Skip to main content

Survivor Australia 2016!

It looks like Australian Survivor is proving to be very popular:

Confidential
As thousands flock to audition for new Survivor series Commando is our call to be the host
November 24, 2015 5:49pm
Matt BamfordSydney ConfidentialThe Daily Telegraph
218b2a034e728f2cb8055ff407d31570

Steve Willis, also known as The Commando, is our tip to be the next host of Australian Survivor.

THOUSANDS of Aussies believe they have what it takes to outwit, outplay and outlast as crowds flock to sign up for the latest series of hit show Survivor.

With almost 5,000 applicants, it seems Aussies are already showing a keen interest in the reality show that is set to air in late 2016.

55f73721c36cd10a0ac05aae6ff51ec2

Steve Willis, also known as The Commando, one of the four trainers in the Australian version of The Biggest Loser,
Network Ten head of entertainment and factual programming Stephen Tate said it was the highest response to a casting call Ten has ever had.

“This is the biggest and fastest response we have ever seen,” he said.

Filmed at a secret location on a remote tropical island, contestants will be once again forced to overcome mental and physical challenges — and each other — to claim a cash prize.

Mystery still surrounds details for the The Channel 10 production, including the selection of a host.

v1

33237ae964d59ce1dae2475f09388d62

Contestants in the first Australian Survivor series being filmed at Eyre Peninsula, south of Port Lincoln which was aired on Channel Nine but only lasted one series.
Ten insiders are sizing up a number of potentials but judging from previous series, the final candidate is likely to be adventurous, charismatic and in peak physical condition.

Confidential thinks Ten’s resident fitness guru Steve ‘The Commando’ Willis should be a front runner for the job.

It will be the third incarnation of the hit series after both Seven and Nine produced versions of the show.

03400823ac6fc2ac9c28fe48fa3d700b

Lincoln Howes was the host of Australian Survivor back in 2002.
Known as one of the shows that defined modern reality television, Survivor is now in its 16th year and 31st season in the US.

Today the show airs across the world with more than 50 territories making their own local format.

Australian Survivor, the latest global series to be launched locally by Ten, will be produced by Endemol Shine Australia.

Source:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...ry-fni0cvc9-1227621399039#load-story-comments

lol. Nine Survivor was a clusterfuck.

I seem to remember something about the final four threatening to quit the show for some reason, and production told them that if they did go ahead and quit - the prize money would go to the last person that had been eliminated. Because they all hated the person that would have received the money, they backed down and continued on.

Edit: Found it on Wikipedia.

The behind the scenes show aired a few weeks after the series ended and was titled ' Surviving Survivor '. In this special, details were revealed such as the final four wanting to quit the show due to the sudden and dramatic turn of events in the nature of the game concerning Katie's behaviour (her mental breakdown right before the F4 Tribal Council). The producers threatened to hand the prize money to the last eliminated contestant (Sophie) if the F4 decided to continue to defy them.

Oh yes that was a train wreck from the first episode. And the guy that won died a couple of years ago too didn't he? I think the whole show must have been jinxed. Plus, it denied Australian viewers the chance of seeing Survivor Marquesas, so when Boston Rob returned in a later season most people had no idea who he was.

Oh yes that was a train wreck from the first episode. And the guy that won died a couple of years ago too didn't he? I think the whole show must have been jinxed. Plus, it denied Australian viewers the chance of seeing Survivor Marquesas, so when Boston Rob returned in a later season most people had no idea who he was.

Completely Cursed
Survivor contestant Joel Betts loses appeal against jail sentence for attempted murder of girlfriend
By court reporter Jamelle Wells
Updated 24 Mar 2015, 5:37pm

PHOTO: Joel Betts is serving a minimum 11 year sentence for the attempted stabbing murder of his girlfriend in 2010. (Getty Images: Sergio Dionisio, file photo)
RELATED STORY: Ex-reality star jailed for attempted murder
MAP: Chippendale 2008
A former reality television contestant who tried to stab his Sydney girlfriend to death has lost his appeal against his jail sentence.

