Skip to main content

Survivor Cagayan: Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty

I hadn't watched survivor in so long and I saw one of the catch up eps at the start of the season and got hooked, ended up watching the whole thing. This was an amazing season! I loved Tim and Spencer, Woo was a sweetie but I would've been totally disappointed if he'd taken it out. I loved that he stuck to his word and took Tony to the end though, I think he knew he hadn't made any big moves and whoever he went with would have had a better chance of winning, of course he'd rather lose to Tony. I loved Spencer's speech as well! I was getting infuriated with the biting comments, and Trish's skeletor performance about swearing on people's lives. I understand to some people that's a big no-no but Tony said his wife told him to do whatever he had to to win the money and it was obvious how much he loved her and his daughter.

I saw the similarities between Tim on BB and Tony as well! I think that's why I got so hooked this season. People who go onto a reality show to win the money and put their all into it definitely deserve the win.

I believe that Kass could also have possibly won against Woo, but that doesn't make Woo's decision any less stupid, he wouldn't have believed anyone would vote for Kass.

There was virtually no chance of that ever happening. Rightly or wrongly Kass was hated (scratch that, DEEEEEEEESPISED) by at least half the jurors (Sarah, Morgan, Trish, Tasha, Spencer, Tony) who I presume would rather eat the most disgusting Survivor delicacy in perpetuity :D than give Kass the satisfaction of writing her name down to win a million dollars. A large part (I'd say 70%) of the game is the social aspect of it (jury cultivation some call it) which Kass clearly sucked at big time.

Woo on the other hand was a non-entity, he kept to himself and had little interaction with other castaways outside of Tony and Trish going by most players said in their interviews. Thus he was not very good socially either, and because of it hadn't garnered much (if any) respect as far the jurors feeling compelled to gift him a million dollars is concerned anyway.

BUT at the end of the day he was not hated. He was dismissed, held in contempt, whatever but he was not loathed. That's why I so so so desperately wanted Woo and Kass to be the Final 2; the teeth gnashing of arguably one of the most bitter (and for good reason) jury in the history of this game would have been GLORIOUS reality tv!

Woo vs Kaos Kass would've been a close vote but I think the jury's indifference to Woo would've been enough for him to win the million bucks in the end.

I am so glad It came down to tony and woo, because if it had come down to kass and woo, woo would have won by the sounds of it .

I think the editing has a lot to do with people's perception of who is a worthy winner and who is not. The highly biased/slanted edit that both Tony and Spencer got may make it seem like those 2 are vastly superior 'players' than Woo and Kass but I'm not one to drink that kool aid.

IMO both Woo and Kass are equally as worthy of being annointed winners for having made it that far, especially since they made it further than spencer. But producer being producers they do tend to play favourites and favour those who give them material to air that will attract the masses. Something that admittedly Tony, and to a lesser extent spencer, gave them in abundance.

Does that mean those 2 are more worthy/better player than Woo and Kass? Not in my universe, particularly when production allowed Tony to get an advantage by lying through omission about that special idol.

I honestly would not have had a problem with Woo winning because Tony was a paranoid freak that with another bunch of castaways would've been eaten alive and exposed very early on. He just overplayed his hand waaay too many times in the game and can thank his lucky stars that Woo and Trish were very stupidly loyal to a fault and allowed him to get away with such amateur idiocy. I'm sure that other allies may not have been as forgiving and taking out this volatile paranoid fool (Tony :biggrin: ) as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

Spencer also benefited hugely from being in the minority alliance and having to temper some of that unjustified smugness and patronizing demeanour of his. Had he been in a dominant alliance for very long I have no doubt that it would've put a huge target on his back very quickly and booted out as soon as Jeff and his parents predicted he would be.

There was virtually no chance of that ever happening. Rightly or wrongly Kass was hated (scratch that, DEEEEEEEESPISED) by at least half the jurors (Sarah, Morgan, Trish, Tasha, Spencer, Tony) who I presume would rather eat the most disgusting Survivor delicacy in perpetuity :D than give Kass the satisfaction of writing her name down to win a million dollars. A large part (I'd say 70%) of the game is the social aspect of it (jury cultivation some call it) which Kass clearly sucked at big time.

Woo on the other hand was a non-entity, he kept to himself and had little interaction with other castaways outside of Tony and Trish going by most players said in their interviews. Thus he was not very good socially either, and because of it hadn't garnered much (if any) respect as far the jurors feeling compelled to gift him a million dollars is concerned anyway.

BUT at the end of the day he was not hated. He was dismissed, held in contempt, whatever but he was not loathed. That's why I so so so desperately wanted Woo and Kass to be the Final 2; the teeth gnashing of arguably one of the most bitter (and for good reason) jury in the history of this game would have been GLORIOUS reality tv!

Woo vs Kaos Kass would've been a close vote but I think the jury's indifference to Woo would've been enough for him to win the million bucks.

I think the editing has a lot to do with people's perception of who is a worthy winner and who is not. The highly biased/slanted edit that both Tony and Spencer got may make it seem like those 2 are vastly superior 'players' than Woo and Kass but I'm not one to drink that kool aid.

