Skip to main content

Speculation: Big Brother Australia in 2019?

Just ripping off a respected bloggers article.
Typical beat up though. David Knox didn't even say it "could return" though. He just noted the same as I did in the other thread that the number of youtube views indicated there was still a lot of interest in the show, and that on his site "if there’s any show I continually see people asking to [be] revived it’s [Big Brother]". That's a far cry from "could return", which implies someone is actually considering it.

It would be amazing to have it return. Surely the audience is still there.

It would be quite amazing. But I'm not sure the audience would be there. Or at least the audience that an out of touch tv executive would expect for a show on a free to air network.

It would be quite amazing. But I'm not sure the audience would be there. Or at least the audience that an out of touch tv executive would expect for a show on a free to air network.

Considering the ratings Channel 10 pull in for most shows I can’t see BB’s ratings being that much of an issue. At very least ratings would be consistent with their current slate of programming... Also relaunching with a renewed creative focus and a revised format might be just what BB needs to bring people back to the show.

Kind of off topic but I've been watching Season 1 of The Block on Nine Now... Jamie Durie* hosting, only four couples in small apartments... ONE 42 MINUTE EPISODE A WEEK (and then they still put padding in like tug-o-war comp, couple winning a night at Melbourne's Crown, that kind of thing) but so much more watchable than the never ending stripped version they came back with after a lengthy hiatus.

People say 'back to basics' doesn't work, but if BB was cut down so that episodes were 42 minutes or less every single time, and put spin off shows on a multichannel it wouldn't drag on and dominate the schedule so much. Not saying anything that hasn't been said before though.

*Best thing is there is no Scott Cam, however this is partly offset by the exceedingly annoying Amity Dry.

Yes, I think I used to watch The Block back in the early days. Watched todays House Rules (that and Survivor are my Aussie reality fixes) and just realised the show had virtually nothing about the renovation in it - it was all built around Tim and Matt's decision for the early room reveal, where despite the editors implying the other way they went for the obvious and fair choice.

I do wonder though how Lego Masters and the likes of Ninja Warrior would have done if it had aired once a week (as it would in pretty much any other country) rather than squeezed into a three week slot in between the major reality franchises. To be fair to Ten they only really have Masterchef and I'm a Celeb which is stripped nightly - other formats like The Bachelor and Survivor tend to air over 2 nights, 3 at a push, but with stripped formats against them you do suspect they need to fight fire with fire and Big Brother is a stripped format ready to go.

Just thinking - can you imagine what the contestants would look like now? It'd be trout pouts at dawn!
Probably better off it not coming back!

Just thinking - can you imagine what the contestants would look like now? It'd be trout pouts at dawn!
Probably better off it not coming back!

To be honest I think you’re wrong... While popular trends might have changed there are a handful of reality shows recently that have proved that reality programming can still feel authentic.

BBUK’s final three series did a decent job at bringing a “trashy” reality program back to form. The relaunch of MTV’s The Real World on Facebook Watch has also throughly impressed me. Also considering how gimmicky the format was Channel 4’s The Circle did a decent job of producing a dramatic reality show without the overly contrived trashiness that they so easily could have gone with.

The relaunch of MTV’s The Real World on Facebook Watch has also throughly impressed me.

Was The Real World ever really good? I've read a little about the format and kind of failed to see the difference between it and (take your pick of Georgie/Jersey Shore/etc), but perhaps the pre-internet-fame era would have been more interesting/intriguing

In the early days of the show they touched subjects like racism, HIV/Aids, abortion, and other hot topic issues... It wasn't all hook-ups, stripping, and black-out drinking.

Sounds better than I thought. I'll have to chase it up.

Back