Former Australian Survivor contestant Joel Betts, who also once worked as a staffer for Joe Hockey, is serving a minimum 11-year sentence for the attempted murder of his girlfriend Samantha Holland.

In 2012, a sentencing judge said Samantha Holland would live with "psychological trauma" for the rest of her life.

Betts' maximum sentence is 16 years.

He had pleaded guilty to stabbing his girlfriend in the back more than 20 times in their inner city Chippendale unit on April 17, 2010, when she went to collect her belongings after breaking up with him.

In appealing against the sentence his lawyers argued the judge should have considered the injuries he suffered himself during the attack as part of his punishment.

During the incident, which lasted for almost an hour, Ms Holland stabbed him back and he has a permanent bowel injury.

But the NSW Court of Criminal appeal found his injuries were self-inflicted or bound up with his criminal conduct.

The appeal judges described his attempted murder as an offence that was "so bad...it is not easy to imagine one worse".

They also did not accept that his behaviour was influenced by growing up in an atmosphere of domestic violence.

I seriously can't wait to watch this Hindenburg of a show.

Survivor contestant Joel Betts loses appeal against jail sentence for attempted murder of girlfriend

Oh god, yes, I had forgotten about that.

Hopefully the boffins at Ten will remember Nine's effort, and perhaps rewatch it to remind them exactly how not to make Australian Survivor

^^as for that article, I mostly agree except for the suggestion they throw in a couple of celebrities or Russell fucking Hantz.

The only one on Australian Survivor I liked was Craig, he deserved a better show.

Was disappointed at the time not to see Marquesas, which surely can'r have been worse.

Was disappointed at the time not to see Marquesas, which surely can'r have been worse.
That's the thing, at the time it was considered the best season CBS had made. Nine really shot itself in the foot. But back then they only had Nine and Nine HD, there was no Go or Gem and they probably had more content than they could actually air.

^ Marquesas had the first legitimate power shift in Survivor history but to call it the best season at the time is a little outlandish

Oh god, yes, I had forgotten about that.

Hopefully the boffins at Ten will remember Nine's effort, and perhaps rewatch it to remind them exactly how not to make Australian Survivor

^^as for that article, I mostly agree except for the suggestion they throw in a couple of celebrities or Russell fucking Hantz.
Hopefully they'll test everything out to make sure it will actually work. I recall a challenge from Nine's version where they had to keep a fire burning overnight, but because the area it was filmed was so fucking windy both flames were quickly extinguished and they played a game of Trivial Pursuit to determine a winner.

That's the thing, at the time it was considered the best season CBS had made. Nine really shot itself in the foot. But back then they only had Nine and Nine HD, there was no Go or Gem and they probably had more content than they could actually air.

If my memory serves me right I don't believe Nine ever really wanted to produce a localized version of Survivor in the first place... It had something to do with a stipulation in their contact and being able to retain the rights to the American version...

^ Marquesas had the first legitimate power shift in Survivor history but to call it the best season at the time is a little outlandish

I disagree... I think that is an extremely fair assessment... The Australian Outback really just road on the back of the original... It had nothing special in terms of game-play... Africa fared even worse... Marquesas really was a breath of fresh air when it went to air...

I disagree... I think that is an extremely fair assessment... The Australian Outback really just road on the back of the original... It had nothing special in terms of game-play... Africa fared even worse... Marquesas really was a breath of fresh air when it went to air...

But gameplay wasn't even the focus of the show when it started so it's not like Marquesas was a cherished season. Of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but it's not like Marquesas was considered the best, or even considered anything, by the general audience. Borneo and The Australian Outback were new and fresh and critically acclaimed, and the next season that received any sort of attention was Pearl Islands.

