Skip to main content

Survivor Season 33

Ahh, often the grumpy pushy old guy will trump lets dump girls for the first dump - just like des on ours

Goodnight, I will start a general survivor thread tomorrow @Mr Stickyfingers , so we can chat about stuff that puzzles first time viewers, and things we are enjoying, and just general stuff that doesn't fit in the other ep threads

Ahh, often the grumpy pushy old guy will trump lets dump girls for the first dump - just like des on ours

Goodnight, I will start a general survivor thread tomorrow @Mr Stickyfingers , so we can chat about stuff that puzzles first time viewers, and things we are enjoying, and just general stuff that doesn't fit in the other ep threads

...oh... cool bananas!... I'll pop in and check it out... thanks for letting me know... cheers.

Ep 3 - and it was good one

I wasn't expecting Paul to go to be honest, I thought the women talking about him going was set up to create suspense. Not that unhappy with the result as it stirs things up more.

Ep 2 was annoying because of so much on the showmance, this one had no problem like that.

A couple of moments I liked which really showed good communication and understanding the game, the guy who explained the need to flip the tribe that has the showmance, I hope his tactics pay off. And Jeff explaining very succinctly at tribal what tactical options should be considered, pointed out both sides rather than being too biased. Also a funny start with that woman who flipped earlier annoying the hell out of those two who got blindsided. Quite a lot in the episode and it felt like a pretty good example of modern Survivor.

Is it just me?

5eMjckz.jpg

It's pretty paint by numbers so far, with a fairly loathesome cast.

If they talk about work ethic and Gen X one more time I will scream. What about Winona Ryder?!!! They are just younger cocky somewhat-baked people and older tired people. They could not have found an overall less fit group of oldies if they'd tried.

Nice to see some good water-based challenges. And really enjoying Ken and demented Dave teaming up.

I think the Australian one has been shot exactly the same way, no difference at all. You'll get the same type of nature shots.

I think you're dreaming! The Aus one has lengthy pans from helicopters over vastly different scenes of natural beauty, close-shots of extraordinary beauty by someone who is deeply into their craft, and varied wildlife interspersed at far more frequent intervals.

The US has quicker pans of a far more repetitive nature, a sweep of ocean, a sunset, a bit of forest, all slotted in very quickly into the edit and not dwelt on - and so far for wildlife it's one fruitbat or flying fox or whatever that is, or another bat hanging here or there, over and over and over.

Reactions: kxk
I think you're dreaming! The Aus one has lengthy pans from helicopters over vastly different scenes of natural beauty, close-shots of extraordinary beauty by someone who is deeply into their craft, and varied wildlife interspersed at far more frequent intervals.

The US has quicker pans of a far more repetitive nature, a sweep of ocean, a sunset, a bit of forest, all slotted in very quickly into the edit and not dwelt on - and so far for wildlife it's one fruitbat or flying fox or whatever that is, or another bat hanging here or there, over and over and over.
I keep thinking that the bat we see in our series is really a Skippy type and goes back to report to Mr Hammond, sorry, Mr P, on what it hears and sees.

Sometimes there is a hidden message in these things. It can just be a visual metaphor - eg, a snake eats a rat, and then they show a strategist organising a blindside - but sometimes it goes deeper. For example, one season there was a little monkey thing that was often shown before scenes that had the eventual winner. The flying fox this season is probably a like this. He has already been shown searching the storm that shook the island, as well as soaring off etc - he is probably representing specific castaway or an alliance, or maybe a theme of the show.

Micheal Trudeau has an excellence blog on this stuff, hosted on the RHAP website.

The editing on the US one is tighter. The Australian one gives itself time to breathe and relax. Every scene in the US one is important. Australian still has some redundancies - eg, we didn't need 11 confessionals telling us that it was strange to be away on Exile Island.

Due to low ratings, Survivor has been moved to 11pm from next week.

Source:Tvtonight

Yes it's badly programmed by Nine, but it's also boring. Maybe I'm suffering Survivor overload courtesy of Ten.

...when I asked my sweet darling wife as to whether she was going to watch the US version on Channel 9 she told me "no!"... I asked her whether it was because it was on too late?... again she said "no!"... I asked her why?... she said... "because Channel 9 are just trying to cash in on Channel 10's ratings winner... they always do stuff like that... so stuff them!"... I thought 'fair enough point'... I'm wondering whether this could be the reason as to why others are not watching it too?... one thing that I learned from this is?... that I'm not the only one that hates Channel 9 on this planet!... lol!... cheers.

Just watched episode two. Haven't read any comments here because I won't see episode three til next week.

It's an ok season so far, but I feel that it's tainted slightly by running concurrently with our version, which is, against all expectations, so brilliant.

I'm not sure that the generation gap tribes was such a good idea, as it does seem that the Millenial tribe is full of vacuous idiots. Apart from Mikaila, she brings a bit of attitude. That tribal council was just embarrassing, and must have really annoyed Jeff.

Can't stand Paul on the Gen X tribe, what an arrogant plonker.

I'm not sure that the generation gap tribes was such a good idea
I still don't understand why they didn't have three tribes, X, Y and millennials. They shoehorned the Gen Ys into tribes either side. Very odd.

Back