Skip to main content

Survivor: Season 36

I've never been a fan of Donathan, and I've no doubt they kept him as he wouldn't be that popular with the jury anyway. His outbursts at tribal don't look that effective. Last week he was too over the top in trying to get Wendell to play his idol which is why he wasn't taken in. This week it was like he was asking to be eliminated, and the reaction shots from the jury suggested they weren't impressed. By voting for Domenick he actually gave himself a chance to be eliminated as well.

Angela and Kellyn have had to wait on whether Laurel and Donathan would split from the power alliance in the tribe. Angela's immunity performance suggested she was trying to make herself as small a target as possible, as she wasn't really in danger this week anyway. If anyone has helped ruin the season it might be Laurel, she's aware of both idols and yet hasn't made any move, maybe she's just happy with 3rd place.

Totally agree. I was getting sick of Michael talking so much during FTC.

Underwhelming and totally predictable ending to a season of the same. I was hoping Donathan would shake things up more, but it limped to the end with dopey Sea Bass, insipid Laurel and idiotic Angela. Has she never watched an episode of Survivor?
All the distractions with past players detract from the game, and what exactly is the point of getting a kid to predict the winner out of a list of three?

Oh and next season looks awful, especially the Goliaths.

Underwhelming and totally predictable ending to a season of the same. I was hoping Donathan would shake things up more, but it limped to the end with dopey Sea Bass, insipid Laurel and idiotic Angela. Has she never watched an episode of Survivor?
All the distractions with past players detract from the game, and what exactly is the point of getting a kid to predict the winner out of a list of three?

Oh and next season looks awful, especially the Goliaths.
that one guy sounds like a Donathan clone

Surely Sea Bass should go down in Survivor history as being just as clueless as James and Erik.
At his last TC, in his last opportunity to use his extra vote... he not only casts the only vote for Donathan, but neglects to use his advantage to at least vote for him twice.

I agree with Sia that Donathan deserved to win something. He was the only interesting player this season, due to his willingness to take risks and follow his own path. I initially liked Wendell, but I think he got drawn in to the power struggle with Domenick, the result being that both came across as too arrogant and entitled, especially in their treatment of Donathan because he refused to roll over and play their game. Donathan handled the patronising "bro/brah" exchange perfectly.

That was like the worst reunion show ever.

Wendell was just a typical winner, simply the most likeable person part of an unbreakable alliance. So many people these days are playing to lose, at least Donathan played to win. Angela was a waste of a space, Laurel had no chance and Domenik was too abrasive to win against his competition.

If you have confident people outplaying a weaker cast it can still be good if they have charisma, but I never felt any of that from Domenick or Wendell. They were just serious and confident, no real sparkle or idiosyncrasy beyond that. And in a stronger cast one of them would definitely have been blindsided and that would have changed the game completely.

I can understand some of the popularity of Michael because he at least tried to make moves, and made a good move among that. Having said that some of his support is probably just because some of the demographic thinks he looks cute.

Having Laurel casting the deciding vote was a bit biased. She was better friends with Wendell, therefore she handed it to her friend. Surely a million dollar decision shouldn't come down to that?

They should have had an odd number on the jury, then less chance of a problem. A final two with an odd jury number would definitely mean no problem.

They should have had an odd number on the jury, then less chance of a problem. A final two with an odd jury number would definitely mean no problem.

I suppose they never know if they're going to get a medevac or someone quitting along the way either, and I think for many seasons now they have padded the casting just in case. If they had gone for a F2, Dom or Wendell would both have chosen Laurel and would consequently have won.

Having Laurel casting the deciding vote was a bit biased. She was better friends with Wendell, therefore she handed it to her friend. Surely a million dollar decision shouldn't come down to that?

Well that's kind of how the jury votes a lot of the time anyway. It's a primarily a social game, and Wendell's social game specifically with Laurel won him a million.

I suppose they never know if they're going to get a medevac or someone quitting along the way either, and I think for many seasons now they have padded the casting just in case. If they had gone for a F2, Dom or Wendell would both have chosen Laurel and would consequently have won.

Most medivacs are probably ok by final tribal council and can keep in the jury and talk to the rest remotely or even vote remotely or send in a question if need be. If absolutely necessary they could always do one of those twists where someone wins an advantage to get rid of a jury member to keep it at an odd number.

Most medivacs are probably ok by final tribal council and can keep in the jury and talk to the rest remotely or even vote remotely or send in a question if need be. If absolutely necessary they could always do one of those twists where someone wins an advantage to get rid of a jury member to keep it at an odd number.
Someone who is medevacced won't ever make it to the jury though. But yes, they could do what Survivor AU did and eliminate a juror, or go to a F2 instead. They did have too many players and (I think not for the first time) started the finale with 6. So yes, maybe they need a way to creatively trim the fat, go with a F2 and odd numbered jury. With F3 there has always been the possibility of a tie even with a prime numbered jury (e.g. 11 could vote 5-5-1 or 4-4-3) so perhaps after this they might consider that eventuality.

Someone who is medevacced won't ever make it to the jury though. But yes, they could do what Survivor AU did and eliminate a juror, or go to a F2 instead. They did have too many players and (I think not for the first time) started the finale with 6. So yes, maybe they need a way to creatively trim the fat, go with a F2 and odd numbered jury. With F3 there has always been the possibility of a tie even with a prime numbered jury (e.g. 11 could vote 5-5-1 or 4-4-3) so perhaps after this they might consider that eventuality.

Bruce Kanegai - Survivor: Panama. Evacuated due to severe constipation. Voted for Danielle DiLorenzo to win.
James Clement - Survivor: Micronesia. Evacuated due to MRSA infection. Voted for Amanda Kimmel to win.
Erik Reichenbach - Survivor: Caramoan. Evacuated due to severe dehydration caused by infected wound. Voted for John Cochran to win.
Neal Gottleib - Survivor: Kaoh Rong. Evacuated due to MRSA infection. Was removed from jury by Michele Fitzgerald (the first and only time such an advantage has been awarded in US Survivor), did not vote at Final Tribal Council.
Joe del Campo - Survivor: Kaoh Rong. Evacuated due to severe constipation and bladder issues causing risk of prostate damage due to his age. V0ted for Aubry Bracco to win.

And they will never go back to a final 2, Probst sees them as too predictable for the viewers and Terry Deitz losing the Final Immunity Challenge in Panama was basically the nail in the coffin for the Final 2. The only time they've done it since was the "back to basics" season in Tocantins, but that was widely panned by fans and critics.

As for the ten-person jury, I'm almost entirely convinced they did it to protect the person they wanted to win the first season they did it, and then they realized that an early merge minimizes the pre-merge flushing of idols; which in turn creates more "big moments" for the show.

^^ well don't I have egg on my face? What time did I post that? Oh, that explains a lot. :biggrin: :conf:

That's alright, the only ones I even remember are Erik and James, never mind who was mede-vacced or not.
I remember them, just not that they were still allowed to participate in the jury process. Doesn't seem right really. Either you're in or you're not. :D

And Laurel should have voted for Yanny, resulting in a fire lighting challenge. :roflmao:

OK maybe not. I'm quite happy with Wendell's win.

Back