But gameplay wasn't even the focus of the show when it started so it's not like Marquesas was a cherished season. Of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but it's not like Marquesas was considered the best, or even considered anything, by the general audience.
I never said it was the best ever. Just at that time, way back in 2001 or whatever, there had only been three prior seasons, and this was definitely better than the two immediately prior. Possibly partly because it was the location - on an island again - and also because of the alliances playing out the way they did. I based my earlier comment on my American friends raving about how good it was, and I understand that back then that sentiment was quite widespread. Coming back with the hindsight of a further 30 episodes or whatever to say it was nothing special is a bit rich. Maybe by today's standards, but not, as I have said repeatedly, at the time.

Survivor Australia: How to get cast on the show and what star is winning the race to host?
December 2, 20154:34pm
e9d71051c2b6ab7a1cc5702fa5fb6d0e

Host with the most ... Jeff Probst is credited with the enduring success of the US series of Survivor.

Tiffany DunkNews Corp Australia Network
TEN’s decision to revive Survivor Australia in 2016 has generated plenty of buzz — and more contestant applications than any other show in the network’s history.

The number of those aspiring to outwit, outlast and outplay has now exceeded 6500 and the network said those numbers aren’t slowing down.

“We’ve had the biggest number of (contestant) applicants for any show we’ve done by a mile,” said Ten’s Chief Programming Office, Beverly McGarvey.

f409086c74fbccafdf72f58f5e5c7ee6

Outwit, outlast, outplay ... Jeff Probst doubles as host and executive producer for US Survivor.Source:Channel 9

“I’m talking thousands more, not just hundreds ... Getting Survivor right is the thing we will spend the most time on in 2016.”

With a small team quietly leaving the country this Sunday to scout an overseas island location, finding a suitable host will be the biggest hurdle for Ten.

61c5f1c7d6531924201762f14cd6aa9f

Early favourite? ... Rove McManus has an existing friendship with Jeff Probst which could help him land the job.Source:Supplied

In the US, host Jeff Probst is considered to be the lynch pin for the show’s success and as such pressure is on to find the right match. And an insider working on the show has revealed there are some surprising names in the mix.

While Rove McManus has been widely speculated due to his friendship with Probst, he is far from the leading contender, said our source.

e10f042ac3ba9bdf6040596586ce9a80

Big name ... Australian actor Alex O'Loughlin would bring star power along with his good looks for Ten.Source:Supplied

“Alex O’Loughlin from Hawaii 5-0 is being talked about,” the insider said. “Phil Breslin — who is like the Australian Bear Grylls is also a name being thrown around.”

edfea9afa3bcc93bef00daa3b13cf221

Ahoy there Cameron ... Having hosted Pirate Master for Survivor creator Mark Burnett, Cameron Daddo is considered a contender.Source:Supplied

Others in contention are allegedly Cameron Daddo, who previously hosted Pirate Master, a failed US reality series from the makers of Survivor, huge Survivor fan and former Australian Idol host James Mathison and Gretel Killeen.

285a005ccbb2550824cfb4b23b2752ea

Survivor skills ... Science teacher turned survival expert Phil Breslin is in with a chance.Source:Supplied

“If Gretel can wrangle a houseful of Big Brother contestants, she’ll have no problems with Survivor,” joked our source.

1b221304b16cfb3fa75b43fa43b04933

Quick to react ... Gretel Killeen would bring the quick wit needed to keep up with Survivor contenders.Source:News Corp Australia

The show is about six months off from being filmed with a hosting announcement not expected until the new year.

79b27226ddb53e7ed750598fbda82451

Knowledge of the game ... Presenter James Mathison is a long-time Survivor fan.Source:News Corp Australia

Meanwhile the next round of casting is being swathed in secrecy to keep aspiring contestants on their toes, but our source said there are some criteria all will need to meet to go far on the show.

“Brains always win over brawn,” said our source.

“We’re looking for Aussies who are not afraid to share their strategy and their feelings and obviously we’re looking to represent all walks of life and age groups.”

