Skip to main content

Telemarketers!!!

I say hello
then telemarkers say, what they want.
then I say, sorry no speak english,
then it goes no further,

If I tried that it'd be like the time I was in those huge markets in China when I pretended I couldn't speak English then they switched to Spanish and I couldn't escape!

I say hello
then telemarkers say, what they want.
then I say, sorry no speak english,
then it goes no further,

I just tell them the truth, I am deaf and can't understand what they are saying. They soon get the message. I'm also on the Do Not Call register, I've only got the home phone for the internet, so I don't answer it now anyway. I use my mobile with speakerphone, for emergencies.

Wow thanks for telling me about the no-call register...didn't think we had one here in South africa but we do

...hey welcome to the Australian Big Brother forums Lindsay1973... it's great to have you on board... have fun posting with us... cheers.

Thanks so much,I have been a bit shy to post before it's hard just to jump into conversations LOL

...nah don't worry about being shy in here Lindsay1973... remember... nobody knows you at all so we all take you on face value and treat you as you treat us... just be yourself and have fun posting... mind you there are some nasty people on any forums but you just laugh at them and move on if you do get any of them having a go at you... if you want to come on here and have a good laugh come over to the 'Photoshop Thread' in the 'Australian Big Brother Talk' section... we're all having a great time over there having fun with the Housemates... very few if any fights at all... just pure fun... (mind you we can be a tad bit harsh at the expense of the Housemates because it is a 'no-holding back' thread after all lol!)... anyhow... it's good to see you posting... have fun... cheers.

...nah don't worry about being shy in here Lindsay1973... remember... nobody knows you at all so we all take you on face value and treat you as you treat us... just be yourself and have fun posting... mind you there are some nasty people on any forums but you just laugh at them and move on if you do get any of them having a go at you... if you want to come on here and have a good laugh come over to the 'Photoshop Thread' in the 'Australian Big Brother Talk' section... we're all having a great time over there having fun with the Housemates... very few if any fights at all... just pure fun... (mind you we can be a tad bit harsh at the expense of the Housemates because it is a 'no-holding back' thread after all lol!)... anyhow... it's good to see you posting... have fun... cheers.

You guys all seem great,I have a few Australian friends from the digital scrapbooking world and they are all wonderful people.I must say I like the BBAU version better than all other versions I have seen

I just tell them the truth, I am deaf and can't understand what they are saying. They soon get the message. I'm also on the Do Not Call register, I've only got the home phone for the internet, so I don't answer it now anyway. I use my mobile with speakerphone, for emergencies.

Do you mean "deaf" or "hard of hearing?" I don't understand.

We are on the DNC register as well, but still get shitloads of calls. We have caller ID and if it's a private or unknown #, it goes to the AM. If it's someone we know calling from a private #, then they can leave a message

OMG OMG - just had a private # call right now!!!!! I answered cos I'm expecting a call and it was a fkn telemarketer! I just PMSL and said "Bite Me" & hung up! I can't believe that just happened!

....anyway I also get many numbers that I don't recognise & when I Google them, the number comes up as Optus, Avon????, Liquorland and other places that are obviously popular as nuisances!

My FIL likes to ask them to wait a moment, then leaves the phone and keeps doing his own thing for a while.

Hubby likes the "Seinfeld" approach....

I just have no patience at all and if I answer, I'm more than likely to tell them to eff off!

I've never told them to eff off, tempting as it is. I'm ridiculously polite on the phone, I can't help it. But I stop them after one or two words with "I'll have to stop you there, I'm not the home owner" (if they asked for the home owner) or if they know my surname I ask "which one are you looking for?" and generally they don't know a first name, so it's time to end it.

I dont bother picking up the home phone now if it rings. If its family or friend they will call our mobile. We were on that dnc list. Was quiet for a while but then it started up again. Those computer calls when they call. I say "But I dont have a computer!". They hang up. Once hubby called this indian gal a fucking idiot. She immediately calls back and says.."Im sorry sir but youre a fucking idiot. !" Bahahaha...!!

My friend answered the phone at her mother's house and said mum wasn't home. The guy was from Telecom apparently. He asked how old she was and being a dick she giggled and said 15. So then he asked if she had a boyfriend. She told him he's a dirty perve and hung up.

