an irritating c*nt, but troll seems less aggressive.

I'd be proud to be an irritating cunt rather than a follower, a puppet, or a sheep. Because at least an irritating cunt has the conviction of what they believe in unlike someone who boringly goes with the majority for popularity. Though I wouldn't compare being an irritating cunt with being a troll. Those are two different things.

Back