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/9e5114c4860b0d47048ecfe294b37c64

I don't know who he is but Alex O'Loughlin....hubba hubba. :inlove:

And I think a few people here may be happy to hear Gretel's name in the mix. :)

Survivor Australia: How to get cast on the show and what star is winning the race to host?
December 2, 20154:34pm
e9d71051c2b6ab7a1cc5702fa5fb6d0e

Host with the most ... Jeff Probst is credited with the enduring success of the US series of Survivor.

Tiffany DunkNews Corp Australia Network
TEN’s decision to revive Survivor Australia in 2016 has generated plenty of buzz — and more contestant applications than any other show in the network’s history.

The number of those aspiring to outwit, outlast and outplay has now exceeded 6500 and the network said those numbers aren’t slowing down.

“We’ve had the biggest number of (contestant) applicants for any show we’ve done by a mile,” said Ten’s Chief Programming Office, Beverly McGarvey.

f409086c74fbccafdf72f58f5e5c7ee6

Outwit, outlast, outplay ... Jeff Probst doubles as host and executive producer for US Survivor.Source:Channel 9

“I’m talking thousands more, not just hundreds ... Getting Survivor right is the thing we will spend the most time on in 2016.”

With a small team quietly leaving the country this Sunday to scout an overseas island location, finding a suitable host will be the biggest hurdle for Ten.

61c5f1c7d6531924201762f14cd6aa9f

Early favourite? ... Rove McManus has an existing friendship with Jeff Probst which could help him land the job.Source:Supplied

In the US, host Jeff Probst is considered to be the lynch pin for the show’s success and as such pressure is on to find the right match. And an insider working on the show has revealed there are some surprising names in the mix.

While Rove McManus has been widely speculated due to his friendship with Probst, he is far from the leading contender, said our source.

e10f042ac3ba9bdf6040596586ce9a80

Big name ... Australian actor Alex O'Loughlin would bring star power along with his good looks for Ten.Source:Supplied

“Alex O’Loughlin from Hawaii 5-0 is being talked about,” the insider said. “Phil Breslin — who is like the Australian Bear Grylls is also a name being thrown around.”

edfea9afa3bcc93bef00daa3b13cf221

Ahoy there Cameron ... Having hosted Pirate Master for Survivor creator Mark Burnett, Cameron Daddo is considered a contender.Source:Supplied

Others in contention are allegedly Cameron Daddo, who previously hosted Pirate Master, a failed US reality series from the makers of Survivor, huge Survivor fan and former Australian Idol host James Mathison and Gretel Killeen.

285a005ccbb2550824cfb4b23b2752ea

Survivor skills ... Science teacher turned survival expert Phil Breslin is in with a chance.Source:Supplied

“If Gretel can wrangle a houseful of Big Brother contestants, she’ll have no problems with Survivor,” joked our source.

1b221304b16cfb3fa75b43fa43b04933

Quick to react ... Gretel Killeen would bring the quick wit needed to keep up with Survivor contenders.Source:News Corp Australia

The show is about six months off from being filmed with a hosting announcement not expected until the new year.

79b27226ddb53e7ed750598fbda82451

Knowledge of the game ... Presenter James Mathison is a long-time Survivor fan.Source:News Corp Australia

Meanwhile the next round of casting is being swathed in secrecy to keep aspiring contestants on their toes, but our source said there are some criteria all will need to meet to go far on the show.

“Brains always win over brawn,” said our source.

“We’re looking for Aussies who are not afraid to share their strategy and their feelings and obviously we’re looking to represent all walks of life and age groups.”

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/9e5114c4860b0d47048ecfe294b37c64

I don't know who he is but Alex O'Loughlin....hubba hubba. :inlove:

And I think a few people here may be happy to hear Gretel's name in the mix. :)
Oh yes please Alex O'Loughlin...love him

Back