My friend answered the phone at her mother's house and said mum wasn't home. The guy was from Telecom apparently. He asked how old she was and being a dick she giggled and said 15. So then he asked if she had a boyfriend. She told him he's a dirty perve and hung up.

Ha! That's hilarious (and kinda creepy)!

Grab yourselves an IP home phone number -- nekkid DSL/other tech, and the random supply of numbers from those alone. It's helstra/optarse that are flogging the data banks. But also beware of the "WIN A HOUSE!!!! "raffles" at home shows, car shows, or restaurants -- give them your details, you've signed on for years of endless "want to polish your timber floor" calls.

Easiest things: DNC register. And have the balls to say "Don't waste your time" to the guy that calls from the "insurance" arm of your current mortgage lender.

I had one from 1998 until a few months ago. The calls got quite extreme after when dropped the unlisted though I still did sometimes get them when it was unlisted. I've not had any all week now I don't think.

Do you mean "deaf" or "hard of hearing?" I don't understand.

I'm deaf. I went deaf later in life, I wasnt born deaf. I have a cochlear implant on my left hand side and a hearing aid on the right side. Without them, I cannot hear a thing, not even thunder. With the the CI and hearing aid together , I can converse pretty well face to face, except in very noisy situations. The telephone is difficult, with voices I dont recognise, so I rarely answer my home phone. I can get by on my mobile on speakerphone with family members, who know that I am deaf, but with strange voices, my comprehension isnt good and noisy situations are pretty hopeless. I would thoroughly recommend anyone that qualifies for a cochlear implant, to go for it. There is NO comparison between a cochlear implant and a hearing aid. "Live" captioning like they do on programmes like Big Brother, ACA and Today Tonight are pretty bad. None of the programmes are "live" to air and its also very lazy and against the law, by the TV stations, to not provide subtitles or closed captions. Anyone that watched with the "live" captions, can see that half the time, what is captioned, bears no resemblance to what is spoken. Letting the TV stations self regulate themselves was a major Howard government error. ALL prime time TV programmes are supposed to have subtitles. Off soapbox now, but as you may gather, this is a cause, close to my heart. Its reputed that about 25% of people have some degree of hearing loss, in Australia.

Last edited:
My FIL likes to ask them to wait a moment, then leaves the phone and keeps doing his own thing for a while.

This is my approach also, I hang up the phone after 1/2 hour.

Door knockers who ignore this http://donotknock.org.au/take-action/get-the-sticker-2/ if I'm in the mood, I will invite them in to have a seat then go about my business like they are'nt there. Very awkward and disconcerting for them. The stickers do a good job though so my fun is few and far between.

Having worked in a couple of call centres (here in Australia) for a number of years here are some tips

* If you are not on a do not call register then I have no sympathy for you. It is a good start so register and it will literally cull 75% of the telemarker calls (or it should).

* Silent phone numbers don't always work. You give out your number to many industries over many years. A listing from real estate agencies will have your silent number. Some call centres have access to this information (illegally). If you get a T/M ringing, best thing to do is advise them that its a silent number, most will be very apologetic and take you off their listing. They know its illegal to call a silent number but don't necessarily know your number is silent due to how they got access to the phone number listing, so let them know up front.

* If you get a T/M call and just hang up on them, this is the worst thing you can do. Most agencies train their staff to view this as a "bad time to call" rather than someone who isn't interested and they will ALWAYS put you back into their automatic dialler to call back the next day or another part of the day from a different T/M. Best option is to give them information they don't want to hear.
eg T/M "We are wanting to speak to home owners who are working". Reply back with something like "Sorry we are renting" or "We are all on the pension here". You are 100% no good to them, they will cross you off their list and never hear from them again.

I get my eleven year old daughter to answer the phone, most times they hang up on her. She used to get upset till I told her she was doing her job right. lol

Then I had the time I did answer to one of those Microsoft have picked up a problem with your computer do you have windows ? I kept asking 'Why' to every question she asked, I wasn't rude just kept asking 'Why'. The female got angry with me, said I was being rude and hung up on me ??? I laughed and laughed. All I wanted her to do is explain why she was asking the questions.

... Best option is to give them information they don't want to hear.
eg T/M "We are wanting to speak to home owners who are working". Reply back with something like "Sorry we are renting" or "We are all on the pension here". You are 100% no good to them, they will cross you off their list and never hear from them again.

That's giving them information you shouldn't have to, though.

Back