IMO both Woo and Kass are equally as worthy of being annointed winners for having made it that far, especially since they made it further than spencer. But producer being producers they do tend to play favourites and favour those who give them material to air that will attract the masses. Something that admittedly Tony, and to a lesser extent spencer, gave them in abundance.

Does that mean those 2 are more worthy/better player than Woo and Kass? Not in my universe, particularly when production allowed Tony to get an advantage by lying through omission about that special idol.

I honestly would not have had a problem with Woo winning because Tony was a paranoid freak that with another bunch of castaways would've been eaten alive and exposed very early on. He just overplayed his hand waaay too many times in the game and can thank his lucky stars that Woo and Trish were very stupidly loyal to a fault and allowed him to get away with such amateur idiocy. I'm sure that other allies may not have been as forgiving and taking out this volatile paranoid fool (Tony :biggrin: ) as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

Spencer also benefited hugely from being in the minority alliance and having to temper some of that unjustified smugness and patronizing demeanour of his. Had he been in a dominant alliance for very long I have no doubt that it would've put a huge target on his back very quickly and booted out as soon as Jeff and his parents predicted he would be.
Well if you watch the interview with spencer, he himself admits had he been in the dominating group he may not have been the fan favourite, but the way it worked out made him the underdog, and people love the underdog. So I don't doubt that either. Tony and spencer did get a lot of air time but they probably gave more material for the producers to work with, and going by what the others have said, tony was switched on about the game and looking at every chance for the idols and what move to make next, so I do think he played the hardest. But you are right, kass and woo are not any less worthy of the million dollars, but for me personally, woo being a beautiful hearted person, unfortunately didn't make survivor what it is this season. If that comes down to the editing team, well that doesn't explain why even the jury seem to think it was tony and spencer (and kass, but she was hated so no chance).

In the past coattail riders such as Sophie and Denise have been gifted a million dollars SG. They have been credited and lauded for moves they had little to do with. Sadly they were mistaken as bona fide goats by aggressive players who were as dirty as Tony has been this season.

So I really don't see much difference with Kass and Woo and those 2 other winners I've mentioned besides the fact that they played much better 'social' games.

In other words they were not introverts who barely said word nor were they opposed to engaging their fellow players in conversation (looking at you Woo) to try to establish a connection/empathy if you do end up making it to the end. Nor were they outright agitators (aspergers perhaps or some other condtion that impairs their social skills?) who were blissfully unaware of how abrasive they came across (looking at you Kaos Kasss).

Like I said before the social aspect of this game is probably the biggest factor among jurors deciding who to give a million dollars. That's why those 2 were up against it in regards to winning and not because they were 'bad' players (or inferior to Tony and Spencer) per se.

I'm going back on what I said, and agree with you completely @Connoisseur. Russell used to say how the game is flawed or whatever, but tony proved it's not as he kept people on side in a way and that is due to the social side of it. He was personable.
You are happy that Tony won he because you found him entertaining throughout the season, I get that. :D

Whereas as don't put that much value in the silly shenanigans Tony got up to and thus gets very little kudos from me for that. There were also other reasons why I felt Tony shouldn't have won but I won't go into all that.

What I really enjoy the most from this show, is to see the so-called bitter jury get their comeuppance and be forced to decide who should get a million between people they have no respect for. Especially since I strongly disagree with their vile arrogant delusional sentiments that both Kass and Woo were unworthy.

I realise that I'm probably in the minority, I'm weird like that. :p

You are happy that Tony won he because you found him entertaining throughout the season, I get that. :D

Whereas as don't put that much value in the silly shenanigans Tony got up to and thus gets very little kudos from me for that. There were also other reasons why I felt Tony shouldn't have won but I won't go into all that.

What I really enjoy the most from this show, is to see the so-called bitter jury get their comeuppance and be forced to decide who should get a million between people they have no respect for. Especially since I strongly disagree with their vile arrogant delusional sentiments that both Kass and Woo were unworthy.

I realise that I'm probably in the minority, I'm weird like that. :p
I kind of feel robbed, normally you are more than obliged to point the wrongs of our thinking con, are you going soft on me :p

I couldn't stand tony at the beginning, funny that.

I kind of feel robbed, normally you are more than obliged to point the wrongs of our thinking con, are you going soft on me :p

I couldnt stand him at the beginning either but I am glad that he won,he played the game well and still managed to play a social game (if you watch the finale interview with Spencer he says how) ,Spencer went up in my book with his plea to the jury,this season was awesome because a lot of the players were there to play and showed us why we need all new players,would like to see Spencer as a returnee though,he deserves a opportunity to win

Although I wouldn't go far as to say I was a fellow Tony fan, I'm not overly fussed who won out of the Final 3. I was just relieved Spencer was bundled out, at the hand of Kaos Kass no less. Seeing the smug ranga prick finally put in his place by someone he saw as beneath him was enough satisfaction for me to take out of this season.

However BB fans who graviate to scumbags like Ben12, shallow bimbettes like Jade etc.. that's a significantly more serious issue altogether. That's a personality flaw that I have very little patience and tolerance for.

Back